My attempt at WFO in CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My attempt at WFO in CT

Ok so I've been trolling this forum for months now. I've also been researching and reading as much as I could about WFO's. I actually tried to hire 2 or 3 masons to build it for me but none ever returned phone calls. Go figure. I am quite handy. I build decks, patios, sheds, garages whatever but masonry (NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL!)

After viewing numerous pics on this forums, reading the FB build instructions and watching some youtube videos I decided to give it a shot. Many thanks go out to this forum and particularly ken4pizza's youtube video on dome construction. I decided to remodel my entire patio to include a new firepit, my existing meatsmoker, a brick oven, and side counters. Here's the progress pictures...

More coming soon...
    Attached Files

Re: My attempt at WFO in CT

That is a good start on a BIG project

There is enough help here on Fornobravo.com to boost you over those tough spots that will come up. Keep up the good work!

What insulation are you planning for the floor of the oven?
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi JA,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found my video helpful! Like you, this was my very first masonry project. We really love our oven.

Keep posting the pics and good luck with your project. We are here to help.

Don't skimp on the insulation
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
        That is a good start on a BIG project

There is enough help here on Fornobravo.com to boost you over those tough spots that will come up. Keep up the good work!

What insulation are you planning for the floor of the oven?
        The hearth and floor are already complete. I followed the FB instructions and did a 3.5" remesh structural with a 4" vermiculite/portland insluting layer. Hopefully it is enough.

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
        Hi JA,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found my video helpful! Like you, this was my very first masonry project. We really love our oven.

Keep posting the pics and good luck with your project. We are here to help.

Don't skimp on the insulation
        I bought two rolls (50SF each) of 1" thick fiber blanket for the outside. I was going to coat over that with a 2" layer of vermicrete. Do you think this is enough? Also wont the weight of the vermicrete compress the insulation thereby rendering it less effective?

Comment

5 more pics...

Comment

He He He Fire !!! Gotta have plenty of wood when you're running a firepit, wood oven and a meatsmoker. Ok yes, I am insane. My wife tells me this regularly.

SHould I be concerned about filling in the voids 'grouting' the gaps on the inside of the dome. In my limited experience some areas come out messy (mostly near the top) and some spots between the bricks inverted v's could use some more heat stop. Or am I just being anal?

Comment

Sounds like your insulation plan is great!
              I wouldn't worry too much about the touch up work unless you want to do it for aesthetics. Once you insulate, you'll be in good shape.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

hello ja.., now that is how a fire-pit is suppose to be lit . your doing a great job .keep up the work best of luck ., john

Comment

Well, haven't been on the forum for a while but I have been busy. I am nearly finished with the entire project. Here are some progress pictures. More to follow...

Comment

Even though I though I was curing the oven slowly, I guess it wasn't slow enough and I generated a fairly large crack. Dammit.

Comment

The enclosure went up in early May.

Comment

The enclosure went up in early May.

Comment

The finished patio, brick oven with enclosure faced with stone and counter tops with back splashes.

Comment

The last picture...

Comment

Great looking oven and patio, nice job.
                              "You can tell a dutchman,
                              but you can't tell him much"

Comment

Working...
                              X