My 3-Legged Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 3-Legged Dome

George - Is symmetry very important to you? I liken it more to some of the dome adobe houses in Santa Fe rather than a stubby whiskey bottle. I vote for no symmetry, I like the shape now and much more height may be a little imposing.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

lwood,

I agree. I decided with no symmetry and went ahead and secured the sections of stove pipes. As shown in the latest photo below, the chimney is still not tall enough to code but I do have the sections to complete it. I'd like to mold around the base of the chimney with more perlcrete before adding more height to the chimney.
      Thanks for your thoughts as well!

George
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Round 3

I secured the stove pipes and molded additional perlcrete on the dome and part way up the chimney. I'm still unsure of the shape I'd like to end up with as I am not thrilled with what I'm seeing so far. I'm not so sure if I should stucco part way up the chimney or leave it naked from the dome top if I decide to go that route. Or keep a simple dome shape with a naked chimney.
        Good thing with perlcrete is that I can carve off what I don't like.

Deciding on the shape is becoming to be the most difficult part of the build.

George
        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Saturday: I cleared the oven from the previous night's curing fire and threw a big 6.5lb rack of spareribs in there, my first oven cook. I covered the entry and left the ribs uncovered in there for 3 hours. I was afraid of drying out the ribs but they came out just about right, not dry at all.

Meanwhile, I did a little more work on the chimney while the ribs were cooking.
          And this morning I started a new wood fire and upped the intensity a bit. I'm very happy with the way the chimney draws.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Nice looking ribs George. Isn't it great to start cooking in it? I like the way the upside down bottle shape is turning out. It's quite pleasing with the 3 legged stand. Can't wait to see the final product.
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

What temp did you cook the ribs at. They look great and the oven is fantastic looking.
              WCD

My slow journey to pizza.
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ing-12769.html

Comment

I hope they weren't Harry's Ribs

“I have always loved Harry’s ribs!” POP! goes The Vegan.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the shape of the oven is turning out looking like a hanging wine glass. The shape is starting to grow on me and seems to tie in well with the legs.

I threw the ribs in when the dome temp read around 350F. The floor temp was under 300. My family told me these were one of the better ribs I've done. I will be using my Weber less often now, seems like....

I temporarily extended the chimney stack and started another fire this morning.

George
                  Last edited by fxpose; 07-05-2010, 04:54 PM.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Thanks for sending me over here, George. I thouroughly enjoyed going thru all 10 pages of the build. You've done a fantastic job on that oven.

BTW, the ribs look great!
                    Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

• Re: My 3-Legged Dome

Thanks Mark! I love that bbq site, I've learned so much there.

I did some additional chimney work this afternoon and did some cooking in the evening as I continued curing the oven. I am now building larger fires.
                      I also need mount some sort of a brace to secure the upper stove pipe and cap the pipe.

George
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I experimented with some chicken wings and decided to do a dirty steak as well as I've never done this before but have read about it here and on other food sites. The steak came out great!

George
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

The wings and steak look great! I've seen the technique of tossing a steak right on the coals but I've never been bold enough to try it. You've got quite a versatile cooking apparatus there!
                          Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Dang, George! You're making me hungry! Nice to see you've wasted no time making excellent dishes in your oven. Ever think about making a classic Greek salad pizza with onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, feta and oregano?

Comment

"but I've never been bold enough to try it."

Try it. The very worst that can happen is you are out $5 worth of steak.

George. Great pictures. You are a virtuoso with a camera.

Comment

Thanks again for the thoughts and comments.

I did not do much this weekend except add slightly more shoulder bulk to the shape of the oven with perlcrete and also made a temporary, quick and crude uninsulated oven door using what I found in my kitchen which fit perfectly with very little fabrication.

George
                                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X