Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

Hi CM

Your oven's looking good. You're not far off pizza now.

I think every arch to chimney transition is different. You have to build a flat square structure on top of the arch and that makes for some of the most difficult cuts in the whole build. I looked at lots of pictures of other builds, and then did something different anyway.

Where did you buy your chimney cap? Is it an 8 inch?
    Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes my daughter is almost One!! I cant believe how quickly the time has gone!! She is crawling around, starting to say a few words and is so much fun.

Sharkey
      Chimney cap is from GYC Mowers & Heaters in Penrith. Yes it's 8". Not something they normally keep in stock they had to order it in.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Matt,
        Funny how we are on the same thing....your pics with the top view is good. Sharkeys comments on the flat square structure is the answer......... I can't get to mine done until the weekend and with that being mothers day it might rule me out.
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hey Damon,

It feels like I have been building this thing my whole life. April marked the one year anniversary. Hopefully we can help each other out with ideas for the final stages of the build. Although you have been there and done that before.

I have started thinking about cutting bricks for the chimney. I am in the same boat. It's dark by the time I get home during the week. With Mothers day this weekend I think that will rule me out also.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster View Post
            It feels like I have been building this thing my whole life. April marked the one year anniversary.
            I know how you feel. I started in September 2009 and can't see myself finishing in the next 12 months. Once you're cooking though it doesn't seem to matter. Just keep working at it and you will get there.
            Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Matt,
              Last night I setup a floodlight and put some vermicrete in my thermal break.
              Might play around with pencil and tape measure over the next couple of nights on the square transition.
              Last oven flue was easier as it sat outside the facia and I just bracket off that......also the transition was a bit rough and it cracked, but didn't really move as such.

No worries will post pics as I progress.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Sharkey,

That's understandable with yours. You have had some much rock to cut through and move. You should get a job over in the mines!!!

Damo,

Sounds good mate that should allow you to get a bit more done in faster time. I am not going to use vericrete in my thermal break. I have about a 2-3mm gap between the bricks that I am going to fill with this stuff. It was recommended to me by Lee at Field Furnace. Should help with momement between the arch and dome with different expansion rates.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

The next day I pulled out the formwork and cleaned up the inside of the arch.

Comment

I decided to whack on a rough coat of render (high temp motar) to the dome. The outside of the dome was a bit rough as I had halved all the bricks with a hammer and bolster. I think it might be better to have nice smooth contact with the insulation blanket.

Hopefully have the chimney on this weekend and then I will start curing fires

Comment

Is it the camera angle or are those bricks in the entry arch extra long? I can hear brickie shaking his head but having no knowledge about bricks generally it is a genuine question.

Cheers............ Steve
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hey Steve,

Yes you are right they are extra long bricks designed specifically for the entry. They are 345mm long.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

That's a relief. Can cancel the appt. to get the eyes checked. Your oven looks good! You are getting near the tasty part and the reward for the labours.

Cheers............ Steve
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Finally got a bit more time to work on the oven.

Finished the brick work for the chimney transition. Spent most of the day cutting bricks and then an hour to slap them together. I am pretty happy with how it looks. Hopefully it flows ok...

Comment

I whacked the chimney in position just to see how it would look. I am waiting for the brickwork to dry out before I mount it.

Comment

Well with the chimney sitting there I couldn't resist lighting a small fire to see how it would draw

Worked like a charm!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X