• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fxpose
    replied
    Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Originally posted by Hank10746 View Post
    Hi
    I may have missed it but what are the dimensions of the base. I want to build a 36" want to make sure I have enough space for insulation and not hang over. I was hoping to get it in a 48" circle.
    Thanks!
    My base slab was exactly 48" in diameter. With the decorative brick trim around the base and the finish stucco the overall exterior diameter came out to roughly 50".
    You'll probably have to go 52" base slab to fit a 36" oven.

Leave a comment:

• Hank10746
    replied

Hi
    This is the third time I have went through your build! This is what I had in mind before I saw it. I cant tell you how impressed with it. I may have missed it but what are the dimensions of the base. I want to build a 36" want to make sure I have enough space for insulation and not hang over. I was hoping to get it in a 48" circle. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hank

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by stephen*z View Post
    what did you use to attach the vintage bricks to the edge of yout table? I love that look and have collected a nnumber of bricks I would like to use.
    Steve
    Hi, I used home brew mortar to adhere them as I had an extra pail full of the mix. Regular bagged mortar would have been fine too.
    Those are not large pieces of bricks, they're 3/4" thick brick ends cut from full bricks. I also scored the inside faces of each brick veneer and the entire surface of the countertop edge so the mortar would grab.

Leave a comment:

• stephen*z
    replied

what did you use to attach the vintage bricks to the edge of yout table? I love that look and have collected a nnumber of bricks I would like to use.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by scottschmidt View Post
    My biggest concern is heat. the walls of the corner are frame/stucco. With your build, what type of heat are you getting off the exterior dome?
    Excluding the front vent area the rest of my dome exterior never exceeds 10 F above ambient air temperature at its warmest spot. The front vent area above the entry just gets warm to the touch, never hot.
    You should have no problem with your build as long as you leave enough air space between the dome wall and the house wall, ideally 6" (I read that somewhere). I only have an inch gap at two closest areas.

Leave a comment:

• scottschmidt
    replied

George,

I'm prepping for a corner install of a 36" Pompeii now...hope to begin construction Feb 1. I'm limited on space..59" total from corner to end before I hit a door. I think I'll be able to make this work...proposed dimensions are (36" + 9" bricks + 6" insulation= 52" + 4" for enclosure).

My biggest concern is heat. the walls of the corner are frame/stucco. With your build, what type of heat are you getting off the exterior dome?

S

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

A very clean design....Demonstrates uncommon skill with ideas and space. Good job! I wish I was as far along.
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-11-2011, 10:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alastaire
    replied

I have seen the snaps of three legged dome which is shared in post and i really admired its beauty and perfection.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Hi mn8tr,

Thanks!
    I used Quikrete 5000 bagged concrete mix for the counter. I have yet to polish the surface down and apply finish to it. The counter there has been so functional and convenient that I've been taking time to finish it. Just enjoying the oven....

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

That is a work of art. Great job of matching the oven design to the existing site.

What type of concrete did you use for the counter top?

I poured two separate tops and used a high yield strength (pre-mix) and it did not work very well at all. When the forms were removed it looked a little like baby swiss cheese which thwarted my plans of staining the counter.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks Tom. I've been firing up the oven at least once a week, and since our double wall oven in the kitchen's been out of order for some time now I've been cooking in the wfo often. I really enjoy using the wfo.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I really like the way your oven area turned out. It is functional, blends perfectly, and I know you use it often. Thumbs up!

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

I've been applying additional layers of white SBC to the entire dome, a small section at time, as time permits, each morning before going to work.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks Dino. Actually, about a month passed before I applied my second coat of SBC. The second coat is not completely covered yet. I'll probably do a little more today. As long as I keep the surface free of grime additional layers of SBC will bond properly.
    I've done patch work over old, dirty stucco and they seem to hold up for many years.

Yes, that's basil, and I agree it's a perfect spot for it. I'll also be potting some vine on the other side so they can climb and create a screen barrier between the oven and the driveway.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Looks great George. I like the vertical brick trim elements. You added your additional layers of SBC after reading it's better to apply multiple coats sooner than latter? Smart thing.

Is that a pot of basil on your new side counter? Perfect spot for those pizzas.

-Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X