Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Wax > sealer is my experience too. But it does cloud up with weather and UV exposure after a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Several Lessons learned since my last post
    1) The Lithium sealer penetrated nicely and gave a satin finish as advertised. It was a bit bumpy and in few locations. Where I applied a "second coat" during initial application it did not penetrate at all and just sat on top - yuck. Soo I endeavored to Polish the lithium sealer with the recommended floor buffing pads
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-27 07.23.21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	739.4 KB
ID:	293586
    2) The red did not remove any material and the black scratched the surface. Boo
    So I then "polished" the Lithium sealer product with a 1600 grit granite polishing disk - it took down the high spots and left the surface (particularly the glass) cloudy when dry. What was frustrating was how amazing the colors were when wet, and then it went all dull when dry. I took photos but they didn't show the problem well.
    So I next re-polished the surfaces with the granite disks 800, 1200, and 1600 - this removed the micro scratches in the glass and the looked great until they dried then some color was again lost.
    So I then applied this wax - Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-27 07.20.03.jpg
Size:	853.4 KB
ID:	293589
    3) This wax worked great. This is the same product I used in my kitchen a few years ago when I installed granite counters (DIYGranite.com). I applied it like car wax then removed the excess and buffed with #0000 steel wool. I used the velcro backer disk from my polishing disks in the angle grinder on low speed.
    I am satisfied with the result: from Click image for larger version

Name:	20130202_093154.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	293585
    To Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-27 07.21.21.jpg
Size:	645.6 KB
ID:	293587 Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-27 07.21.09.jpg
Size:	761.3 KB
ID:	293588

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looking good dvm!

I recommend Howard's Butcher Block sealer for the counters. Gives them a really good luster and water resistance. They sell it at HD for $9 a bottle, so it's cheaper than sealer too!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Looks Great, being in Cali, you should not have the same issues I have had with extreme freezing.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

I finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this project. I got the the last bit of polishing done and lithium sealant applied on the poured in place landing, hearth and seating. Once it is good and dry, I will polish the sealant and get some photos in the sun. I am very pleased with the outcome.

Name:	2013-03-03 14.20.01.jpg
Size:	1,011.8 KB
ID:	293206Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-03 14.20.17.jpg
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	293207Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-03 14.20.42.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	293208
    I am anxious to see how it holds up. The key to polishing the vertical surfaces was keeping the motor dry.

Name:	2013-03-03 14.28.20.jpg
Size:	674.1 KB
ID:	293209
    Next are the decorative arches for the oven and fireplace. I am planning a keystone to match the counter / hearth for each. My wife and I finished casting 100 sq feet of faux limestone in colors complimentary to our existing pavers for the final step.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

It is looking great DVM,
    Origonal post by DVM "Slurry coat should not be use to fill large defects"
    I noticed that also, on my trial runs. I guess that I will have to spot fill the larger voids with some fine sand added to the slurry, before the slurry coat. I hope the day before or at least in the morning before the slurry coat.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Bring back memories. I was wearing my rain gear when it was 90 degrees outside. Counters looking good.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

More fabulous weather in So Cal allowing winter work on the project.

Several lessons learned this weekend:
    1) Rain gear and rubber boots are a win.
    2) Slurry coat should not be use to fill large defects:
    The excess slurry coat of cement and pigment with bonding agent (no water) came off nicely with 100 grit wheel and polished up to a very glossy surface - I went to 1500 grit - except whet the hole filled was bigger than 1/4 inch (where rocks/glass flew out on the first pass leaving larger defects. I had three of these on 50 sq feet - not too bad). The slurry filling in these larger defects contracted and cracked - So I dug it out and will fill with cement / sand / pigment slurry.

Name:	polishing.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	293143
    3) The wet grinder is designed to work on a horizontal surface - not vertical:
    I purchased the unit with the bull nose router bit and the polishing pads on line and I ran it all day horizontal last Saturday happily grinding down about 1/4 inch then polishing to 400 grit. This weekend - working on the vertical face of the hearth - the GFI Tripped and the then the unit was dead within 30 minutes. I thought if was a defect, and facing a full days work I went to my local pro building supply yard to purchase another unit (the only one in stock was the display so I got $25 off) and I planned to return the online purchase for warranty. This second unit also tripped the GFI and went dead within 30 minutes grinding - the first unit had dried out - and worked fine. So I worked hard to keep the motor dry and rotated between the two units all day long. One is 800 watts, the other is 900 watts - aside from the color of the plastic casing and the stickers they are identical units. I plan to make some kind of enhanced plastic shroud before next weekends final vertical grind. BTY the rain hood with a face shield was an important part of the plan at this point as cement slurry flys straight up then back down on the operator during this process.
    4) The 3/4 inch bull nose diamond grinder worked great:

Name:	2013-02-24 21.05.23.jpg
Size:	671.1 KB
ID:	293145Click image for larger version

Name:	grinding bullnose.jpg
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	293150
    It was a very forgiving process. It was not necessary to try and remove all of the material in one pass - I could take of in various manors (push - pull - dive in) as long as the final pass with the tool was pushed down, and flush to the surface, the edge came out great and Stones are revealed in the ground edge!Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-24 20.37.41.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	293144
    So now a slurry on the fronts and more polishing next weekend.
    Last edited by dvm; 02-25-2013, 08:12 AM. Reason: add photo

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Rain gear purchased - check!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Sorry to see that. Get a set of cheap raingear from HF. Plus some of their long rubber gloves. Well worth protecting yourself!

Leave a comment:

• ATK406
    replied

Good to know. Thanks for sharing this. I will be grinding/polishing my cement countertops this summer (I hope) and will take measures to avoid this myself. Thanks again.

AT

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

I was sad to hear bout Russell's counter tops. As it Rarely freezes here I think (hope) that my poured, glass embedded counters will age well.
    I did learn an important (embarrassing) lesson that I will share so that other might not do the same.
    I expected that Cement which had cured (for 2 weeks) would be chemically inert (no reason to think this other than it looks inert). I am here to tell you that the slurry released by grinding is caustic to skin. It was a nice warm day - seemed like no big deal to wear sandals while grinding - lots of water everywhere rinsing the counters, rinsing the patio, rinsing me......

Name:	2013-02-17 23.01.09.jpg
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	293010
    This is the top of my ankle where my jeans and cement grindings came together. Don't do this.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by dvm View Post
    Today was a good day to start grinding the landing/hearth/seating area. The cement was poured 2 weeks ago. I removed to forms and Filled the gaps along the edges last weekend. Today I started with the wet polisher. The 50 grit was not exposing the amount of aggregate that I wanted to see - So I took about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off with the diamond wheel. Lots of water and mess - I see why this is not done indoors. Fortunately it was about 80 degrees here today.
    The photo is after the diamond wheel - I continued on to 400 grit then stopped for the day. I will fill the bug holes tomorrow and grind / polish more next weekend.
    [ATTACH]33803[/ATTACH]
    DVM,
    It is looking great! I will have to admit I, like Deejayoh, had reservations about that diamond grinding wheel. Looks like it did a great first pass. I'm watching with great interest. keep us posted .

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

thank you. It's slow but at least it's progress.

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

That looks really nice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X