X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studlyone
    replied
    Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Very nice project and write up, thanks for a riveting read, its good to know that I am not alone in Bulgaria with a taste for Pizza ;-)

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Hi Chip & Russell, thank you for your compliments and once again thanks for all your inputs you have been terrific in your support too.
    Yes a lot of time has been spent down in the barn but now I can reap the rewards of my labours, hoping to do Christmas dinner in it.................when we decide what we shall have.

On the verge of doing my first bread batch and wish to do a chicken and veg for practice before I try the Christmas dinner!!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Yorkie,

You have come a long ways to the completion of your oven. Congrats and looks very nice, especially with the great looking stone wall in the back. Enjoy the cooking..........

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Great looking space, great corner layout, and the tools and holder look very functional also.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Thanks SC, and for your input.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It came out very nice too. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

The kitchen/bbq area is now finished.
    The dome has been dried out the render around the exterior has been finished.
    I have made my own tools from aluminium and broom handles all for ?20
    The chimney works great although a little on the small side.
    The dome takes 1hr 20 -1hhr 30mins to become clear.
    The door has been made and 2inches of insulation is placed between.

I enquired about stucco here, stucco is a finishing plaster which has colour and or pattern finish when dry, it was approx. ?125 for 20kg, which is way expensive albeit a beautiful finish texture, it was obviously not what I was looking for.
    Mazilka plaster was what I ended up using 1x40kg bag cost ?7.

The first pizzas have been made and were terrific.

I started this project at the beginning of the year and with the expertise, knowledge, patience of those who have guided me along this road to pizzadom I am very grateful.

To anyone just starting out and or contemplating building an oven:
    If I can do it YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN TOO!, I had no previous experience in building anything!
    There is a great deal of willing help on this site, so ask the questions, including the ones you think are stupid! Having travelled the road and tasted my first pizza, I can tell you its well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

That would be the most prudent way, yes.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Thanks for the advice, I went sort of between the guys who insulate before curing hence a few cures insulate cure again method, I didn't notice steaming until I have insulated though.

So cure until steam stops and then go nuclear!! SC ?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Your masonry is holding water, keep firing until the steam stops before you go nuclear. When I dry ovens, I do it without the insulation...passing the moisture into it from the oven never makes sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

I have done 4 small curing fires,(without insulation) albeit I have no idea what my temps went to, however I am now armed with a infrared thermometer.

The dome is now insulated (but not stuccoed/rendered)

Today I got my fire up to the point where it just started to clear the dome top (which took about an hour)

I have just noticed lots of steam coming from the insulation blanket, is this normal?
    I would imagine the bricks are still holding moisture?

Would I be ok to get the next fire to completely clear the dome and cook a pizza, or should I wait until steam stops appearing through the insulation?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

To save costs you can use a double insulated flue just where it passes through the roof instead of the whole height of the pipe.

Leave a comment:

• yorkshireknight
    replied

Many Thanks guys for your concerns, I shall take on board what you say.

will use the local guy to knock something up, when I see him.

No fire laws here regarding chimneys and nearly every house in the country burns wood, as far as I'm aware only Sofia the capital has mains gas to some properties.

That being said I do not disregard safety when messing with fires.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

And, as mentioned, get rid of that flue if it's single wall. That should be a double or triple wall SS flue

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

If you lower the connection point, it will help you clear the ridge framing and keep your angled run of pipe further away from your roof sheathing. You want a minimum of 2" clearance between your flue and combustibles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X