Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvm
    replied
    Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

So here is a question as I plan to place a decorative arch on the oven. Is there any concern with using my small stash of remaining f/b refractory mortar to attach my decorative arch directly to the front of the bricks of the outer arch and the adjacent Hardiboard?. I think the lower portion of the decorative arch will be my home made "stone veneer" (made from s-type mortal with colorant poured into forms), the upper part of the arch will be left over pavers that match my patio.

I have a heat break between the inner arch and the dome. I do not have a heat break in the floor. I am not concerned about "loosing heat" to the decorative arch, rather I am wondering if differential expansion of the varied materials with cause them to crack, delaminate etc.

I cut Hardboard slightly larger than the Outer arch (which is "almost" flush with the outer arch). I filled the gap with 500 degree silicon (so the vermiculite does not fly away). I initially thought I would have another gap between the outer and decorative arch, but I am now concerned that I need the extra strength of attachment to the outer arch.

Thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	291880

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

ProgressClick image for larger version

Name:	20121016_173343.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	802.6 KB
ID:	291862

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

DJ
    You have that right - every time I turn around I am buying more block. Almost done with primary construction and will be turning to finishes next. We don't really have weather here so no good excuse to take a break from the project - I will press on.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looking good DVM

I have to say, the California CMU makers must love your project!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Well, maybe no roaring, flames shooting out of the chimney, nuke type fires. You can't heat the whole outdoors anyway . But, you should be able to keep a nice fire going for intertaining. A piece of fruit wood added to the fire will also add to the ambiance .

That is going to be one beautiful area!

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Gulf
    It will be a cinder block chimney. I plan to line the fire box with firebrick splits. The goal is ambiance.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

That is going to be one great intertaining area . What are your ideas for the fireplace? I see that you have some protectors over your wall ties. You can bend them down or up out of the way until needed. Down is usually the safest way but, you have to remember to lift them just before you set the brick in place .

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

You have been a busy boy, looking good.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Prepped and poured the arch over adjacent "fireplace". I use the term loosely - it will contain fire and provide ambiance. I have no expectation for efficiency. But it will look neat!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

DVM,

You have made quite a bit of progress. Keep up the great work, by far way ahead of me.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Had a productive WFO day. I made great progress on my enclosure. I went with a 4 inch cinder block "house". I have a band of 8x2x16 blocks at the front (supported by 1.5 inch angle iron) and then a tin roof on treated lumber sloping back within the cinder block. I partitioned off the back corners and it still took 14 cubic feet of vermiculite to fill in the house. The photos below are from early in the day - I was too worn out to photo the tin - but it is there!

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

DVM
    Very nice. Congrats on your progress and thanks for the insulation and enclosure photos. The temp readings are helpful too. I am insulating and enclosing next.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I like it. I used metal stud for my enclosure, which for the record is also a PITA.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Nicely done. Good photos to show the insulation.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Now I know, ... Cinder blocks 4 inches deep are a PITA to work with. They are not the least bit forgiving when it comes to the placement of vertical re-bar; when the blocks are staggered near the corners - the cells do not always / easily line up. I placed horizontal re-bar at every two block interval. This leaves very little space for cement to pass.... So I filled the height of two cells - Then placed the horizontal re-bar, then repeated to achieve the height needed. You get the idea.
    I have durock to cover the front to the edge of the outer arch and to bridge the gap in the front of the chimney.
    I plan to put a band of 8x2x16 inch blocks on top of the enclosure with the back edge supported on angle iron, across the front of the oven and along the top of the surround wall with a 3 inch overhang; to be stucco'd. I will have a tin roof slanting back with an over hang off the back (this will form a "porch" for the tortoise enclosure in the back 2/3 of the oven base). Given the elevation of my yard and the height of the enclosure - the Tortise will be the only one to see the tin roof.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X