82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 82cm Corner Underway in Bulgaria

Yippee!! Dome completed with vent and flue.

Let me once again thank all those that have given me valuable assistance along the way to Pizzadom.

It may not be as grande as some of those I tried to copy, but the hard bits done.

I shall leave it for a week or so before curing the oven and maybe it will be next spring before I do the outer insulation, winter is on its way here and is expected to be the worst for 100 years.

I really wanted to cure the oven before the on set of minus 25 degrees C being worried about the dampness in the bricks freezing and cracking.

The chimney flue will eventually go through the roof of the barn but it may have to be angled to veer it away from the ridge tiles and a beam that is in the way.

Will putting 2 90 degree bends in the flue line make a problem for the draw?

Comment

45 degree bends are recommended can you do 4-45 degree bends at spaced intervals instead of 2-90s. that would be better. It looks to me as if you should be able to get away with 2-45 degrees before your roof and get a significant offset, the first 45 could be right at the top of the oven.
      Last edited by mrchipster; 10-06-2013, 09:26 AM.
      Chip

Comment

Hi Chip,
        I've not seen 45's but I've just remembered that there is a local guy who makes guttering in these parts and he could perhaps make one to measure of any angle desired, In fact now I think about it I might get him to finish the flue and put it through the roof at the same time.
        A couple of months back I saw him on the side of the road with a puncture so I stopped to assist, his jack had broken and so I used mine, so I think he owes me one for a bit of discount anyhow.

Just taken a couple of photos to try show the little problem, it might be he can put it straight vertical but it going to be right on the ridge tiles as you can perhaps just see, the other photo shows where it will miss the ridge and other beams if vertical cant be done.

Comment

45s are available in insulated or uninsulated here in the states. You may also be able to get an adjustable elbow in uninsulated.
          Chip

Comment

Here is an adjustable stainless single wall on eBay.
            Chip

Comment

Two major problems, three if you count the undersized flue.

The first problem is that the flue looks like its made of gal and will last about 10 fires if you are lucky, the other problem is taking a single flue past all that timber in the roof.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If you lower the connection point, it will help you clear the ridge framing and keep your angled run of pipe further away from your roof sheathing. You want a minimum of 2" clearance between your flue and combustibles.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

And, as mentioned, get rid of that flue if it's single wall. That should be a double or triple wall SS flue
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Many Thanks guys for your concerns, I shall take on board what you say.

will use the local guy to knock something up, when I see him.

No fire laws here regarding chimneys and nearly every house in the country burns wood, as far as I'm aware only Sofia the capital has mains gas to some properties.

That being said I do not disregard safety when messing with fires.

Comment

To save costs you can use a double insulated flue just where it passes through the roof instead of the whole height of the pipe.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have done 4 small curing fires,(without insulation) albeit I have no idea what my temps went to, however I am now armed with a infrared thermometer.

The dome is now insulated (but not stuccoed/rendered)

Today I got my fire up to the point where it just started to clear the dome top (which took about an hour)

I have just noticed lots of steam coming from the insulation blanket, is this normal?
                        I would imagine the bricks are still holding moisture?

Would I be ok to get the next fire to completely clear the dome and cook a pizza, or should I wait until steam stops appearing through the insulation?

Comment

Your masonry is holding water, keep firing until the steam stops before you go nuclear. When I dry ovens, I do it without the insulation...passing the moisture into it from the oven never makes sense to me.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I went sort of between the guys who insulate before curing hence a few cures insulate cure again method, I didn't notice steaming until I have insulated though.

So cure until steam stops and then go nuclear!! SC ?

Comment

That would be the most prudent way, yes.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

The kitchen/bbq area is now finished.
                                The dome has been dried out the render around the exterior has been finished.
                                I have made my own tools from aluminium and broom handles all for ?20
                                The chimney works great although a little on the small side.
                                The dome takes 1hr 20 -1hhr 30mins to become clear.
                                The door has been made and 2inches of insulation is placed between.

I enquired about stucco here, stucco is a finishing plaster which has colour and or pattern finish when dry, it was approx. ?125 for 20kg, which is way expensive albeit a beautiful finish texture, it was obviously not what I was looking for.
                                Mazilka plaster was what I ended up using 1x40kg bag cost ?7.

The first pizzas have been made and were terrific.

I started this project at the beginning of the year and with the expertise, knowledge, patience of those who have guided me along this road to pizzadom I am very grateful.

To anyone just starting out and or contemplating building an oven:
                                If I can do it YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN TOO!, I had no previous experience in building anything!
                                There is a great deal of willing help on this site, so ask the questions, including the ones you think are stupid! Having travelled the road and tasted my first pizza, I can tell you its well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X