My 3-Legged Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Due to space constrictions up against a corner wall of my house I used 3" bricks for the first 3 courses. As you can see from the photo I now have enough clearance to use half bricks from the 4th course up. I doubt it, but I'm hoping this isn't going to cause a structural problem.
    My original plan was to go 3" all the way to the top.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

"I doubt it, but I'm hoping this isn't going to cause a structural problem."

Try it. If it is still standing when you put the last brick in, it is likely to stay standing.

Comment

A little progress this week...
        I laid course 4 and part of course 5.

Tomorrow, I'll figure out exactly how I'll bridge the rest of course 5. As the entry will be straight across at the top, I'll use an angle iron to bridge across like everyone else. I plan on using a 2" angle iron.
        This is also where I must decide the exact height of the entry which looks like a smidge over 9" straight across the top, as my revised oven height will probably end up being around 15". That gives me a 60% ratio.
        I'm wondering if 9" is too low for larger food items. It may be a little tight, but I'm thinking not.

Edit: As long as I can stick my head inside I don't think 9" is too low...
        Last edited by fxpose; 05-08-2010, 11:27 AM.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Saturday...

You and your camera will get dirty...
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Staring and pondering at the angle iron across the top of the inner entry before heading into work this morning I realized that I need to widen that cross top a bit more to support the full thickness of the course that will rest on top. I will add a second angle iron.

George
            George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

The space between the two angle irons could be the trough of your flue/vent.

Comment

I widened the thickness of the top of the entry by adding another angle iron. I'm feeling so much better now that I did this, and this morning I closed the course above it.

Neil, I still have plenty of space in front for the vent.....about 11" in front at its deepest point and more than 20" across, in an arc shape.
                In fact, I'm thinking of using an old lid from my 22" Weber bbq kettle for the vent by cutting it in half and making a cutout for the 6" pipe. I'm hoping this will draw nicely.

George
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Sixth course is now complete and I'm happy with the way things are turning out so far...
                  I had one sleepless night thinking about the vent transition but once it was right there in front of you things just fell right into place. I worried for nothing...
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Did course 7 today...
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Nice work. I just got through that vent/dome transition as well and know it is not too easy. Yours looks nice and solid.
                      Pizza Oven Picture Gallery
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/toddfas/PizzaOvenProject

Comment

Saturday night...
                        Last edited by fxpose; 05-16-2010, 10:50 AM.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

nice work keep the pictures coming

Comment

Your progress is quite an inspiration. It's making me wish I had cut bricks today.
                            WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

Looks great George. I like all the sticks holding up the bricks. It's the best way so you can keep working on other stuff. I'm glade you went with a angle iron opening. I haven't seen one currently being built and I think it's a great option.
                              Will the outer arch be an angle iron too or a brick arch?
                              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                                Will the outer arch be an angle iron too or a brick arch?
                                Hi, the outer opening will be rectangular as well, but will also follow the curvature of the hearth. But I'm not sure yet exactly how I'll 'form' this curvature.....most likely a combination of an angle iron and a flat iron/or rebars bent into shape and welded together. This will also serve as support for the vent.

George
                                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X