No announcement yet.

42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Yes, I think you're asking to many questions, because you're just curious. Did I get that right? See, now you have me doing it. Stop that!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Yes, I think you're asking to many questions, because you're just curious. Did I get that right? See, now you have me doing it. Stop that!

, but in all honesty, i know everyone uses insulation at the entrance, but why is it needed? , minus the floor being leveled. Im asking these questions because im trying to save $ if possible.
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Think of it this way, if you use ceramic fiber boards, their dimensions are of such a nature that you can fit the vent hearth and vent area on the boards at no added expense, unless you figure in the (time cost) of cutting the boards for the vent area. On the up side, you are not wasting expensive board. You can also use the left over pieces to make an insulated door.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Think of it this way, if you use ceramic fiber boards, their dimensions are of such a nature that you can fit the vent hearth and vent area on the boards at no added expense, unless you figure in the (time cost) of cutting the boards for the vent area. On the up side, you are not wasting expensive board. You can also use the left over pieces to make an insulated door.

From my understanding 3 boards wont be enough? if it would have i wouldn't be annoying with my questions.

Comment

I think I use 3 board for my 42" oven.

Comment

If I were you, I would add another option. Do a search for "industrial insulation" in your area. You only mentioned one source. A quick search of the Los Angeles reveals several. I would get the phone numbers and call a few of them. You will need to ask specifically for calcium silicate and question them about the thickness, deminsions of the board, and the number of boards per box and especially the price per box . Industrial suppliers offer different thicknesses for different uses. They cater to the industrial furnace and boiler industry. While you are on the phone with them, go ahead and get a price on 1" X 2' X 50' ceramic fiber blanket per box, just for future reference .

The plans call for 4" of vcrete/pcrete or 2" of "CalSil". I used both, just to avoid that "wish I had done that syndrome" .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                If I were you, I would add another option. Do a search for "industrial insulation" in your area. You only mentioned one source. A quick search of the Los Angeles reveals several. I would get the phone numbers and call a few of them. You will need to ask specifically for calcium silicate and question them about the thickness, deminsions of the board, and the number of boards per box and especially the price per box . Industrial suppliers offer different thicknesses for different uses. They cater to the industrial furnace and boiler industry. While you are on the phone with them, go ahead and get a price on 1" X 2' X 50' ceramic fiber blanket per box, just for future reference .

The plans call for 4" of vcrete/pcrete or 2" of "CalSil". I used both, just to avoid that "wish I had done that syndrome" .

Thanks for the suggestions Gulf, really appreciate it.

Comment

Gulf i took your great advice and called up these guys Pacific Insulation - Industrial Products - Pipe Insulation, Air Handling/HVAC, Industrial Insulation, Commercial Insulation, Insulation Fabrication. They had CalSil boards, insulation blocks and Ceramic boards. The CalSil is the cheapest of these 3 options, as he said CalSil is rated at 1,200F MAX. But the other insulation's are well above 2,500F. I thought we were supposed to use Ceramic fiber boards? but apparently its not the same thing.

So anyways the CalSil boards they have a 12"x36"x2", at $3.35 a Square foot. so that is $10.05 a board. Based on my calculations for a 42" oven i would need 6 boards. Thats a total of $60.30, which is good. What do you guys think.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                    Gulf i took your great advice and called up these guys Pacific Insulation - Industrial Products - Pipe Insulation, Air Handling/HVAC, Industrial Insulation, Commercial Insulation, Insulation Fabrication. They had CalSil boards, insulation blocks and Ceramic boards. The CalSil is the cheapest of these 3 options, as he said CalSil is rated at 1,200F MAX. But the other insulation's are well above 2,500F. I thought we were supposed to use Ceramic fiber boards? but apparently its not the same thing.

So anyways the CalSil boards they have a 12"x36"x2", at $3.35 a Square foot. so that is $10.05 a board. Based on my calculations for a 42" oven i would need 6 boards. Thats a total of $60.30, which is good. What do you guys think.

Thanks again.
                    You will need "ceramic fiber" blanket for you dome. That is where the direct flame impingement will be. The 1200 degrees for the calsil is well within the tolerances of what you floor will recieve.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                      You will need "ceramic fiber" blanket for you dome. That is where the direct flame impingement will be. The 1200 degrees for the calsil is well within the tolerances of what you floor will recieve.

Yes, i know about the blanket being ceramic fiber, ill do that. So Calsil is the way to go i guess. Thanks again.

Comment

Here is my latest update from today.
                        Layed the wall by the BBQ pit, filled with cement, cut open a hole at the pizza oven base to install a vent for air flow when wood is being stored. Stucco'ed the exterior side of the cinder blocks so spiders dont get in & installed the forms for the concrete countertop, it will have a 4" overhang lip, i will stain the concrete and polish it as it will be my finished surface. Here are the photos.

First we did the stucco on the insides. Note the open area left for the vent.

Here is the sink side

http://i49.tinypic.com/x28fnn.jpg

Here is the sink im using, my father in-law gave it, free is nice...

Here is the BBQ pit side, with the wall just layed and filled with concrete.

Here is the Cast Iron door im using for the BBQ pit, will be used as a air vent & to add coals & wood.

Comment

Here is the oven base with the center column, i am thinking about making two columns but spread apart from each other.

We then started on the counter top form. Here what we are doing is drilling holes into the cinder block with a hammer drill, then wedging wood then screwing the wood to the cinder blocks for support.

Comment

Comment

Question guys. Is 15 LB board Density enough to support our ovens?

Comment

Here are some pictures from the warehouse that supplies industrial insulation. Pacific Insulation - Industrial Products - Pipe Insulation, Air Handling/HVAC, Industrial Insulation, Commercial Insulation, Insulation Fabrication. . Heavier than i thought they would be. Its pretty solid, Asbestos free and Made in USA.

Last edited by V-wiz; 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X