Down Under Brick Dome Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

Once the stand was complete I put the formwork up for the hearth slab.

I cant remember who it was but the tip to tape up the screws on the formwork to keep them clean was a great idea. Made taking the boards off a breeze.

I am glad this part has finished I can finally get started on the oven

Comment

Gudday
      A little baby girl....Congratulations!
      Like the stand and top....neat work. But just in case you have forgottten a bit over the 6 months.....insulate insulate insulate.

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Quality looking stand and hearth. Looking forward to seeing the oven construction. I guess it is your Summer now although I am not sure whether the Blue Mountains get snow or not, aren't they located west of Sydney?
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

That curb in front of you oven bother the heck out of me. I see myself stumbling with a shovel full of hot coals or a perfect pizza. Even if you get use to it family and friends may not. Maybe its just me, I tend to be the clumsy type.

Comment

Congratulations on your baby girl! I've got a couple of my own (plus two boys) - call me lucky.

Love the brick work. Looks like a larger brick size than we typically see around here - very handsome.

I don't mean to pile on, but I must say I share Laurentius's concern about that curb. You will be spending alot of quality time in front of the oven and you don't want to be stepping over and around that curb all day or stradling it while you're cooking.....Much worse having somebody get hurt. Have you thought about cutting an entry way through it? - might help to incorporate the oven with the rest of your yard.

Regards,
            AT

Comment

The "curb side" doesn't have to be the front, could be the back although it seems a little awkward. Maybe it could become the side? I know after a few glasses of wine I would be tripping over it.
              Last edited by Les; 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM.
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                That curb in front of you oven bother the heck out of me.
                Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
                I must say I share Laurentius's concern about that curb.
                I thought the same too when I saw the pic, I just assume it will be removed later on?
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Cookie Monster, you write with a heavy Australian accent!

I think the location looks great.

Comment

Champions,

Thanks for the comments. It's been a very long slow process but I think I'm not the only one in that boat!!

Dave:
                    Thanks mate she is a beautiful girl. She is very happy and healthy we are very lucky!!! I have not forgotten about the insulation. I am going to insulate the hell out of this thing!!

UtahBeehiver:
                    Yeah we do get a little bit of snow buy only a light dusting once in a blue moon. That's right up the top around Katoomba about 1100 meters above sea level. We are not up high enough to get snow here although it feels like it might sometimes. Nothing like you guys get over there. Yes your right we are about an hour and a half drive west of Sydney.

Laurentius:
                    Yeah mate the garden edge will go to make way for a work / outdoor entertaining area. I have already tripped over the bloody thing several times so far... I would hate to lose a pizza or even worse a beer due to that thing!!

ATK406:
                    Thanks for the kind words. Congratulations to you too!! I might curve the garden edging to meet up with the oven so it all flows nicely. I will be adding extra benches and wokspace later on when funds allow.

Les:
                    Yes the curb side is the front. I don't even need a drink to trip over it

brickie in oz:
                    You know what happens when you assume things mate!!! This time you were right

jeeppiper:
                    The accent is a hell of a lot heavier when I talk Thanks mate. Once it is all knocked together and the landsaping is done it should look like a beauty.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster
                    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Started gathering supplies for the oven. It's very expensive stuff. Good thing the build is taking so long it allows me to spread the cost out over a longer period.

I will be using 100mm thick Hebel Blocks for the under hearth isulation.

I have dry pressed solid clay cream bricks which I will be using for the floor and dome of the oven.

Comment

Hi Cookie,

"dry pressed solid clay cream bricks"
                        You're confusing the heck out of me. Is this an Ozzy name for fire bricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                          Hi Cookie,

"dry pressed solid clay cream bricks"
                          You're confusing the heck out of me. Is this an Ozzy name for fire bricks?
                          Firebricks is firebricks, even here.....
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster View Post

I have dry pressed solid clay cream bricks which I will be using for the floor and dome of the oven.
                            Holy crap - you are making your own brick? You need to start raising the water Buffalo for good cheese Pretty cool dude!
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                              Holy crap - you are making your own brick? You need to start raising the water Buffalo for good cheese Pretty cool dude!
                              Sorry Les I left a word out there

I have purchased dry pressed solid clay cream bricks which I will be using for the floor and dome of the oven.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the under floor insulation layer. 100mm thick Hebel blocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X