Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cladding igloo in something other than stucco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cladding igloo in something other than stucco?

All,

I'm about halfway through my build -- I have my stand and most of my countertops done, and have firebrick in hand now. I will be doing an igloo style, not house style, and I'm interested in finishes other than stucco. Stucco seems to be the default for igloos, but it also seems to be the material that would show any cracks in the most obvious way and would be the hardest to look good (i.e. perfectly smooth and hemispherical). Especially for a stucco newbie like me.

Here's an alternative I really like so far: what looks to be 2x2 or 3x3 tiles (travertine in this case?)

I think the lens on the camera must be funny though, the proportions are all beetlejuice

Here's a really nice alternative, hand-cut copper tiles:

But that looks really hard and really expensive too.

Does anyone else have good pics of tiled or otherwise non-stucco-clad dome-style ovens that I could use for inspiration? I've never done stucco, but have done tile many times.

Re: Cladding igloo in something other than stucco?

The problem is the geometry. A hemisphere does not lend itself to being covered by flat pieces of anything that is not itself plastic. I like the copper shingles best, but it is extremely labor intensive and expensive, although probably the best from a weatherproofing standpoint. 2 coat stucco with small tiles is the cheapest that will also withstand moderate rain like we have here in Central Texas.

It was a pleasure to meet you today, hopefully the rain will stop so you can get some work done.

Comment

I elected for stucco. Originally was going to build a house, but then decided that stucco would be easier to complete and get done so I could begin using the oven. I might decide to build a house later, but I do like the look of the oven at this time.Click image for larger version

Name:	right side firing.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	294885
      I wish that I would have done some vermiculite over the blankets to insure a rounded dome, but I ended up using more stucco to fill things in.

The different layers were all different colors that I tried out. You can really do some nice things witht stucco, and it is very forgiving. Pick your favorite color and mix the stain into the concrete stucco.

I have seen some of the builds with fancy tiles and mosaics, truly impressive.
      After a year or two of pizza's, and if I get bored, I might come back and do something like that as well

Comment

Gudday
        I got bored with the look and after seeing the effect that V-wiz did with cutting up his own brick veneer I decided to do my own.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	899.1 KB
ID:	294886
        All the bricks are mismatched and all the cuts are with a brick bulster but I'm liking the effect. Still to be cleaned of properly of the lime scale and sealed.
        Also check out Gulfs build he has his with saw cut brick veneer looks great
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

After I built my "short, beaver tail" Pompeii, I decided to make a brick facade as my outer cover. I also decided to build a facade that mimicked the half-barrel look. Below are pics of the original closed dome and the final enclosure. While eating bread or pizza, my guests to the Dragonfly Den never comment or complain about why my oven isn't a dome on the outside...and I am very happy with the look of it.

I cut bricks lengthwise and used cement board for a vertical guide on the sides. For the barrel top, I arched a piece of metal lathe panel over the top using the cement board sides to hold it in place. The split bricks went over the metal arch pretty easily and gave me an enclosure with excellent durability, strength, and one that "fit" the front's brick & tile look better (at least to my eye).
          Last edited by SableSprings; 05-26-2013, 12:32 PM.
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would suggest those interested in different surface treatments might be pleased with what they find in the archives. There have been some IMHO absolutely stunning WFOs created by members of this forum.

such as:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

and
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...-sos-6701.html

which leads into:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...cing-6848.html

Hope this helps,
            Wiley

Comment

[QUOTE]Gudday
              I got bored with the look and after seeing the effect that V-wiz did with cutting up his own brick veneer I decided to do my own.

All the bricks are mismatched and all the cuts are with a brick bulster but I'm liking the effect. Still to be cleaned of properly of the lime scale and sealed.
              Also check out Gulfs build he has his with saw cut brick veneer looks great
              Regards dave
              [/QUOTE
              ]

I like the look of the bricks, mismatched is very stylish

Comment

Pfennigthecat....
                There is a current trend in my area of new houses, basically they put a stone aggregate (many styles and colours) in the top of the driveway surface.
                This would be something between a simple mosaic and a polished counter top (not that you would do a polished dome).
                Then there is stenciled and stamped concrete.....

Just kickin in ideas to get creative juices running!!!!!

Me I'm just a render/stucco tragic as I love playing with it to get a nice dome....kinda addictive

There was once a picture on here where a guy did a massive lizard shaped in stucco on top of his dome..
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Gudday again
                  Everyone does there natural stone as flat slabs over the surface.
                  I've seen on oven covered with rough cut thin slate layed on the thin side down flat on the stand , then stacked up like brick till it reached the top. Thing it might be in a book somewhere if I find it I scan and post it.
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Cladding using stone, this is an option that I went with.

Comment

Working...
                    X