42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

Well....after weeks of negotiating with the wife, a month of planning, a couple days of rain (in Phoenix go figure), and busted sprinkler line (which filled my foundation up 6" because I forgot to turn it off overnight), and three hand-prints later, I have "officially" past the point of no return.

So, for those of you who care.....here is my progress:

Re: 42" Corner Unit - Phoenix

Interesting shape. I assume the small angled corner is in the back.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

You are correct. It was one of two last minute design change at the request of my wife. We laid it all out and she was talking about how it would be nice to have it rounded so that it would open up access to the side yard a little. I looked at the design and determined that it was just dead space and could be easily lost. However, I decided to just clip the corner to simplify the overall construction. I would have thought about clipping the sides as well but I need them to tie into the counter tops which will eventually form an L shape.

Comment

Looks like a good start! Approval from the wife can be the hardest part of a big oven.
        Reduce, reuse, recycle your old fax machine in favor of an internet fax service.

Comment

I care!
          Looking forward to watching the build. Good Luck!

Comment

Hi dtrbovich,

We're building our ovens at the same time. I live in Glendale near Arrowhead Ranch.

Your base slab and mine are similar since we don't need a deep footer or excavation. Look at the one tusr18a did. He replied to a question of mine on the Newbie forum yesterday and included a series of photos of his build. AWSOME !!

Cheers,
            Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. Needless to say?..the pizza oven bug has bitten me pretty hard. It is amazing to see what some other builders have done and how it all seems to build off of what the prior builders did and what mistakes they made. The shear wealth of information and expertise on here is awesome. Thank god that I switched from a bread oven to a pizza oven.

Well?.I was at it again last night and I am pleased to say that 45 degree angles with dry stacked concrete block aren?t nearly as difficult as I thought they would be. As a mater of fact?.they are pretty darn easy.

Here is my update and a picture of my progress from a couple hours last night and my future source of fire wood (a mesquite tree ? they grow like weeds here in AZ)

BTW?azpizzanut, at what stage are you on your build? And yes, it is very nice that we don?t have to do a full foundation. At it is even better that we can build year round with our weather.

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

The insulation hearth is now complete. I added four inches of perlite/cement and one inch of castable insulating refractory cement over that. I had the insulating refractory from another project and there was a bag and a half left over. Phoenix Brick Yard carries it.

If you decide to use a castable insulating refractory you don't need to make the hearth insulation layer so thick as you would if using perlite or vermiculite cement mix. Note the 2" thickness of the FB board insulation compared to an equivalent of perlite or vermiculite insulation 4". It is so much more efficient you don't need as much. In my case, I wanted to use up the insulating refractory and try my hand at using the perlite/cement mix. I was surprised at how solid the perlite/cement mix set up.

If you decide to make your own insulation you can buy Perlite at HD or Lowe's. You will need 4-6 cu ft. It is about $17 per 2 cu ft bag. You should avoid "block core filler" type perlite since it has silicone mixed with it. It is cheaper per cu ft but some oven builders found it harder to mix since the silicone repels water. Thankfully HD and Lowe's have the right kind and masonry supply stores carry the other. There is a factory in Chandler that manufacturers perlite but they don't have a retail counter.....I tried.

I'll be busy tomorrow cutting bricks for a 36" Pompeii oven. Thank goodness there were saws on special at Harbor Freight recently. Their 10 inch saw may still be on sale. Check the Sunday newspaper for a 20% off coupon. You can get it for less than $200.

Best wishes
                Bob

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your progress. So far, so good!
                  My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Almost ready to pour the hearth...

Comment

Azpizzanut,

I appreciate the help and the tips. You have been a huge help. I just poured my hearth last night (I will post a picture tonight after the side forms are stripped) and I am getting ready for the insulating layer (which should be interesting).

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Target tile saw a few years back and so I am lucky to be able to justify its purchase once again. Now?if only I had purchased a concrete mixer. It would defiantly be paid off by now

If you have a second?.I have a couple of questions for you (or anyone who might know the answers):
                      1. Where are you getting your brick? I know that Marvel caries ?refractory brick? but I also know that Home Depot caries ?fire brick? (which are a little cheaper). And so at this point, I am trying to figure out if the Home Depot bricks will work. I like the color of the other but I am not sure that it is worth the extra expense. Plus?it is pretty darn nice to just drive 3 miles to pick up a couple extra brick whenever I need them.
                      2. Where are you getting your Fire Clay?
                      3. What method are you going to use to set your dome?

Thanks and take care!

Dtrbovich

Comment

Hello Dtrbovich,

Home Depot carries fire brick?????? I searched several locally and none carried any. There is a fellow out in Litchfield who has used fire brick for .25 cents each. (I am fairly certain they came from the old Reynolds Aluminum plant in Phoenix) I picked up 125 from him after going through about 250 to get those with nice clean faces. He has tons of them as well as other brick, and scattered all over his property.

Fire clay is available at Border/Marvel Builders Supply. Several valley locations.

My 36" Pompeii will have flat half bricks laying on the hearth with no mortar. The next ring will have mortar.

Something to consider about fire bricks. They are NOT all the same. They are different sizes by as much as 3/16" between manufacturers and some are heavier than others. Keep that in mind if you combine bricks. Also, some manufacturers bricks are pressed into a mould and seem fairly uniform with straight sides and top. Other firebricks are extruded from a machine and cut with a wire or other device and have uneven sides. You'll get frustrated trying to level them and align joints. These extruded bricks are ok for the dome but are the least desirable for the hearth. Muddox brand are very heavy but extruded. Remember, we're talking about suitability for a wood fired oven hearth. They're fine for other aspects of the build. They are a little thicker than the red fire brick I made my hearth from.

Finally, there are fire bricks with a rough surface. It looks like sand or clay grit was caught on the cutting wire and made tracks across the face of the brick leaving the grain of grit at the "front" groove. It looks as though it were a comet. Again, not suitable for a hearth since the grits can come off if you catch them with a peel.

I got several hundred red moulded fire bricks from Phoenix Brick yard at 7th Avenue & I-10. They are not cheap at $2.25 each.

Harbor Freight may still have their 3 bag mixers on sale for something just over $200 if you use the 20% off coupon.

What part of Arizona do you live in?

Cheers,
                        Bob

Comment

Azpizzanut,

Once again...you have been a huge help. I ended up going round and round on my bricks but ultimately ended up going with Home Depot. At $1.16/ea the deal was just way too good to pass up. When I compared them to the ones at Marvel, they seemed to be very similar and so I am thinking that they should work just fine. But I guess I will find that out in a month or so

I am actually in Gilbert or more specifically the very SE edge of Gilbert. How is the oven construction going with you? Are you using a form or the indispensable tool? I am personally leaning toward the tool myself but I am currently undecided.

Dave

Comment

Allright......all forms have been removed (especially the ones holding up the structural support slab) and I am ready to start bricking!!!! Thank god my wife isn't judging me on the mess I am making!

Comment

Hi Dave,

The indispensable tool is easy enough to make and it can be passed along to a new builder when I'm finished. I'll make it during the week and get some bricks down right after. There are a hundred bricks cut and waiting and a fresh bag of HeatStop 50 begging to be opened. LOL

Cheers,

Bob
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X