• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man7sell
    replied
    Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Originally posted by dvm View Post
    I am using a laser thermometer like this. Found it on Amazon. FB sells one too.
    Nice. I think Harbor freight has one on sale.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Man7Sell Once the oven is dry and you apply your insulation, Are planning an Igloo? or a "House"? You might consider re-enforcing the vertical walls of your oven entry to counter the down/outward force of the chimney: I use cinder block, Brianventura use a steel bracket.
    Good point. The end result will be an igloo shape. I will check out Brian's steel bracket. I am making a steel bracket for the inner entrance door (poor planning, don't ask )

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Robin Hood - I would recommend you check out the the free Pompei oven plans available on the FB web site. They describes several methods for placing the upper courses - foam template, sand, exercise ball. Most us some variation on an "Indispensable Tool" (IT for short). there is a good link on the subject here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html
    Best of luck. Consider starting a thread for your build and posting pictures.
    I used the IT for most of the rounds.

But the last 4 steep ones I used a round piece of ply blocked up to the correct height. Getting the ply out when it was too large for the entrance hole meant having a crescent piece cut out (Imagine a moon with a few day past full moon )

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
    Finally FINALLY The last key stone added, Last few interior holidays grouted. Time to burn.

OK so I don't know if this is the correct way to cure the oven, but I'm now on the third burn, each one a little hotter. I'm doing this before the insolation and final outer shell is built. Wanted to be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Anyway here it is.
    Man7Sell Once the oven is dry and you apply your insulation, Are planning an Igloo? or a "House"? You might consider re-enforcing the vertical walls of your oven entry to counter the down/outward force of the chimney: I use cinder block, Brianventura use a steel bracket.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Originally posted by Robin Hood Oven View Post
    All You Guys out in the states seem to have this oven building project off to a fine art between you .. I am now 10 days into my very first brick oven .. it is 45" wide x 18" high .. need plenty of instant heat .. but it is become very difficult after teh first 4/5 links .. Any advice around for teh best way of finishing off teh top half of teh oven .. ? ? ?
    Robin Hood - I would recommend you check out the the free Pompei oven plans available on the FB web site. They describes several methods for placing the upper courses - foam template, sand, exercise ball. Most us some variation on an "Indispensable Tool" (IT for short). there is a good link on the subject here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html
    Best of luck. Consider starting a thread for your build and posting pictures.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
    Have a question, what do you guys use to measure the internal temperature?
    I am using a laser thermometer like this. Found it on Amazon. FB sells one too.
    Last edited by dvm; 09-05-2012, 11:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Have a question, what do you guys use to measure the internal temperature?

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Finally FINALLY The last key stone added, Last few interior holidays grouted. Time to burn.

OK so I don't know if this is the correct way to cure the oven, but I'm now on the third burn, each one a little hotter. I'm doing this before the insolation and final outer shell is built. Wanted to be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Anyway here it is.

Video oven next to the river
    Property :: IMG_0094.mp4 video by man7sell - Photobucket

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Hang in there and think of pizza

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Hello Man7sell

How goes the build? I hope you are enjoying it. It got more difficult (for me) near the dome closure.
    Got one more rung done this weekend. It's the transition to the entrance that is driving me nuts (short drive miss daisy).
    When I get this right the remaining rungs should go easier
    Last edited by man7sell; 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Robin Hood Oven
    replied

All You Guys out in the states seem to have this oven building project off to a fine art between you .. I am now 10 days into my very first brick oven .. it is 45" wide x 18" high .. need plenty of instant heat .. but it is become very difficult after teh first 4/5 links .. Any advice around for teh best way of finishing off teh top half of teh oven .. ? ? ?

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Hello Man7sell

How goes the build? I hope you are enjoying it. It got more difficult (for me) near the dome closure.

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    In looking at your build it appears that your bricks may be to vertical, The face of the brick should be perpendicular to the form you made and from what I see they appear to be to steep at the current chain.

Forgive me if this is just an optical illusion.

Chip
    Yep optical illusion, wide angle lenses on small cameras I'll try to get a better depiction this weekend, and lay more bricks

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

In looking at your build it appears that your bricks may be to vertical, The face of the brick should be perpendicular to the form you made and from what I see they appear to be to steep at the current chain.

Forgive me if this is just an optical illusion.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• man7sell
    replied

Here's a pic of the entrance and smoke stack hole.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X