• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolf
    replied
    Re: Dolf's Bushveld Oven

Hi All
    After the Easter weekend I can again show some progress!!
    The oven is now completely covered and only the front top and chimney cladding needs to be completed along with final cleaning & finishing of the brick work. Not mentioning the rest of the lapa wall & pole work, the end is thus very near.
    I have made the first kindling curing fire and it draws most lovely
    Time will tell when the fires start heating up. but I am getting very confident.
    Work schedule hints that the next work will only be in mid-June, but I am getting very excited !

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Hi Dave
    Sorry for the slow reply - did not notice your response...
    Your Lion plan may well work as I guess would Leopard, but I do not feel like regular poo-run s to keep it all fresh :-)
    Lets see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

dear Rolf
    Why don't you fight fire with fire or in this case Poo with Poo... can't you get some lion poo and leave it around for your baboon friends...I bet you there not going to like it....
    Love the build by the way

Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

It looks like an Acacia, live fast and free, die young.

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

You touch a sore point!
    As you can see I built a table around the tree. In fact the position was partially chosen because of the lovely tree. Now it has decided that it had had enough and is dying!!! :-(
    Clever people tell me it has come to the end of its life. Reason I'm told being that we are on the mountain with a fairly shallow rock bed. Now the trees outgrow their space and die. Why they wont go side-ways I cant tell, but the end result either way is very sad news :-(

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Nice.
    I think the tree near the oven needs a drink.... but dont worry, if our weather pattern is anything to go by you will need to buy a boat after the drought.

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Problem with baboons gathering hands full of thatch or at tile roofs, collecting barge boards etc, is that they are not likely to stay around when they see people, so the pic is unlikely to happen. Unless you want a pic of baboon-poo :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. I attach a pic with a wider view. The pic is taken from the back, so the solar pannels you see on the right will be shielded when the lapa poles are up. I only plan 180 degrees of lapa so as not to close the view. That shouild take care of 80%+ of the winds :-)

Cheers
    Dolf

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Looks great Dolf. How about a picture with the baboon.

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Part 2............

ooops !! How'd that happen?

I am happy you are making progress again. You have a unique panorama of the horizon and a great oven build going on. Best of luck with the curing/drying ptocess.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hello Dolf,

That looks like a very nice start for a baboon monument. As long as you've made peace with the concept of visiting baboons why don't you go all the way with the idea and develop a theme park just for their entertainment, then charge an admission fee. Joking aside. I am happy that you are ma

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Guess i'm setting some sort of slow progress record, but at last got some work done again. Pic 1 shows the insulation build up and the other two shows progress after closing the dome and adding one quarter of the final rock stack

Now I need to cure the baby! We had some rain while in the state of pic one, so all that rain that went into the vermiculite will have made for lots of water trapped. Guess I will have to take it very slow?

Cheers
    Dolf

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Unless you have Gorillas nesting on it I don't think you need to worry (and probably not then).

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

That is what hapens when you want to keep things as natural as you can. Sometimes the leopard takes a buck and the porcupines are sure to eat the roots off any newly planted thing (hence the stack of rocks at the foot of my aloe)
    Dogs would definitely help, but then the ground birds and small buck that feed in front of our window, would also not stay undesturbed.
    No, as I said, I have made peace with it, I just need to make very sure my roof can support the load. Did anybody ever do a "destruction test"on how much weight a typical 42 can take?

Leave a comment:

• mn8tr
    replied

HTML Code:
    As for the baboons, maybe a spiked roof would encourage them to stay off!
    One of the more unique problems that I have ever heard about. What about two or three BIG dogs?

Leave a comment:

• Jaronimo
    replied

Shooting them could be a problem. I tell my kids you can kill anything you want, as long as you eat it. So, if you shoot the baboons your next project will have to be a smoker. I bet baboon could be pretty tasty after a few hours on the smoker.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X