X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 42" Pompeii Oven build, Northeast Ohio

Hi Campmaki,
    Take a look at the attached .pdf.
    My design was 31 7/8" from the exterior of the outer arch to the center of my 42" oven.
    The oven landing (countertop) adds 12" to this.
    I have no issues reaching any part of my oven w/ the FB cooking tools.
    Are you counting your oven landing in your 49" measurement?

These dimensions came off my plans.
    I'm cooking tomorrow, so I'll double check these measurements and get back to you.
    Hope this helps.

Todd B.

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    Boylanta, Just a quick question. What is the distance from your flared outer edge to the center of your 42'' oven? Mine is 49'', seems like a reach to the center. Just asking someone who is cooking already. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Todd

Link to my build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ast-18900.html

Comment

Hi Campmaki,
      I un-buried the oven from snow & checked the measurements.
      From the center of my 42" oven to the exterior of the outer arch is 32", same as from my plans (31 7/8").
      The oven landing (countertop) adds 12" to this, making the distance from the counter top edge to the center of the oven 44".

For me, this seems to be a great length for being able to reach the entire oven w/ the FB tools.
      Hope this helps.

Todd B.

Originally posted by boylanta View Post
      Hi Campmaki,
      Take a look at the attached .pdf.
      My design was 31 7/8" from the exterior of the outer arch to the center of my 42" oven.
      The oven landing (countertop) adds 12" to this.
      I have no issues reaching any part of my oven w/ the FB cooking tools.
      Are you counting your oven landing in your 49" measurement?

These dimensions came off my plans.
      I'm cooking tomorrow, so I'll double check these measurements and get back to you.
      Hope this helps.

Todd B.
      Todd

Comment

Thanks for your help. You did not have to dig out just for me. We have been digging out here in Wisconsin quite a bit this winter. It is really getting old. My plan now is to pull the dome forward to access the cooking area a little easier. I can reach a little bit but if my wife is cooking that would be a different story, as she is shorter. I am already hearing about the height of the build, which is standard. I might just eliminate the landing area and build a separate work/prep area to the right of the oven. My thinking is you really do not want to be standing in front, only to put and take out the goodies. Also toying with the idea of a stepped in veneer design. With this design a person needs to be careful of horizontal masonry joints exposed to the weather. The flat steps would be precast stone panels. I also am using a air barrier/moisture (peel and stick) product with mortar net weeps to get any water out of the cavity between the backup block and brick veneer. Any dis-simmiular materials that ajoin each other would get backer rod and a eurathane sealant such as Tremco dymonic. What I want is a build that does not look so much like a little house. Other builds on this site are nice, but I want something different.

Comment

Campmaki,
          No problem, I was cooking anyways.
          So no big deal to dig out.

My only $.02 about eliminating the landing area...is that it's nice to pull terra cotta dishware & cast iron pans to the landing to let them cool a little bit before going to the work surface to my right, as you described.

Sounds like you have it well under control.
          Good luck.

Todd B.

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
          Thanks for your help. You did not have to dig out just for me. We have been digging out here in Wisconsin quite a bit this winter. It is really getting old. My plan now is to pull the dome forward to access the cooking area a little easier. I can reach a little bit but if my wife is cooking that would be a different story, as she is shorter. I am already hearing about the height of the build, which is standard. I might just eliminate the landing area and build a separate work/prep area to the right of the oven. My thinking is you really do not want to be standing in front, only to put and take out the goodies. Also toying with the idea of a stepped in veneer design. With this design a person needs to be careful of horizontal masonry joints exposed to the weather. The flat steps would be precast stone panels. I also am using a air barrier/moisture (peel and stick) product with mortar net weeps to get any water out of the cavity between the backup block and brick veneer. Any dis-simmiular materials that ajoin each other would get backer rod and a eurathane sealant such as Tremco dymonic. What I want is a build that does not look so much like a little house. Other builds on this site are nice, but I want something different.
          Todd

Comment

You obviously know what your doing which is why I'm hoping you can help me out with mine. I have had my oven for two years now and have enjoyed it's function. It maintains good heat and I have had few problems with it until recently.

I'm in NorthEast Ohio and noticed that after the long cold winter I was getting some moisture in the dome. Once spring and summer came, the oven continued to function properly, however, last week, I noticed morter had fallen out of the mortor joints inside the dome. I had help with that part of the construction and my knowledge of brick laying is limited. I know the three piece dome is jointed to fit together and am wondering if I need morther in the joints, or is it ok with a gap that is around a 4th of an inch.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,
              I have had some small amounts of mortar come out of a few joints as well, but I am not too concerned. I believe one of the best methods for climates like ours it to perform a few small curing fires again if you suspect moisture in the dome, especially during winter/spring when it's used less frequently.
              As for adding more mortar, there are others better versed than me on that topic. I would search the forum.
              But you could always fill the cracks again w/ mortar.
              I used the homebrew mixture w/ good success.
              What's the worst that happens, it falls out again?
              Tks.

Todd Boyland
              Todd

Comment

Thanks for your response. My biggest concern was heat loss, or even flame going up into the dome and having contact with the actual insulation blaket. Also, if excessive heat were getting into the dome without a place for it to be released, can enough presure build to where it would cause cracking or even explode. I have heard of them exploding. I don't know if that is a tall tail, but I can see how it may happen.

Comment

Joe,
                  If you used the ceramic fiber blanket (or substantial equivalent) recommended by FB you should be fine.
                  If memory serves me, it's good to 2800 or 3200 degrees.
                  Way above anything the oven will produce.
                  Todd

Comment

Thanks Todd for your comments. I guess I'll fire it up and see what happens.

Comment

Boylanta, just wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic oven and, more importantly for a noob like me, such detailed posts.

I've been worrying about the arches and trying to work out how much room I needed so I could size my hearth and hence the foundation. Reading through your build has put me straight on a number of matters. Really liked the way you ground out the inner arch to sit the chains on.

I think I'll settle down with a beer tonight and read the whole thing again. well done again...

Comment

Hi There! Magnificent build! Any chance of getting the plans from you??

Comment

Originally posted by boylanta View Post
                          013 - Floor template
                          I have all of these files saved in softcopy/.PDF.
                          So if anyone needs a better copy of this file, or needs additional dimensions that I used, please e-mail me.

Hey Todd,

Is it possible to send me the pdf of your floor layout or is there somewhere I can download it? Congrats on a superb build!!

Comment

RaymondW - if you go back to post 164 in this thread, I think the attached file is what you are looking for. I just downloaded it myself.

Originally posted by RaymondW View Post
                            Hey Todd,

Is it possible to send me the pdf of your floor layout or is there somewhere I can download it? Congrats on a superb build!!

Comment

Todd

Love your work, have everything going and ready to start my base is done. I created some wood bricks to practice the cuts and truly understand the principal associated with the jig. Make my 3 cuts but I end up with the proper bevel and angles but my finished bricks are two different sizes. Is the second cut based on starting on the centre mark??? I am hoping you can provide me with some guidance.....

Thank you again

Comment

Todd you probably get tired of these messages... but I will ask... can you let me know what material you used under the vent plate is that a standard brick mortared and cut or is it a ie: 18 x 18 floor tile cut

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X