Down Under Brick Dome Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

I have just used an offset pattern for the floor.

Comment

Once I started cutting bricks for the arch and dome transition I realised the angle grinder wasnt going to be accurate enough (Maybe just the guy holding it wasnt accurate enough) Plus I didn't feel that safe using it and knew it could go pear shaped pretty quickly.

So with brick saw's retailing for around $1000 AUS and 1 day hire $165 + Blade wear I decided to go out and buy one of these for $125

RYOBI Tools

It's a beauty. Just have to flip the brick over and cut it from the other side to get all the way through but I dont mind. Works like a dream compared to the angle grinder. Just have to pull the brick towards you instead of pushing it into the blade. Stops you getting sprayed with water and clay.

Most of the dome I am just halving bricks with the bolster but this is fantastic for some of the fancy cuts where it needs to be pretty spot on. Should be great for closing the dome also and the keystone.

Comment

Finally started on the dome.

First course laid flat on the floor no soldier course.

I only used 7mm ply for my floor template. That was a mistake. With a bit of rain it is bowing and flexing so I have had to put bricks all over it to keep it down flat.

It seems to be going ok so far. Two chains have been completed with some motar joints to fix up.

Rather than build the arch all in one hit I have decided to build it as the dome goes up. I think that will make it easier to cut the transition and build it in situ rather than try to predict the angles.

Comment

Thanks Doug

I only hope mine turns out half as good as yours and I will be happy

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Slow progress... Cutting the arch bricks as I build each chain. Just using some cardboard templates to mark up the bricks as I go.

Comment

I got a bit ahead of myself and decided to finish the Inner Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster View Post
                I got a bit ahead of myself and decided to finish the Inner Arch.
                Seems it is impossible to resist. I had the same problem

good looking arch
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  Seems it is impossible to resist. I had the same problem

good looking arch
                  Thanks Mate

Comment

The whole idea of using arch bricks goes down the drain when you see huge mortar joints like that.

Comment

I have just used an offset pattern for the floor.
                      Herringbone would have been a lot smarter, less bumps and grinds over the edges of the bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
                        The whole idea of using arch bricks goes down the drain when you see huge mortar joints like that.
                        Well for someone who hasn't laid a brick in his life before this project, I am pretty bloody happy with it. It's still standing and I dont think it's going to make the pizza taste any different.

Comment

Well for someone who hasn't laid a brick in his life before this project, I am pretty bloody happy with it. It's still standing and I dont think it's going to make the pizza taste any different.
                          Right On! Your Arch looks symetrical and neat. I've seen bigger mortar joints posted on this site with no major issues reported. Technically the mortar joint shouldn't be more than 3/8" - 1/2" and it looks like you are inside that realm. Keep up the good work...and above all enjoy yourself this is a project that might take all summer, but it will last you a life time.

Regards,
                          AT

Comment

G'Day,

I have finished the dome quite a while ago. However my phone decided to wipe the SD card so I lost all the photos of it's completeion and the keystone.

I managed to get some time on Sunday to work on the oven. I finished the Outer Arch which I am happy with. Now I will wait for that to set and get to work on the Chimney transition.

I have a chimney cap that I need to incorperate into the design. Any advice from others would be appreciated.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the arch and completed dome.

Not long to go now. I think I will be cooking soon

Comment

Gudday
                                Good to see your progress don't worry your doing pretty well for a man that hadn't layed a brick till he started this. It very neat work including the stand, I do like brickwork stands. Your little girl would be one now I bet she's become a lot of fun now she's older.
                                Your in to the chimney transition now I would chech out Bacteriums 2nd build in the Auzzzie section .....he just about to do that part and there some pics of other s on that discussion already

Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X