Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Virginia

OK, Al, Yeah I googled "blue tac".........you were being funny weren't you

But then when I googled "sh1t to a blanket", apparently in some cultures they do use that for adhesion?

Oh, it's just pooh.

I probably wont try that, I say 'probably' because I will not totally rule it out at this point. Damn stones better start sticking better or I'll try anything.

(I can hear it now from the kids, "Dad, why does the pizza smell funny?")

Comment

fabby,
      If you did'nt already have some of your stone set I would suggest expanded metal lath tapcon screwed to the block first. Since you're into it if you want to really stick the stone use a 600PSI construction adhesive available in quart caulking cartridges. You'll need to brace the heavier stones until set unless they are resting on another stone. When all your stones are set come back and grout between them.

Comment

Fabby,

Go to Gulf's Picassa album and look at pic 250-260ish to get an idea on his chimney top. Might give you an idea.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Les. Your chimney top looks great. The space between the flue liner and the top bricks has a layer of high heat mortor to seal that top? Will that crack? Or is there some other glue I cannot see?
          That's what I used and no problems

Also, I have some leftover paver bricks, can I use that on the top course rather than the bricks with holes, or do I need to get some regular solid bricks?
          You could probably use them - most likely not a good match, I would bite the bullet and buy a few solids.

I also have some leftover gray pavers I could use as well. Will they bond with mortar?
          Mortar sticks to pavers incredibly well.
          Last edited by Les; 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Heading out to fill the chimney with vcrete and then close it up. I hope to start the curing process next week. My dome has been done for three weeks. I thought I would give the chimney a week to cure as well before the fires start.

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
              OK, Al, Yeah I googled "blue tac".........you were being funny weren't you

But then when I googled "sh1t to a blanket", apparently in some cultures they do use that for adhesion?

Oh, it's just pooh.

I probably wont try that, I say 'probably' because I will not totally rule it out at this point. Damn stones better start sticking better or I'll try anything.

(I can hear it now from the kids, "Dad, why does the pizza smell funny?")
              Ok all jokes aside, how is your sand, is it fatty?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i put up another course of stone yesterday as well as insulated the chimney and cut the caps. Will need to mortar them if it doesn't rain today.

The sand I am using is from a local outdoor products supplier, it has more clay adn clumpiness than the earlier bags I bought at Lowe's for masonry, and I have been adding an acrylic fortifier to the mix as well. This works OK but the rocks still tend to slide. I have been using some chips of stone to brace against the lower stone, and even in some cases, letting the stones touch a little bit. I will get some pics on here soon.

do I need to have the chimney top mortared for a week before I can start curing?

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  Ok all jokes aside, how is your sand, is it fatty?
                  Brickie, didn't know you had your own sand.

Brickie?s sand
                  As the name implies this is the preferred sand of bricklayers. It has a clay component, up to 30 per cent by weight, that makes it sticky. When blended with cement and lime to make mortar, the resulting mix is termed ?fatty?, which means it is easy to work when laying bricks, as it is compressible and oozes out of the joints.
                  Description: Brickie?s sand has a slightly sticky look and feel when damp and forms lumps when dry. It can leave colour on hands or clothes due to its clay content.
                  Uses: A major component of brick- and block-laying mortar and bagging for walls. It?s available in yellow and white to allow for different mortar colours.
                  Other names: Fatty sand, brick sand, brickie?s loam.
                  Link to my build here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Latest update. I spent the weekend with curing fires while I was finishing up some rock veneer.

I still need to do some tuck pointing but it was nice to get the fires going. On the third day, I had the oven up to about 400 F, but it was a long slow burn rather than a rapid temp increase.

My question, is it better at this stage to have longer more even fires or continue to hit the temp and let it cool. My dome is looking good, no cracks to note of, and the top 2/3's is looking 'whiter' in regards to the mortar. Is that what happens when the oven cures?

I hope to get some photos up tonight.

Comment

finally some progress pics.
                      Started the curing with small fires. By the fourth fire. The wife wanted to try some bread. I said "what the hay, throw it in there and see what happens."

pretty cool.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	first fire.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	294750;Click image for larger version

Name:	first fire smoke.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	294751;Click image for larger version

Name:	fourth fire wife wants to bake bread.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	294752

oh yeah.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	four months of work for a loaf of bread.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	294753

Comment

Fabby,
                        These are the good times!. I am sure that they will be followed by many, even greater times. I love to see folks having fun with their ovens. Especially, during the curing .
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looks great Can't wait to start mine!

Comment

Way to go Fabby, something about a fire that makes everything taste good. Kudos.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Need some help. I got my blankets and chicken wire on the dome this weekend. In between pouring rain, I was able to get my scratch coat on. A mix of 3:1 sand to S mortar mix. I still have some lumps around due to the chicken wire. It has been 24 hours. Should I fill those in knowing that the thickness will increase to 1" in these low spots? Should I use the same mix ratio or should I do something different? Should I let things set up some before adding any stucco?

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
                                Need some help. I got my blankets and chicken wire on the dome this weekend. In between pouring rain, I was able to get my scratch coat on. A mix of 3:1 sand to S mortar mix. I still have some lumps around due to the chicken wire. It has been 24 hours. Should I fill those in knowing that the thickness will increase to 1" in these low spots? Should I use the same mix ratio or should I do something different? Should I let things set up some before adding any stucco?

Thanks for all the encouragement.
                                You can apply another coat as soon as the first coat has gone off, ie, next day.
                                Thickness isnt a real concern with portland cement based stuff.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X