Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for the concrete!

Hi All

Thought I would post a few pics of my efforts in preparing the slab for my WFO. the oven will be in the centre and a couple of work areas either side. Under these work areas will be a couple of stainless steel cupboards.

With the slab I have dug a deeper footing and run reo around that. This is also then tied to reo hammered into the natural ground around 400-500mm. Then placed the mesh across and tied everything together. Hope its enough! When I start the wall the intention is to keep going across from the work areas so that it provides more support for the oven and hearth. This will also provide a couple of storage areas. at the rear I thought I might use the other cavity to store more timber - maybe? Concrete delivered tomorrow - too lazy to mix my own.

The oven will eventually be under a verandah and within a pool area.

Thank you all for the info so far that I have read and picked up.

OK one problem - havent worked out how to upload pictures. Will come back soon with pics.

ok i think i have worked out how!
    Last edited by Chaz Aus; 06-07-2012, 10:05 PM. Reason: attach photos

Re: Ready for the concrete!

Hi Chaz and welcome aboard.
    I have added you to the ever increasing number of Australian members.
    Great to see you getting into the project and enjoy the construction. Keep the pictures coming as all members appreciate your build record as you obviously get ideas from others.
    Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Neill

Will definitely keep posting.

Comment

Welcome! Glad to see your pictures. Looks like the beginning of a very large do-it-yourself project, good luck
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

slab done. even included a fancy design - one of our feathered friends decided to leave their mark!

Comment

Your posts speak well of you as a person! You clean up the area before you take the pics. You and I would get along very well!.......Good on ya'.....

Comment

Thanks buckeyebreadman. I like to work in a tidy area. See if it lasts to the end!

Comment

Looking good! You will be glad you incorporated the wings for counter space
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hi All

This WFO thing really hooks you! I reckon for most of the day today I have been either thinking about my build or watering the new slab so it won't crack! Don't think it's really necessary given its only about 14C. While 'thinking' a few things came up that I thought I would seek some feedback:

looking around for the bricks I have found a couple of local suppliers (Adelaide, Australia). Littlehampton Bricks that has the fire bricks at around $6 each. When I contacted them they said I could also use their clay bricks at around .80c each

The other is Traditional Pizza Ovens which has refactory bricks at around $4.50 each. On their website they refer to around 24 hours of heat retention.

Based on what i have picked up from members of the Forno Bravo site it seems that I should go with the fire bricks rather than the standard clay bricks. I also picked up that more insulation is better so I am considering going for two layers of insulation.

If i was to have the dual insulation I was wondering if this would make the standard clay bricks keep the heat better. Or is it that the clay bricks will eventually deteriorate?

the other query is re the flue. I was looking at using the besser block that I am using for the stand. It will be a 2-3 high and eventually rendered to look like the rest of the oven. Is this OK, ie will they be able to take the heat coming up the flue without cracking?

My last query is the actual oven build. As I don't have a saw of my own I will need to hire. Given that I will be doing the oven over a few weekends this may not be economical so I thought I would use the wet sand method and dry stack the bricks using wedges to keep the angle correct. Once all completed I would apply the mortar to fill the gaps and remove the wedges. I was thinking of using the wet sand method also for the front arches. Any thoughts on this approach to the dome build?

Sorry for the long query and hopefully not too silly ideas/questions!

Comment

Never mind Drugs........I'm gonna smuggle FIREBRICKS into Australia...

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz Aus View Post
                      On their website they refer to around 24 hours of heat retention.
                      Only with the right insulation.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Welcome Chaz from Utah........

The bird tracks add a great touch. My slab is a boring broom finish. Will be watching your build.

Russell
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You don't need anything else than 230mm angle grinder and diamond blade(s) for cutting the bricks. Not saying that it wouldn't be easier with proper brick saw, but it isn't that hard with angle grinder either.

Comment

Thanks all for comments.

Laku will try the angle grinder and see how I go.

Comment

Hi Chaz,
                              Littlehampton Brick often have second firebricks. I got mine for $3 each.

I hired a brick saw for the day, worked out how many full bricks for the hearth and cut the rest in half. This has worked really well, with most of the shaping of bricks using a
                              5" angle grinder with diamond blade. I also am using a 9" grinder with diamond blade to speed up the bigger cuts. Remember the cut face is facing out so no one is going to see it. As far as shaping I am just making sure that the internal face edge is neat, the rest is filled with mortar.

Good Luck

Craig
                              "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
                              The Pirate Captain

Comment

Working...
                              X