Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Viennese Pizza...OK, so it's in Vienna, VA.

rj - feel free to contact me if you have trouble finding materials (like the angle iron). I'm a landscape designer in NoVA and I can probably point you in the right direction.

Comment

If you haven't poured your top slab yet and still think an ash drop is something to consider...now's your last chance. I am extremely happy we put one in (as "Faith in Virginia" noted it really does cut down on the mess). I simply put two 2x4 pieces of wood in front of my targeted oven opening +6" and poured the top slab. The wood creates a void in the slab and when it's removed, you have an ash slot. I definitely would suggest using foam instead of wood, since the wood absorbed water from the concrete and swelled making it a bear to get out! I set one of these void forms up for a friend with Styrofoam at the desired ash slot location in the top slab form and it worked like a charm.

After I removed the 2x4 ash drop void-form wood, I placed a metal bin under the drop. (Initially, I just put the bin on some blocks to raise it to the correct height and now I've got the bin on a rail system mounted under the top slab/ash slot.) I then made a sliding lid for the bin. When I need to sweep out coals/ashes, I simply pull back the top cover on the bin, sweep the ashes into the bin below through the slot, and then slide the cover back into place. The ashes & remaining coals die out quickly and I don't have to deal with them until after the guests are gone.
      Last edited by SableSprings; 05-27-2012, 12:30 PM.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone.

Mike, I haven't made a final decision on the ash drop, but thanks for the tip on the Styrofoam---I'll definitely do that if I decide to go with that option.

Robert

Comment

Did the pour of the oven pad today. Renting the mixer from Sunbelt was absolutely the right way to go. Went through 29 bags of Sakrtete (just about 18 cu. ft.) but did not have too much trouble working the cement in spite of the heat and humidity today. The real pain was shoveling the mix up into the form, especially since I had decided to put the pad at a higher elevation; but using the mixer kept things moving quickly and we had plenty of time to screed and float the surface before it started to set up.
          I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.
          Robert
          Last edited by rjdealhome; 05-30-2012, 02:59 AM.

Comment

As per prior warning, attached are photos of i cugini Giordano busting hump as they try to make pretty with the concrete yesterday. The grungy fellow on the left is myself (Giordano on the maternal side), while the equally slovenly fellow on the right is my cousin John (willing conscript, and actual carrier of the surname.) I have nothing but good things to say about the Multiquip mixer rented from Sunbelt---it really made this whole process a lot easier. Even though the stated capacity is 9 cu.ft., we did 5 bags at a time (3 cu. ft.), having decided that we could not easily control dumping more material into the wheelbarrow---this turned out to be really true, and as it was, we could only handle about half that quantity in the wheelbarrow at any one time. Basically, we were shoveling it up into the form, agitating it, and screeding as we went along from back to front. Even though it took 6 batches, with the benefit of the shade from the cantilevered umbrella it worked out pretty well and we feel that we got a good uniform, contiguous pour, but it was a really a chore for these two old farts. As is evident, concrete has a wonderful propensity to go everywhere----I think I spent another hour after we were finished cleaning splatters off the back fence.
            The finished pad is currently under wraps ( a sheet of 6 mil plastic) curing for a few days. I will probably knock the forms off the sides tomorrow afternoon, but plan on leaving the floor in place. As it is, we are departing on Friday for a month in Mexico, so plenty of time for the pad to cure properly. The beginning of construction of the oven proper will wait until our return July 1st.

Comment

Leave the form in there for a week and remember to keep the concrete wet. You'll get stronger slab.

Comment

Good thought...actually, since I'm traveling tomorrow morning and won't be back for a month, I'll leave the plywood and legs that were supporting the pad in place until I get back.
                Right now, the whole thing is covered with a plastic sheet to keep in the wet.

Comment

OK! We are back in business! After a month away, we returned to 4 days of no electricity in the wake of the thunderstorms that rolled through here during the night of June 29-30---and a week of 100 degree heat that put a bit of a damper on the oven construction. Still, bought my brick on Friday ($1.47 each for Mt. Savage medium-duty...and got the Heat-Stop #50 bag for $72 each...not too bad in either case, I think) and have been entertaining myself laying out the oven floor and mock-ups of the dome on the garage floor. Figure that I can get all this marked up and ready to cut, and still stay out of the heat.
                  Actual construction is on hold pending acquisition of insulating board. FB has the best price for fiberboard, but the $120 shipping charge to Virginia is a kick in the pants; the best local price I've found is about $24/sq.ft.. I've been trying to find some calcium silicate board nearby because of the lower price (ideally the IIG Super Caltemp Gold 1700 which specs out to 1700˚F. max operating temperature) but no luck so far. If I still have no success by the end of Monday, I'll just bite the bullet and order the FB board....want to get started again.

Comment

Rjdealhome,
                    Distribution International had a good price on CalSil and the blanket. There are a couple of locations in Virginia and one in Maryland. Here is a link to there location map. Back when I started my build I priced CalSil at there location in Mobile, AL. I was lucky and was given a couple of boxes, so I did not buy. Later, I did buy my blanket from their location In Jackson, MS. I hope one of their locations is not too far from you.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks, Gulf...I'll give them a call Monday morning. Hope springs eternal!

Comment

I forgot to mention that D.I. sells their CalSil by the box only. Also, the dimensions of their board is 1' X 3'. I believe there are 6 boards to the box. That is exactly what I needed to for the dome and entrance. Might want to double check that when you get them on the phone.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks, Gulf. I was able to source the Thermo-12 Gold CalSil board from Distribution International---yes, I had to buy the whole box, but it comes in at $160 for 27 sq. ft. including shipping from Hampton to the local store so it is a bargain compared to anything else and I'll have it by Thursday. I also checked out the super CalTemp Gold 1700 as an alternative to the Thermo-12, but it is $6 a sq. ft. (as opposed to $4) and would require big $$ in shipping from Colorado (so I was told).
                          So, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this!

Spent the day cutting the bricks for the oven floor... the HF saw works well, with the pump set in a separate bucket as suggested by so many others on this site. Still acquiring the skill level needed to get those little notch cut-outs done without messing up the whole brick. Ah, well----$1.47 added cost per screw-up.

Comment

It is beginning to take shape! This after spending the last several days cutting brick in the garage, laying it all out on the floor, cussing at the results, cutting it again, more profanity, and eventually coming to grips with "It's as good as you're going to get it!".
                            Got my insulation board on Thursday morning, managed to cut it to shape with minimal problem, and placed on the slab with the floor laid out on it. Since the CalSil board was level and smooth, I just laid the floor bricks directly on it with no fire clay/sand mix---hope that this is not an issue (can't imagine that it should be.)
                            So today, with more than a bit of trepidation, I mixed up some of the Heat-Stop and mortared the soldier course in place. It looks like what I see in the photos everyone posts and in the Pompeii plans---I just hope it will stand and deliver. Had to cover it all up as thunderstorms threaten, so we will see tomorrow...or whenever I can get back to the oven build. The "honey-do" list has been updated, courtesy of a failed pool pump, so that is going to be the #1 priority tomorrow.
                            Posting a couple of picture taken earlier. (Ended up not using the flared oven entry that was original drawn; and later went back to the straight entry that I had cut out and modified it to allow for a 1" reveal for the door. Design changes on the fly, as counterpoint to all the guys who have designed and spec-ed out everything before cutting a single brick.)

Comment

I did not mention it in my thread, but I set my hearth brick straight down on the Thermo-Gold-12. I did not see where I was going to get any more level. Shipping must have been kind of high, but then again I haven't priced in about a year. (2" is a stock item in Mobile, AL). I was intimidated by the flaired oven entry. It may not be the thing to do, but I ended up with about the same angle for working the oven as a flaired.

Comment

Yeah, I had to pay $50 to have it shipped into the Alexandria, VA location. Product price was $112 for the full box of 27 sq.ft.---actually quite good, compared to anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X