• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yorkshireknight
    replied
    Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Been thinking about the front arch and chimney, my opening is 16" by 10
    I have seen various mentions of flue size etc and the rule of thumb seems to be 10 or is it 15% of opening? Can someone tell me if a 6" flue/chimney would be OK for this opening. (the oven is 32 Diameter if that makes a difference))

also what about the size of the opening before the chimney/flue is this the vent?
    Im a little mixed up with Vent and flue/chimney is it all the same thing or is the vent the hole that leads to the flue/chimney.

also about height, Is there any minimum recommendation for this?

Many Thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Thanks for the compliment Sharkey, Good idea with your bench set up, my backs been aching like mad, these days I really have to force myself to get out of bed to head on down to my brick pile, but hope to have the dome closed tomorrow.
    Rgds
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Sharkey
    replied

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post

Picture 3 shows my little set up (Bulgarian Jig) I clamp the brick, as shown stick my foot on the board and whizz away, I'm sure H&SE would have something to say about it.
    Hi

That's a pretty good transition for using an angle grinder. It should work really well.

I also used an angle grinder for my build. To cut my bricks I clamped them to an old timber bench seat so I didn't have to bend over so much.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Ha Ha,! Gudday Dave, thank you for the dialect correction, we born and bred from Yorkshire also speak more slowly than those from the south that's why I write slowly too so you don't have to read fast.

Joking apart, its good of you to explain about the mortar situation, I had read that the mortar only keeps bricks apart but I still thought it may crumble under the weight, so now with your last post I may sleep better at night.

Hi Ya Russell, yep, getting closer buddy, wish I could get it closed this week but have a few days out and the weather is set to change to rain for a few days, must curb my eagerness.

We visited the Messai Verde last year while staying with family in Colorado so wasn't very far from the four corners and your good self in Utah.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Yorkie,

Doing really well with your build considering all your cuts are with a angle grinder and a brick chisel. You are getting close to plugging the dome.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Paul
    You should change your thinking about the mortar. Yes as your building it grabs each brick and holds it together. But the last brick goes in its role changes.
    You have built yourself a dome. Gravity now becomes the thing that holds that dome together and makes it such a strong structure. The mortar become now somthing that seperates the bricks. The weight above bears down and its those Inside horizontal joints that are inportant to the strength of the structure. The mortar at the back and sides just position the brick and aren't really the load bearing bit.
    By the way I use the Queensland Gudday. It's not as clipped as that from the Guday from down south and said a little more slowly, still one word ,but with 2 difined different 'D' sounds. Spell check hates it
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

G'day Dave, Thank you for your encouragement and support, yes its been blood sweat and frustrations to get here, and its not the neatest of ovens by all means.
    My main worry is the fire cement I'm using it says its not recommended for joints over 8mm the ones at the back and underneath are 3 times larger but because they are at the back maybe it will be ok, however there are some at the inner joints which are twice the recommended.
    My hope is that the cement/glue is for 1000c so not reaching them temps will make it ok, not being able to understand the breakdown of cement properties gives me my cause for concern.

Glad you appreciate the work done with only angle grinder, I have seen my life pass before my eyes many a time I come to do the cuts, here is a picture of my set up.

Picture 1 & 2 shows the completed 7th row and the 8th row brick in place with the gap to overcome

Picture 3 shows my little set up (Bulgarian Jig) I clamp the brick, as shown stick my foot on the board and whizz away, I'm sure H&SE would have something to say about it.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
    Ok Guys, finished the 7th row today, I found that I was having to cut every brick to shape to make a smaller gap at the bottom.

Is this normal for the gaps to be a menace on these rows?
    For the 8th row I intend to make the bricks 3"x 2.31" so I will get 3 wedges for every brick, rather than cut them and then shape them individually is it possible to cut them with a desired slant so they fit better hence only having to cut once?

I only have a angle grinder so no jig, I have been racking my brain how to do this but it has me stumped, so if anyone can show me a picture/diagram how to do it, it would be a tremendous help.

regards
    Paul
    Gudday Paul
    I built with an angle grinder as well so I know how frustrating it is with those gapes getting bigger as the rows become smaller. Your going to have to except those gapes. You oven will operate equally as well and will not fall down !
    My ovens 3 yrs old now and still cooking great rough brickwork and all !
    Look up Budget Build 36" in the getting started section , there's hardly a cut in the whole structure the pavers have been snapped in 1/2 s only.
    I think you have done exceedingly well that inner arch transition is a masterpiece .... And done with an angle grinder!!!!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Thanks DJ, found a thread on Texmans build, there was quite a lot of explanations plus diagrams on there too, I know I have some whopping gaps throughout the build but I'm learning to b e more careful as I head towwrds the completion of dome.

have to have a few days off now sadly and the weather forecast for rain next week so will update when Ive completed.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Are you using a jig to cut your bricks? Doesn't sound like it from your description. My spreadsheet gives you the angles to build a jig based on the instructions in this thread

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html

oops. just read to the end and saw you are using an angle grinder. Maybe some sort of template so that you could mark the bricks. One cut should give you a usable edge on each side.

Or you might want to rent a brick saw for a day for the last couple courses if one is available
    Last edited by deejayoh; 09-27-2013, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Ok Guys, finished the 7th row today, I found that I was having to cut every brick to shape to make a smaller gap at the bottom.

Is this normal for the gaps to be a menace on these rows?
    For the 8th row I intend to make the bricks 3"x 2.31" so I will get 3 wedges for every brick, rather than cut them and then shape them individually is it possible to cut them with a desired slant so they fit better hence only having to cut once?

I only have a angle grinder so no jig, I have been racking my brain how to do this but it has me stumped, so if anyone can show me a picture/diagram how to do it, it would be a tremendous help.

regards
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Aw Thanks Deejayoh, that's very kind for you to say,

Looking at your calculator, after I went back to recalculate my previous cuts, I made the mistake of thinking that all the bricks would be the same until the finish, but I can see that your right about making them smaller, I have cut the 7th course already to the same dimensions as the 6th, but using your calculator I Will cut the bricks to thirds 3" x 2.5" for the 8th course and I have lots of little 2 " pieces for the 9th course. so fingers crossed.

Its very time consuming, 9 hours today I've done at my brick pile, I expect I will do another 9 tomorrow as I am shaving all the top edges of the bricks to close the gap ( I know better now to make them thinner)

Very tight space on my corner build, but good exercise ( try telling my back that!!

Onwards and upwards.!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Paul -
    You got over that arch in really good shape. No apparent droop or out of round. Very well done! That is probably the toughest part of the build. I wouldn't fret at all about the joint sizes. You'll not be looking at them after you close it up!

You should be working with 1/3 cut bricks at this point, and move to quarters or even smaller for the last couple of courses. That will keep the joints nice and tight. I found it easiest to use a size that allows you to use 15-20 bricks per course up until the last couple courses. For the last couple, you will find that you can't get more than 8-12 brick sections in without going to a size that is smaller than you are going to want to use.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

At last, finished the 6th course and the transition is completed, many thanks to all those that held my hand along the way suffice it to say I could not have done it without your words of wisdom and expertise.

here are a few photos of todays efforts.

Picture 1 the finished 6th course
    picture 2 shows my short fall on the transition
    Picture 3 aerial view
    picture 4 Shows a couple of ugly and large joints.

I now understand what you mean that to enable small gaps at the bottom of the bricks the bricks should get smaller/thinner as you go up particulary on the last courses.

I find that I am having to shave the edges of every brick to try and close this gap.

I obviously failed on a few.

Hope to have row 7 done tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Sorry to be vague Chip, and thankyou but DJ has now answered what I was trying to say.

As for the beveling it was for your thermal break that I was looking at, it looks very nice Chip all credit to you for the extra mile or two you've gone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X