No announcement yet.

42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

I was going to recommend that you use a slicker or jointer instead of a tuck pointer but I see two of them in the picture. Nice work.

I tried a grout bag once, very early in my career. It got thrown in the trash after a minute of use.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Hi-V,

The finish is great, but wasn't that a ass-backward way of doing it, and a waste of time and materials?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi-V,

The finish is great, but wasn't that a ass-backward way of doing it, and a waste of time and materials?
          Absolutly not. As a matter of fact i made more use of the bricks. I doubled the use of each bricks. The time to apply the mortar was about 1 hour, which is nothing. It was well worth it.

Comment

V-wiz,
            I halfway agree with Laurentius .

The finish is great,............................................
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

If don't have the LIKE button still, but would have given one if I could . I did the same thing with a brick face on mine. I don't see any difference between applying a brick look with thin-set than doing the same with faux stone.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  V-wiz,
                  I halfway agree with Laurentius .

The finish is great,............................................
                  Gulf,

You totally agree with me! The other half was a question?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                    Gulf,

You totally agree with me! The other half was a question?

Sorry about that sir,
                    If, you are questioning: Why not build the entire stand out of brick? That can be done. It would be no sweat for a brick layer. There are plenty of people on this site who could do that now that have some experience with a trial. But, adding a veneer to a block stand already built to the specifications of the FB plans, is within the abilities of the rest of us.

And it also gives us some leeway on what the final look of the oven will be .

Comment

Agree. With my brick laying skills, I'd much rather have a concrete stand with brick veneer than a brick stand. And I have to say, IMO tuck pointing is actually easier than laying brick for those of us with not so much masonry experience

oh, and concrete is quite a bit cheaper than brick too...
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Minor update, i put in a 300w halogen light inside for an hour, had to leave the house so i turned it off. Within that time it got 115f, nothing ya i know. I plan on having my propane weed burner in there tomorrow, see what happens. Ill try to keep it under 200f ?. On another note i used my moisture meter and here is what i found, the dome is bone dry, the outer arch that was recently completed is still wet, the concrete slab/ is still wet/ reads a good amount of moisture, so is the block wall stand. Who would have known it would still be wet with all this heat and after 2 months. I guess i wasnt expecting it but i know its normal.

Comment

Gudday V
                          I am really taken with the look of the old bricks and your method of applying them as 1/2 splits and am really considering covering my dome with them. Lack of a brick saw and the bricks at this stage is a small hurdle Thanks for the inspiration

Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                            Absolutly not. As a matter of fact i made more use of the bricks. I doubled the use of each bricks. The time to apply the mortar was about 1 hour, which is nothing. It was well worth it.
                            Nice job. I've enjoyed watching your build. Would this technique be OK to use if my bricks are not solids?

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                              Gudday V
                              I am really taken with the look of the old bricks and your method of applying them as 1/2 splits and am really considering covering my dome with them. Lack of a brick saw and the bricks at this stage is a small hurdle Thanks for the inspiration

Regards dave
                              Glad i can be an inspiration to you Dave. Thank you. The best part about all this was the bricks were free.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
                                Nice job. I've enjoyed watching your build. Would this technique be OK to use if my bricks are not solids?
                                Thanks, not solids you mean they have holes?

Comment

Working...
                                X