No announcement yet.

42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" Brick Oven & Grill in Los Angeles.

It is better to cut the brick to 3/4"-1" if possible. The easy way to tell if you need to is to cut 1 SqFt of brick and weigh them. >14#, no problem.

For example, those brick weigh about 5 pounds ea, and it takes 7 (6.8) per SqFt, cut in half you need 3.5 of them so, 3.5X5=17.5 pounds less the the cut material.

I would have cut them to 3/4" faces. Then you do not have to shim them, they stick, and it is much easier to tuckpoint them.

Comment

ATK, you will need to cut just the face off and get rid of the frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK406 View Post
        Nice job. I've enjoyed watching your build. Would this technique be OK to use if my bricks are not solids?
        I tried a little bit of everything on my housing. I put up a couple veneer pillars and a fake chimney with a mix of cores and solids. I laid them with mortar and the cores worked better than the solids because there was more surface for the mortar to grab on the back of the brick. Cores won't work with thin-set unless you cut the brick down to about 1/3 it's depth to have a smooth surface. That's what I did on my chimney chase and it worked fine.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          Frogs. I love it. I did not know that term
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I officially started the curing. I had the propane weed burner in there for about 2 hours, had it on its lowest setting. Stacked a few fire bricks to diffuse the flame/heat. The hottest the top of the dome got was just shy of 200F. The chimney also seems to be drawing pretty well. Hope i can continue some more tomorrow. Do you guys recommend a constant steady heat? For example keep the heat at 300F for a few hours?

Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Gudday
              I was a bad boy... Built on a ply dome ... Burnt it out 10 days later ... And added more wood and cooked pizza.
              No way no known would I ever consider that now . The pics that I have show the walls still half black with soot.! The pizza i cook now is sooo ... much better
              No damage done no major cracks thank god!
              I slowed down and cured that oven real carefull after that ....
              That first real cook was worth the wait.

Hang in there! It is worth the extra
              Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave, how long do you think i should keep the temps per firing?

Comment

Gudday
                  Once it reaches that temp for that day you let it cool. Next day 100f more and let it cool and so on
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Pardon my ignorance Dave but why let it cool.

Not having built an oven with copious amounts of water in it I dont know, wouldnt it better to leave it warm all the time to drive out the water?
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      Gudday
                      Once it reaches that temp for that day you let it cool. Next day 100f more and let it cool and so on
                      Regards dave
                      Because the crown of the dome heats up and dries faster than the sides and the base its temperature begins to climb even more rapidly. By allowing the oven to cool for 24 hrs, so the theory goes, the whole thing can have a chance to even out and return to ambient so the process can begin with equal temperatures again.Likewise the centre of the floor gets drier and way hotter than the perimeter. Also, by leaving it for 24 hrs some of the water will migrate back into the drier parts of the oven, although in only 24 hrs I'd be doubtful if this would occur to any great extent. In any case a big temperature difference should be avoided because temperature and thermal expansion are directly related and you don't want a big difference in expansion which can lead to cracking. using an IR thermometer taking readings from the base of the dome and the crown will reveal the large temp difference as will that persistent ring of black around the base which also indicates it's not properly dry.

This is particularly a problem if using wood flames to dry the oven as wood flames are difficult to control and direct flame impingement at the crown will hasten this kind of drying. If you use a different method, some of which are prohibited for discussion, rather than wood fire, it is easier to do a slow controlled burn, then you don't have to worry so much about uneven heating.
                      Last edited by david s; 04-12-2013, 12:33 AM. Reason: more
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Vwizz,
                        I notice you have one of those cheap little oven thermometers. I find them really good, quite accurate and cheap to replace. But they are a real pain to move around with a peel. They knock over so easily. I pop rivet a larger SS base to the bottom and they never fall over, they are the best. No need for thermometers at pizza temps, just use the semolina cast into the centre of the floor. 3secs turns it black for the perfect floor temp.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          Do they make cored bricks that are frogged?
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                            Frogs. I love it. I did not know that term
                            If you like that, you can also Frog a mortar bed..that is, apply a line of mortar and make a depression in the middle of it.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                              Vwizz,
                              I notice you have one of those cheap little oven thermometers. I find them really good, quite accurate and cheap to replace. But they are a real pain to move around with a peel. They knock over so easily. I pop rivet a larger SS base to the bottom and they never fall over, they are the best. No need for thermometers at pizza temps, just use the semolina cast into the centre of the floor. 3secs turns it black for the perfect floor temp.
                              So true, its nice to have but once you start to move it, it wants to fall over, thats a good idea thanks

Comment

What do you guys think about having individual heat beads/briquettes spread around the floor, this way its not just in the center of the oven and the lower walls have a chance to heat up all well.

Comment

Working...
                                X