X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fxpose
    replied
    Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Much of the finish work has been very slow as I've been using the oven instead.
    I added brick trimming to the concrete counter this week and hope to polish and seal the countertop sometime soon.
    I also applied a layer of white SBC to the oven's 3 base columns yesterday. The oven will get at least another coat of white SBC, top to bottom.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Very well done. Congrads!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thank you mn8tr.

I pulled the form off of the concrete counter and I'm very pleased with the overall set up so far. The counter will get a matching brick trim and I will finish the concrete counter top by polishing and sealing it.
    The oven will get another coat of white SBC w/acrylic sometime later this month.

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

Great design! Very original, can't wait to see the final product.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks Tom. Although the concrete 'looked' right while I was hand mixing it I think I over hydrated it because it was a warm day yesterday.
    I will look for a good sealer after I polish the surface.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Looks good, it should be fine with the support you built. That looks like pretty wet concrete though. Be sure and use a good sealer on it. I recommend a sodium silicate if you can find it in small quantities. And do not pay a lot for it, there are some scams out there selling it as a miracle cure under the name liquid glass. It sells for around 100 bucks for a 55gl drum.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

I poured the counter yesterday. I hope it holds and stays anchored against the block wall when I remove the form in a few days.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

With a little more reinforcement I'll be ready to pour the counter and support in one single pour. It's a small counter space, but sufficient enough for me and I believe it would compliment the oven well with matching brick trim.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks, WCD.

Neil..... I know you suggest this set up to me before as you have yours set up that way and it's a very practical set up. I originally did not want to crowd that area with a permanent counter space but after doing several cooking sessions with a small folding table next to the oven I decided I needed something permanent, but very small and not too high. So far that rounded 'countertop' is working out just fine without taking much space so I think I'm going with that design. The height of the counter is a minor inconvenience but I can live with that.

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

Have you considered making the table the exact height of the hearth ? Then extend it diagonally to the edge of the hearth, tangent to the oven opening (leave a 1 inch gap as a thermal break). This cantelevered edge could even be supported by the oven structural slab.

This will give you more counter space and, more importantly, you can then slide hot pots directly to and from the oven from the table without lifting them.
    Last edited by Neil2; 09-14-2010, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WoodchuckDad
    replied

that oven looks fantastic. I have Chimney envy.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by lwood View Post
    The white stucco looks great.
    Thanks lwood, but the oven looks too 'clean' against the house.
    I plan on applying a finish to make it look aged and used, but not abused...

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

The white stucco looks great.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

My stucco and finish (antique finish) are not quite finished yet but I'm moving on to the next phase of the build by forming a small concrete counter, mounted against the block wall.
    I'm using the form's base as a temporary counter to see if the shape and area are practical before I go ahead with it.
    Also, the counter on the felt side is perfect as I am left handed.
    Last edited by fxpose; 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
    Looks awesome! I'm about to take the plunge. I'm debating 36" or 42". Do you feel yours is in any way too small? We'll be using it for mostly 3 people, then to entertain more once in a blue moon.
    So far for pizza, no, it's not too small. I can only handle one pizza at a time anyway.
    But as for cooking other types of meals with multiple dishes and pans, I have at times wished I had a larger oven, perhaps around 40".
    OTOH, it doesn't take much fuel to bring up to and maintain temp in my smallish oven so I'm happy about that...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X