X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: Dolf's Bushveld Oven

I wouldnt shoot them either, Id find another way to control/train/restrict them.

We have introduced Indian Mynah birds in Melbourne, 2 were released back in the 40's now they are a plague all up the eastern side of OZ.

Ive tried everything to stop/control them from eating the fruit off the trees, my latest weapon is severed halloween heads in the garden.

They got used to it.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-07-2011, 12:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

..but strange enough it does not always the desired effect! I read a very interresting article which shows that the social structures are such that if you remove the wrong individuals from a pack, the group discipline goes aray and then you end up with all kinds of negative consequinces.

I have made peace with the fact that we all share Africa and a compromise here & there goes far. I after all, I also get great value from the amusement they offer at times. Perhaps I do not pay for the show in money, but have to wash the oven/porch afterwards

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

This stuff always works.....

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Thanks for the advice folks. Great supportas always!

Some of my baboon responses are:
    # While an electric fence does not keep them out, it may very well make them want to sit elsewhere. maybe
    # As you say the rubber snake also works for a while, but since I am away for many days on end, that is unlikely to have a lasting effect. I have seen one of them playing with my neighbour's rubber snake. nope
    # The motion/sound one is new to me so I will chew on that some more. front runner
    # Better perch? Like my chimney I guess
    # The thorns do not do much as I often see them high up in trees with huge thorns. So spikes may take away more (ugly) than scare away. nope

None the less, thank you very much for all the effort you put into finding me options! I really appreciate!!

For starters I will see how bad it gets. There is not too much for them to eat & do in the area, so while they come round often enough , I doubt if they will stay that long, so my prime concern for now is to make it strong enough to take a few of them at a time with some added jumps sure to happen and from there see if/how bad the mess gets.

When the dome was done and before insulation, I very cautiosly stepped onto the dome as a tester and it took my 90Kg rock solid (half what I expected, yet scary/very satisfying )

Either way - oven building is great fun!!

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hi Dolf,

After my post this morning I did some internet research on "baboon deterrent" and found five things that might help keep the mess on your oven to a minimum. A large rubber snake or two will deter the baboons for awhile until they realize it won't hurt them. I've attached a wire to rubber snakes to deter quail and rabbits from my garden. Tug on the wire to make the decoy move while the animals are resent and they will scatter quickly.

Second is an infra-red motion detector that emits a sound that the baboons can hear. It scares them away when they come near.

Third is an electric fence. I've been stung by this kind of fence when clearing weeds and it does work effectively. I no longer clear weeds by the fence. LOL.

Fourth is to teach them to eat grapes. If you have a winery nearby then the baboons will go there to dine from the vines and sip a bit of pinot noir. I was surprised to read about the problems SA farms have from grape stealing baboons. Their fields are so vast and the troops so mobile that repelling the beasts is near impossible.

Finally, you might build a perch for the baboon lookout that might distract them from perching on your oven. A better place to see from, etc.

Cheers,
    Last edited by azpizzanut; 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM. Reason: correct mis-spelling

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Or a hot wire?

Ive got one of these and they pack a wild punch.....trust me.....it hurts.....

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hello Dolf,

Chris is right, something to keep baboons off the roof seems in order. Is there a local deterrent that they avoid, aside from lions? I'm thinking maybe a natural, organic plant or some such that you wouldn't find objectionable but would repel them.

Best of luck,

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Hang in there Dolf - your in the home stretch and things are looking good

As for the baboons, maybe a spiked roof would encourage them to stay off!

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Hi All
    As you can see a lot of time passed since my last posting. Changed jobs; so life work-wise has been hectic & no time to get to the farm. So then when I got there I found that bees have inhabited the woodstore part of my oven !!
    Normally not a big deal, but since I am very allergic to them, it was a bit of an issue to get them out.

Anyway, that done, I have now inserted the last brick , layed the ceramic blanket and is busy doing the vermiculite & cement outer. Again because of my friends the baboons who will surely use the nice vantage point to sit (& sh#t ) on, I am using some reinforcement in the outer cemement before I do the final stone layer.
    Pics below shows the progress. (The tin sheeting is just to hold the gap together with the bricks just as placeholders for the vermiculite)

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Because the oven is on the farm, I can only work when when family and work responsibilities allow me to go. These 2 are unfortunately not so predictable, so the true answer which may sound flippant, is "As soon as I can". Realistic guess would be that I should have the dome done I insulated end November, but the finishing with the rock may even take me to end January as stone selection/searching tends to be unpredictable. Gathering Klippies you may say :-) .
    I do not want to try her before I have done the final covering as the next few months is our rainy season and I want to have her sealed before I start curing.

Grant me patience Lord...but HURRY!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• heliman
    replied

Hey boet - that oven is really starting to take shape now. When do you expect to crank it up for the first time? Better have plenty of Klippies handy - that's going to be one serious bash....

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

You mean like this?
    :-) Never saw the "mouth" before you mentioned it!

Groetnis (Afrikaans for "cheers")

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hello Dolf,

WOW !! I see possibilities here......What a great opportunity to make an artistic construction feature of the "face" shape of the opening. Trim the final bricks in the shape of facial features such as, eyes, nose, mouth, chin and incorporate them into the final dome closure. Maybe only you will know they are they are there. Your tribute to the hard work of making the dome. An "oven saint" to look over your cooking efforts and an inspiration to your continuing efforts to perfect pizza and delicious local foods.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Eventually had a chance to get back to the farm again!
    With the very hard bricks, cutting is hardly possible and chisel breaks somewhat unpredictable, so I use all offcuts as well. I know it is not first prize, but at only a few cuts per diamond blade, I can not afford differently, so I have to live with the odd shapes.
    As you can see in the pic, I still have to clean properly and lost the circle, but I am 200mm from closed.

Still having fun :-)

Leave a comment:

• Dolf
    replied

Hi
    Another layer down. I am losing the circle somewhat, but am still optimistic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X