my summer project begins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my summer project begins.

Well, I have had a couple of sessions available - the block work is completed - gonna be tight, but I think Christmas (maybe New Year) Pizza is possible.

Read a thread about changing the "perimeter" hearth design. Seems to make sense and so I made an "I" shaped block work base. I reckon apart from having to make a few extra timber cuts, this design should support through the center of the oven. I reckon this will prevent sagging and prolong the life of the oven. Still only time can tell on this!

Anything I need to be aware of before pouring the slab - I plan on sinking precast aerated reinforced panel into the center, below where the oven will be.

Thoughts from anyone, gratefully received as throughout the project so far I have found masses of information. Thanks to all that contribute.

Comment

Gudday

The Aerated renforced panel you talk about is that "hebel". Yes I have hebel as the insulation under my oven. I have not had any problems with it but I think because I have 75mm 3 in of hearth bricks the heat has time to temper before it gets to the hebel. Cement will only take temp up to 600c before its start breaking down. So for this reason I always recommend anyone using hebel use a layer of FB board or "perlcrete" to protect it from the higher temps.

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
        Cement will only take temp up to 600c before its start breaking down.
        Actually Cement starts to break at about 300 c.

"Concrete exposed to up to 100 ?C is normally considered as healthy. The parts of a concrete structure that is exposed to temperatures above approximately 300 ?C (dependent of water/cement ratio) will most likely get a pink color. Over approximately 600 ?C the concrete will turn light grey, and over approximately 1000 ?C it turns yellow-brown.[4] One rule of thumb is to consider all pink colored concrete as damaged that should be removed."

Concrete degradation

Comment

Lots of people mention FB board across this site, but what is it? Hardie board is a concrete product so I know it cant be that, any help on a product name? This question is pretty much for australasia as lots of things have different names over here - Brickie in Oz? any answers

Comment

Originally posted by waikato pizza View Post
            Lots of people mention FB board across this site, but what is it? Hardie board is a concrete product so I know it cant be that, any help on a product name? This question is pretty much for australasia as lots of things have different names over here - Brickie in Oz? any answers
            Its really called calcium silicate board.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have been pretty busy of late, hence I haven't posted for a while. Here are some photos to show progress. I decided to use the "I" shaped blockwork. THis really makes alot of sense. It mean your timber storage is not so deep you cannot see the back and I do not fancy crawling in with my ample rump on display to guests should I need to get a little extra firewood. It also bade framing for the concrete pour easier as there is something to fix to everywhere you need.

Now that I am up to laying the hearth bricks, any words of wisdom or warning would be appreciated.

All things taken into consideration I am pretty happy with the way things came out, apart from some of the top surface of the concrete was destroyed by over watering whilst the concrete was curing, but as I am looking to grind the concrete this really doesn't matter too much.

Look forward to the replies from you all - Cheers Andy

Comment

Here are the photos

Comment

and here are a few more - been pretty busy after all!!!!

I will take a photo for my next update that shows you the site access - I think you may all have a laugh (or coronary) at how much step aerobics I do for every step I go through - more later!

Comment

Your oven is a barrel design?

Comment

Looks like a dome to me based on his pencil marks on the bricks. I can't tell from the pics but is that CaSi with concrete around it with no concrete under it?. If so, I am not sure how the ca si will support the floor bricks and dome.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Utah,

I was concerned with that concrete pour too, first one of that nature that I've seen here. I didn't notice toe pencil marks, most people round their ceramic or cal-sil board as a template.

Comment

did it as a flat placement of hebel - reinforced. There is concrete poured underneath and the whole thing has reinforcing grid within the concrete pour to add stability. Note that I have also used an I shape of block work (instead of the usual h shape) so that there is blockwork supporting through the centre of the whole hearth.

Yes it will be a dome. I have laid out the bricks so I can cut them accurately. This weekend will tell me how accurately - long weekend - progress to be made I hope.

Any questions sing out - I will try and answer them, comments welcomed - nobody is infallable - cheers Andy

Comment

toe pencil marks - to what do you refer?

Comment

Andy,

Keep sending the pics, not being critical just trying to make sure your build is successful. Gotta come visit your country..........
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You really should, just not too soon, if you are wanting pizza from my oven! May take a little while and I have a que of people with "favours" to repay - funny that when you say you are building an oven! lmao!!

If you do come, look me up! We live in Cambridge - beautiful part - but wait til you get to the south island!

Cheers - Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X