Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Nicely done and great documentation of your build.
    Thanks UtahBeehiver,
    I like the beehive build.
    It's really amazing how people are willing/able to share so much info through this forum that allows newbies like me to look like they know what they're doing.
    Thanks again.
    Todd

Link to my build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ast-18900.html

Comment

Awesome build Todd, you did a great job of documenting it with the pictures. It will be appreciated by others who want to build one. I really like the materials and colors and that roof is beautiful.

Don't you just love that Tuscan Grill?

Thanks again for the great job and sharing it so well, Enjoy your oven (I'm sure you will ) -Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
        Awesome build Todd, you did a great job of documenting it with the pictures. It will be appreciated by others who want to build one. I really like the materials and colors and that roof is beautiful.

Don't you just love that Tuscan Grill?

Thanks again for the great job and sharing it so well, Enjoy your oven (I'm sure you will ) -Dino
        Thanks Dino,
        I love the Tuscan Grill.
        It's certainly true that you build it for the pizza, but the Tuscan Grill is really what justifies it.
        We use it all the time.
        I don't like ordering steaks out at restaurants anymore.
        Thanks for the compliments.
        I wish I could have posted the pics as I was in the middle of the build, but it does take quite a bit of time & I felt it would take away from my build.
        I hope my documentation helps half as much as others in this forum helped me w/ their documentation.

I like your build.
        I remember seeing your foundation & hearth design when I was just a forum lurker!!!
        Todd

Comment

Awesome project! Very nicely done! and I can't believe you did all that in one day !
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi Todd,
            From your photos, it looks like you used a 24 inch duravent pipe. Is that correct? How does it draw, do you have any issues with smoke coming out of the entrance?
            Thanks!
            John

Link to my build: 42 inch Michigan Oven

Comment

jbruning,
              You are correct.
              I used a 24" long X 8" duravent double wall pipe to get me to the ridge vent.
              You can see this in the attachment pics.
              I ended up needing another 1' section to get the heat above the ridge vent & away from the copper (It was melting the solder from the copper joints)...so I ended up w/ 3' of pipe total.
              It draws great.
              I have zero smoke out the outer arch.
              But I paid careful attention to maximize the area in the vent opening that feeds into the vent stack.
              I think this is equally as important as the pipe size.
              You need to keep the vent opening area as large as possible to allow it to draw.
              I'll try to take a picture of this tonight and post it.

Todd B.
              Last edited by boylanta; 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM.
              Todd

Comment

Nice job on both the oven and the documentation.

The whole oven area looks fantastic. I particularly like how you went to the extra effort to have your counter tops at the same height as the oven floor. Most builders don't seem to do this but I think it looks and works better.
                Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

John,
                  See the attached pics of my vent area.
                  You can see how much soot is on the inside of the vent, but none on the outside. This is after a year.
                  I've never cleaned the outside of the outer arch.

The closeup shows how I tapered the vent area to make the opening as large as possible. All the discussions pointed to the large vent area being critical to the chimney drawing all of the smoke up the vent.
                  I can make some measurements of the opening if you want me to, let me know.
                  It seems to work well for my 42"
                  Last edited by boylanta; 06-12-2013, 05:36 PM.
                  Todd

Comment

Thanks Sharkey,
                    I spent a lot of time getting the level right, as you noticed.
                    I wanted a continuous work surface from the floor.
                    This makes it nice to transfer food directly outside onto the counter top.
                    Tks again.
                    Todd

Comment

Thanks Todd!
                      That is very helpful. I really like the look of your oven as it is very well proportioned. Do you know off hand what your roof pitch is?

Nicely done!

Thanks again for the additional info and the pictures.
                      John

Comment

John,
                        The roof pitch is 8.5/12

Thanks for the compliments.
                        Let me know if you need anything.
                        Todd

Comment

Thanks Todd.
                          I'm not finished with my oven yet, but I am starting to think about the enclosure and this information helps. I appreciate the quick response!
                          John

Comment

This looks like what I envision. I begin my build in three weeks and have several questions. Can I email you directly? Dave. Pettigrewdave123@gmail.com.

Comment

Hi Dave,
                              Where are you from?
                              I sent this to you an e-mail as well...

I've attached my build plans in .PDF for the floor layout & dimensions.

I'm 6'1". I used my elbow height as a starting point to plan down & build up from. I picked a height that was comfortable for me to use the oven tools, like the pizza feel, shovel, brush, etc...
                              From this height I designed down to determine height from the ground. I designed up from this height to determine total vertical height.
                              Since I went w/ the 42" design, I knew that the inside of my dome would be 21" (21" radius for the 42" diameter) from the oven floor height. The brick height can then be added to this 21" to determine total dome height, etc...

Here's a link to my build pics in full resolution:
                              http://www.toddboyland.com/Pizza_Ove...Resolution.zip

These higher resolution pics should help you see the jig a little better.
                              Look at the full resolutions pics 058 - 060, then 102 - 105.
                              Also go to page 6, 8, & 9 of my forum build for a description and where I got the design & more details for the wetsaw jig.
                              I've also attached the spreadsheet for the brick cutting angles. This can also be found in my build as well as mrchipster's.

If you want to do tapered, beveled cuts to minimize mortar joints, the jig in an absolute must...IMO.

Hope this helps.
                              Let me know if you have any other questions.
                              I put my phone # in the e-mail, if you have any Q's.
                              Thanks for the interest.
                              Attached Files
                              Todd

Comment

Hi Dave,
                                Answers to your questions...

I'm not an expert, but I would shy away from any products that are not refractory-specific.
                                Most of the refractory products can withstand 2400-3200 degrees F.
                                I do know of the insulation product that you're talking about, but I'm not sure of it's refractory properties.
                                Keep in mind that construction insulation is designed to prevent air moving between walls, refractory insulation is designed to retain heat.

I can't speak for others wishing they had more insulation...
                                But I can say that if my oven is 1000 degrees at night, from cooking, it will be 400-500 degrees the next morning, 12-14 hours later.
                                There will be 8-10" of snow on the roof in the winter, and not a drop of snow melts when the oven is 1000 degrees F.

So I'm very happy w/ how mine is insulated, but that is also based on the specific firebrick, ceramic fiber board, and ceramic fiber blanket that I used.
                                I bought the ceramic fiber board & blanket online.
                                I believe they ship internationally, but you'd have to check.
                                Let me know if you want the contact info, model #'s, pricing, etc...I saved all that info.

So to answer your question about the floor firebrick, I don't see the need to lay the floor bricks on end, I don't regret not doing it that way.
                                Your floor would be less uniform as well, since you'd have so many more joints.
                                I found that firebrick is not as uniform as you might think, so creating a level floor on edge might be a challenge.

I mentioned in my build that I might not use that FB board next time, instead electing to use the vermiculite.
                                This is due to the fact that the FB board cannot get wet & I spent a lot of time having to ensure it stayed dry as I was mortaring chains/courses above it.

It sounds like your layers would provide plenty of insulation, just make sure that your structural layer is below your insulating layer, if you separate them.
                                Are you following the FB Pompeii 110 plans?
                                It explains all this in the .pdf.
                                I just stuck to the plans throughout my build.
                                There are 2 versions, I believe the 2009 .pdf is the most recent.
                                I can send it to you if you like.

I suppose you could use a mitre saw if you were able to keep the bricks wet enough & the blade wet.
                                For me, this was just easier w/ a wet saw.
                                The firebricks need to be wet when cut.
                                It makes them cut easier, there is no dust, and the blades last longer.
                                I soaked each brick in a bucket until the air bubbles stopped coming out (2-3 min).
                                Hope this helps.
                                Todd

Comment

Working...
                                X