Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvm
    replied
    Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

I am enjoying finding uses for each day of the oven's cool down cycle - different recipe for each day. I suppose I should get back to actually finishing the construction. Humph.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Make mine 3 rolls, and 1 piece of chicken,and hot sauce on the side. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Did something new (for me) with the oven today.
    I fired it yesterday morning with almond wood (as usual). Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-05 08.57.23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	292598After some pizza for lunch I removed all of the coals to an air tight ash bin and left the door off for a few hours until the oven reached 475 degrees. I then baked two dozen 200 gram garlic and herb roles last night. Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-05 22.16.26.jpg
Size:	558.7 KB
ID:	292599After baking I closed the oven up tight.Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-05 22.53.44.jpg
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	292600
    At noon today I put the (now cold) wood coals along with a few splinters of pine and a 2 inch Almond branch into the (350 degree) oven. With some encouragement from my torch, it ignited and began to produce lots of smoke.
    I put chicken on a rack over an aluminum pan and placed the door ajar. When the temp probe in the meat read 180 degrees I pulled it out - the result was great! Good smokey flavor, Attractive browned skin and the meat remained moist.Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-06 16.24.57.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	933.1 KB
ID:	292601
    WFOs are not just for Pizza and bread any more!
    Last edited by dvm; 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Yes the poor guy does look much like me - and we have a younger (13 year old) copy too. We are having a good time with the oven!

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Hi DvM,

Looking at the photo of you and your son, I see your past and his future. A truly spitting image. It looks as you two really enjoy each others company.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Had a great WFO weekend. My oldest was home from college and wanted to bake. I modified my basic pizza dough to a garlic-herb-parmesan bread and my son found a recipe for chocolate, cinnamon bread; made a mixer full (2.5 kilos) of each.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Choc Cinn in oven.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	292393 Click image for larger version

Name:	Chocolate Cinnamon Bread.jpg
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	292394

I did a bit of mortar mixing too. Placing firebrick in the fireplace adjacent to the oven. First attempt was to create and install a "panel" of splits tilted off the back wall - that was a fail. Second attempt is buttering and placing bricks one at a time - using a plywood profile to set the angle - so far so good. It does take a bit of contortion to get in there.

Name:	2012-11-25 18.45.59.jpg
Size:	640.7 KB
ID:	292392

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

dvm,

Way to go, keeping on plugging along. Looking nice.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looking good dvm!

I have completely stalled out on the stucco application for my oven. The lath and paper are on, I just have a lot of inertia with taking on the stucco application. Not sure why!

anyway, good on you for pushing forward - and the results look great.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

After troweling on the brown coat stucco and bringing some texture to the surface with rubber float:

Name:	2012-11-17 09.36.00.jpg
Size:	783.8 KB
ID:	292329
    I was ready for an easier way to apply the color coat.

Name:	stucco color coat.jpg
Size:	611.9 KB
ID:	292330
    I decided to spray on the color coat; managed to get all 350 sq feet applied! I used 3) 90 pound bags of grey base stucco, pigment, and a sprayer designed to apply drywall texture. I will post photos of finished stucco after some clean-up.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Mild weather does allow WFO progress! I placed a stucco scratch coat on the metal framed surround for the oven chimney. On rest of the block structure needing stucco, I went strait to brown coat. Here are some photos of the oven enclosure ready for color.

Name:	2012-11-17 09.35.26.jpg
Size:	947.0 KB
ID:	292327
    Notice the tortoise den on the back side of the oven stand.

Name:	2012-11-17 09.39.15.jpg
Size:	592.1 KB
ID:	292328
    I plant to bolt wooden back rests to the Pony wall seating.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Applied 320 pounds of stucco this weekend (brown coat)... sigh... have about the same to go before color coat. But is is good exercise! The oven's efficiency continues to improve; The oven is 315 degrees tonight - last fire was Halloween (Pizza 10/31, Bread 11/1 and again 11/3). It was about 80 degrees here today - lots of misting to keep the stucco curing - not drying.

Leave a comment:

• WesinThailand
    replied

Brian, I used a similar form for the last chains but only an IT for the initial ones. I found that the dome is pretty forgiving and once all the chains are finished, I could stand on the dome and it would not fall in. Guess thats the beauty of this design. I used white styrofoam for the final form - easy to remove.

Leave a comment:

replied

Hi DVM,
    Thanks for the photos! We hope your oven project goes well.

We're excited to see your progress!

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Sometimes simple is best... I like it.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

dvm -
    I attached my decorative arch just as you describe - mortared it to the firebrick and the hardiboard. As a matter of fact, I didn't even use refractory mortar. I haven't used the oven much since installing - but it seems fine. The arch doesnt really get very hot so I don't think cracking will be any more of an issue than it would be in an ordinary fireplace surround. I think many others have used the same approach without issues.

Name:	WP_000135.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	291881

Leave a comment:

Working...
X