82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Chip, thanks for the tip, I have just been putting together my arch form and thought about this reveal stop. Is it to keep the bricks in line and even for the future door jamb?
    If so the penny has now dropped and indeed a good idea to enable a better fitting.
    Thanks
    Paul

Comment

Don't want to hijack the thread. Nope not offended in the least and I love to joke around also. The bakery thing requires much more research and learning before I jump in with two feet. I am fully aware of the risks and that is why I am moving slowly. In the mean while I'm baking and building a bread list of new breads...It's all good :-)

Comment

Faith maybe you can send me a recipe or two when I eventually get my oven built.
        You sound really busy...glad to hear all is good.

Comment

Will do, let me know when your ready.

Comment

I posted my IT & arch template on the wrong thread (mortar gaps)
            Oops
            Here is my newer version as adapted from Laku's diagram.

The wood shaft now points to the centre of the brick depth.
            Thanks to Tex and Dejayoh for pointing out my error I now hope this will work better.

Comment

Nice, I found when I went up towards the top I needed to make my bricks narrower so I had to cut down my IT tool. Just a heads up.

Faith

Comment

Today I have enquired about shaped fire bricks for the arch, unfortunately the suppliers have said there are none, I must cut them.

I wished to make my arch like that of Octoforno and Chips etc so to incorporate the transition, this means I would have to cut my bricks on there edge lengthways, difficult with only a angle grinder, so I have an idea that if I make a small cut around the line I wish to cut and then finish off with a hammer & chisel would this work? ( I shall practice on an old brick first to see how It turns out)

Secondly does anyone have a spreadsheet/calculator for the angles I would need to cut.
                My opening is 410mm x 26mm (16" x 10") the bricks are 65mm deep x 250mm L x125 W and I wish for gaps to be max 8mm.

Paul

Comment

Gudday Paul
                  If you have 5 full bricks spanning a section of an arch you have 4 large gapes inbetween on the outer edge. If you split those bricks lengthways you now have 10 1/2 bricks occupying the same space and 9 spaces inbetween . The 9 gapes inbetween occupy the same space that the four did but are smaller.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	984.9 KB
ID:	296885
                  The arch on my oven is made up of 2 in pavers instead of 3 1/2 in brick and as you can see makes the arch look smoother because of the larger amount of smaller gapes.
                  If you were to cut full size bricks to suit the arch you would have to produce them with a cut on either side. A fairly accurate cut as well , I built with an angle grinder and I recon it would be hard to keep your accuracy. Perhaps you might consider a single straight cut lengthways though each bricks and build the arch with more pieces and more smaller gapes on the outside.
                  Of course I didn't think of this by myself another forum member beat me too it!
                  Hope this helps in some way
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                    Today I have enquired about shaped fire bricks for the arch, unfortunately the suppliers have said there are none, I must cut them.

I wished to make my arch like that of Octoforno and Chips etc so to incorporate the transition, this means I would have to cut my bricks on there edge lengthways, difficult with only a angle grinder, so I have an idea that if I make a small cut around the line I wish to cut and then finish off with a hammer & chisel would this work? ( I shall practice on an old brick first to see how It turns out)

Secondly does anyone have a spreadsheet/calculator for the angles I would need to cut.
                    My opening is 410mm x 26mm (16" x 10") the bricks are 65mm deep x 250mm L x125 W and I wish for gaps to be max 8mm.

Paul

You don't need a spreadsheet for those cuts. Use your IT to figure out the angle for the top bricks and carry that around
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

!st Row completed.
                      I noticed when I put the arch template back it doesn't quite match with the edge of bricks can this be rectified on the next course?

To make my hemispherical arch do I start turning the bricks in at this point, I have noticed others turn after the 2nd course?

Cobbler Dave, thanks for the tip will look at this method if its not a detriment to doing what Dennis, chip and Octo etc have done. Your idea was done on the outside arch but maybe it will work on the inside too.

Thanks Dennis, I see that you went through a similar problem although you had the right tools for the job to cut angle your bricks for the arch.

Comment

Paul

If you will get your IT set, it will greatly aid in your setup and alignment of your arch template. You will want to put a brick in the IT and test the top of the arch template. See Russell's #38 and my #41 on your thread. Those should be looking familiar to you now.

Also, you need to decide how you will build your vent and flue. Will the chimney rest on your inner arch or be separate?

Texman
                        Texman Kitchen
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Hi Tex, I will put the board back in tomorrow with the IT and start looking at the arch formation its a little clearer now but I must overcome the problem of large gaps/ cutting my bricks to shape or I may use wedges between each course as I go round.
                          Undecided yet but may have time to have a good scratch of my head in the morning.

Yes I intend to rest the flue on the inner arch and outer arch(hopefully) going by what Ive seen, when the arch is done there will be 9inches of front brick which you can see in the photos plus whatever room is left on the arch bricks. If you get my drift.
                          Will look at those threads you mentioned Tex.

Cheers Paul

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                            !st Row completed.
                            I noticed when I put the arch template back it doesn't quite match with the edge of bricks can this be rectified on the next course?

To make my hemispherical arch do I start turning the bricks in at this point, I have noticed others turn after the 2nd course?

Cobbler Dave, thanks for the tip will look at this method if its not a detriment to doing what Dennis, chip and Octo etc have done. Your idea was done on the outside arch but maybe it will work on the inside too.

Thanks Dennis, I see that you went through a similar problem although you had the right tools for the job to cut angle your bricks for the arch.
                            Wrap the top of the arch template in a thin sheet of tin, the inside edge of the template is of no concern, get some shims under the template before continuing your arch also. The shims can be removed easily and the template will come out without any major issues once dropped.
                            Chip

Comment

I think I've made a little progress in the understanding of building my arch and many thanks for your help guys. Please take a look and let me know if I'm proceeding OK.
                              Looking at my arch ends (on photo) they are slightly of different dimensions somehow, will this prove a problem as I go round?

I have had a go at tapering a few bricks with the angle grinder for the arch its hard work but I'm managing although they don't look pretty Im pretty happy with my efforts, but my back is aching from all the bending over of doing my first 2 courses and cutting.

Picture 1 shows my new arch template and my first tapered arch bricks.
                              The mortar joints are about 20mm at the back of some of the row bricks 15mm on others. I am using only the heat resistant glue (cement based) which has a 1000 deg C tolerance, so my thinking is that the temps we will use will not be a big detriment to my larger joints as it stipulates 8mm max joints.

Picture 2 shows the pencil marks ready for cutting.

Picture 3 Is the IT telling me the line to cut.

Picture 4 Shows where my IT reaches the bottom of the arch. Is this right?

I now need to understand about the board some of you have placed flush with the arch to the centre of your domes.

I understand I need to cut / taper my arch bricks using this guide board but not yet cut the angle. Which angle?. sorry for being such a thicky but I keep reading and looking at pictures but the pennys not dropped on this part yet.

Comment

Tex, The picture in thread 38 & 41 you reffered to. Does that currve go all the way to the top inside of your dome.

Comment

Working...
                                X