X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Looking good! Are you going to match stucco texture on the walls?

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks guys!

I think I'm just about ready to apply final layers of stucco at this point. I think I will use white SBC with acrylic.

I finally got a beautiful hairline crack in the dome and a nice stain on my landing. I've joined the club! ..
    Last edited by fxpose; 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• countryboy
    replied

I, too, like the brickwork! Nice. Glad to see it cooking, too!

Personally, I'm about a week away and getting excited!!

CB

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Grade A, it is beautiful, and we know it cooks. Salute!

Leave a comment:

• Millstone Man
    replied

Very nice. I really like your brickwork. Congrats.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Hi,

Since the curing fires a couple of weeks ago I haven't done much of anything to the oven except add decorative trims with bricks in an attempt to spice up the look of the oven. When I'm satisfied with the look I will begin final stuccoing.
    Meanwhile, I just had to take a little break from the oven (aside from actually using it to cook) and get back to the honey-do-this list which I have been neglecting the past few weekends....
    My wife is otherwise satisfied with my oven project as she's been happy with the end result: FOOD

George
    Last edited by fxpose; 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• turkey
    replied

Originally posted by Fish Wheels View Post
    You get my vote for "Best Project Using Available Space"
    The ribs are making me hungry...
    Rod
    I think the detail and level of finnish also is worthy of consideration, the bricks in the dome specifically are very neat, and i think with a smaller dome thats even more impressive as there is less room for error.

I do like the smaller build tho, perhaps as the plans for mine are revolving round a smaller oven.

nice to see it pumping out tasty treats as its supposed to

Leave a comment:

• Fish Wheels
    replied

You get my vote for "Best Project Using Available Space"
    The ribs are making me hungry...
    Rod

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

I added an accent trim of brick ends to spice up the oven as it looked a little too bland.
    I'm also thinking of doing a decorative arch over the gentle contour of the lip using the same brickends or thinner brickends from splits which I have plenty of.
    The oven still needs final shaping before finishing it with stucco.

Tonight I did some dino bones, corn, and potatoes.

George

Leave a comment:

• WoodchuckDad
    replied

As I was reading this,, I was thinking that I should thaw out some venison and cook it on the coals....You read my mind. I'm thinking I will do that very soon.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Dirty deer steak is a staple around here on the lease. I usually put some horseradish in the LPB dredge too.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Yeah, the steaks come out surprising clean and any ash or embers stuck on the meat brush right off. I did a couple of more dirty steaks over the weekend, including a chunk of tri-tip and they all came out good. They were fun and somewhat entertaining for family and guests who've never seen this done before.
    But I do miss my grill marks so I'll probably use a cast iron grate elevated over a couple of bricks next time.

George

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Ash isn't gritty, and it is sterile. It actually has no flavor generally, it is just an appearance thing. Dredge it through a lemon pepper butter sauce and it disappears.

Leave a comment:

• WoodchuckDad
    replied

That steak looks great. So is it gritty? what do you do to it after you pull it out of the fire?

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks again for the thoughts and comments.

I did not do much this weekend except add slightly more shoulder bulk to the shape of the oven with perlcrete and also made a temporary, quick and crude uninsulated oven door using what I found in my kitchen which fit perfectly with very little fabrication.

George

Leave a comment:

Working...
X