• Show
Clear All

new pics

Leep

Comment

The vent is in and the dome is a little bit closer
      here are 3 more

Comment

Gaps get bigger toward the top, but that's OK.

(M) Looks great! Don't be discouraged when you start to close the dome as the gaps between bricks tend to become wider.

Your work looks "As Good As It Gets"

Congratulations,and

Ciao,

Marcel
        "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
        but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Trapezoidal cuts in that last ring help close the gaps, looks great. Is your vent and chimney going to be swept back over the oven? Apparently that's the traditional Italian design, although I've not see anyone try it here.
          Last edited by maver; 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

WOW what a new saw blade can do. (ha ha)
            going to close the dome today.
            here are some new pic's

Comment

Yes, the vent is going too swept back over the oven.
              The chimney will come up from the center of the dome.
              At least that?s the plan.
              Unless I should do it different for some reason
              But I have seen it somewhere on the web
              I hope it works, OMG it?s a lot of work if it doesn?t

Comment

Re: My Oven/BBQ

Looks great to me Lee, excellent. The first fire is close.

Maver, I think the idea that the vent swept back design is "traditional" is an urban legend. They exist, but there are only a very small number of them. Virtually all of them go up. That's me -- Napoletana myth-buster.

Aren't new blades a great thing.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Traditional

I guess by traditional I meant that I read once that it's the VPN way to do it, but I've also seen it discussed here and the merits (the idea that the gases would help keep heat in the oven) seemed to outweigh the disadvantage (harder to keep the flu clean due to angles). I think Leepinla may be making an aesthetic choice, which I think may have more merit than either of the pro or con I listed.

Comment

Re: My Oven/BBQ (the Dome is done baby)

This build, starting in May, has been just a vision. just how I see it in my head, with no plains, just a crazy idea, and two years of reading Forno Bravo.
                    it was great, the walls, the harth, and the bricks, the build has been fun,
                    and today I closed the dome
                    The first fire is slated for Christmas day
                    and a Pizza New Year.
                    here are some new pic's

Leep.

Comment

two more brings you all up to today

Comment

The Great thing about a vision,
                        It can change in an instant.
                        hahahahaha
                        So, what do you thing about this?
                        It is easy to clean this way.
                        dont think I like the way it looks.
                        HELP

Comment

um, no

I agree with you, it's painful on the eyes that way. How about sweep back over the dome then angle it straight up, so just one angle (keep it to 30 degrees or less), if you have to clean, one approach from the bottom, one from the top. Cover the swept back part with insulation so it looks like it is coming back from the top.

Comment

I wanted it to sweep back and up from the middle of the dome.
                            If I use metal flex vent pipe and cover it in mud,
                            Then I can use a round brush on like a flexible snake.
                            Do you think that will work? And how much cleaning do you have to do?
                            Is it as bad as or worse than a fireplace chimney?
                            How long after the insulation is on, can I start the first fire?
                            Wanting to start Christmas day.
                            Thanks.
                            Leep.

Comment

Hi, my thoughts having recently gone through this.

There is a helpful thread on curing here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...uring-767.html

But in short, if you finished your dome on the 20th, cooking on Christmas day is out. You COULD light your first curing fire, but everything I've read recommends at least a week of curing before doing that. Low outdooor temperatures would extend that curing time. I waited a week in fairly moderate November northern California temperatures.

Don't insulate before your curing fires unless it's temporarily with an insulation blanket. Cracks are likely to develop in your cladding, and you want the opportunity to seal them before applying the insulation.

If you are going to insulate with perlcrete/vermiculite concrete, then either cure first, or apply the insulating layer(s) and wait 7 days minimum for them to cure as well. Perlite and Vermiculite soak up water, so that mix takes a long time to dry out.

Pizza for NY Eve is compelling, I know. If it were me, I'd not insulate, and starting about the 26th I'd run two curing fires a day till NY. You can light a curing fire in the AM, let it go out, let the dome cool, then light another in the late afternoon. Progressively hotter, like in the instructions.

Flex pipe doesn't sound like a great idea for chimney to me, seems like from the pics 1 straight piece to the dome tip, 1 angle and straight up would achieve nearly the same thing. Flex pipe would be harder to keep clean.

good luck!
                              - JC

Comment

Originally posted by Leepinla View Post
                                I wanted it to sweep back and up from the middle of the dome.
                                If I use metal flex vent pipe and cover it in mud,
                                Then I can use a round brush on like a flexible snake.
                                Do you think that will work? And how much cleaning do you have to do?
                                Is it as bad as or worse than a fireplace chimney?
                                I have a rectangular terra cotta chimney that I have so far not needed to clean, although I've only had my oven operational for about four months. I agree with JC that flex metal pipe is not ideal. The gases from the oven are quite hot with almost no particulate once it's up to temp, but as you are bringing it up to heat you do release soot and creosote, so not as bad as a fireplace chimney.

Comment

Working...
                                X