42" Pompeii - Northern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Pompeii - Northern Illinois

I've been following builds on this great forum and thinking about my build for a couple of years now. After waiting out the village permit application, approval from the homeowners association and finally the freezing temperatures and frozen ground, I'm excited to finally get started. Just finished drilling 5x10" diameter pier holes 42"deep, framing the base and adding the crushed rock and rebar tonight in the rain. The village inspector comes in the morning?.. Assuming all goes well and the weather holds, we will be pouring concrete on Saturday. I welcome any advice the experienced builders here can offer.

I will post additional photos soon.

Last edited by I am Giuseppe; 03-27-2014, 08:35 PM.
    Thanks,
    Giuseppe
    pizza,pizza!

Re: 42" Pompeii - Northern Illinois

Build on! Appears you have the fundamentals down, and it sounds good to me
    . Keep us posted...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

The first step, I am sure it will all roll out now that you have officialdom satisfied.

I look forward to following your progress. It is a worthwhile project and one that will serve you well.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Looking forward to oven management… Can anyone recommend thermocouples and digital or analog gages that I can install. Ideally I would like to install four sensors and a gage with a selector switch. Thanks in advance for your help
        Thanks,
        Giuseppe
        pizza,pizza!

Comment

After consideration, I opted to go simple and use a hand-held IR thermometer instead of integrated thermocouples. You will learn and eventually get to "know your oven" and when and where the temperatures are. (Im sure I will get lots of folks who disagree with me).

One thing to consider is accessability to the thermocouples, in case you have to replace or rewire a thermocouple (thermocouples don't last forever, whereas you oven will).

I am still considering a thermocouple in the door thought....just haven't got around to it.

Comment

I Am,

Being an engineer, I thought that TCs were the way to go. I installed a couple in my dome one near the interior of brick and one near the exterior of the brick to measure heat saturation. All said and done, they work as design but in reality, I don't use them much now and just use the old infared gun or eyeball experience to cook. Nice gadgets but IMHO, use the money for some nice pizza peels.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Giuseppe

Like Utah I use the infra-red digital gun and after a while that goes by the by most of the time. You will soon learn how long it takes to saturate your oven and what temp it clears at. The reliable fist thrust into the oven works fine as well except the we count Burnett Rivers' rather than Mississippis'.

Seems to me that much of the charm of the ancient oven is its simplicity.
              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

For pizza all you need is to clear the dome and throw a bit of flour on the floor if you have a door and want to bake bread or roast just by a probe thermometer that will go through the door, about$25 all the rest is fun when new but you soon don't bother

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  I Am,

Being an engineer, I thought that TCs were the way to go. I installed a couple in my dome one near the interior of brick and one near the exterior of the brick to measure heat saturation. All said and done, they work as design but in reality, I don't use them much now and just use the old infared gun or eyeball experience to cook. Nice gadgets but IMHO, use the money for some nice pizza peels.
                  Good advice here. I ditched the gun years ago. It has it's purpose, but after a while, you just don't need it.

But I'll not fault anyone for wanting another toy to buy......
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by I am Giuseppe View Post
                    I've been following builds on this great forum and thinking about my build for a couple of years now. After waiting out the village permit application, approval from the homeowners association and finally the freezing temperatures and frozen ground, I'm excited to finally get started. Just finished drilling 5x10" diameter pier holes 42"deep, framing the base and adding the crushed rock and rebar tonight in the rain. The village inspector comes in the morning?.. Assuming all goes well and the weather holds, we will be pouring concrete on Saturday. I welcome any advice the experienced builders here can offer.

I will post additional photos soon.

Wondering if anyone has concerns in the northern areas with frost penetration and lifting and or shifting of slabs on grade. At the very least I would put a couple inches of rigid styrofoam under the slab to try to prevent this.

Comment

Oh yeah, there is something saying about "who ever has the most gadgets or toys........." and I am as guilty as the next person. You should see all the gadgets in my "dog" house (the garage).
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for all the comment regarding thermocouples and temperature control.
                        I'm thinking I might forego the thermocouples, as someone here mentioned WHEN they fail they will be virtually impossible to change.

Today was pour day!? I need to thank the family and friends that made short work of about 4,000 lbs of concrete. I was a little worried how things were going to go but all turned out well. Biggest challenge now is to keep it from freezing tonight (low temps 27F). I'm going to tarp for the evening?. Next couple of days should be in the 50's.
                        I will post the photos later?. I having a little trouble in that area.
                        [IMG]http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/photoplog/images/20263/small/1_Pour_day_2.JPG[/IMGhttp://www.fornobravo.com/forum/photoplog/images/20263/small/1_Pour_day_3.JPG
                        Last edited by I am Giuseppe; 03-30-2014, 08:40 AM. Reason: Add photos
                        Thanks,
                        Giuseppe
                        pizza,pizza!

Comment

Originally posted by I am Giuseppe View Post
                          Thanks for all the comment regarding thermocouples and temperature control.
                          I'm thinking I might forego the thermocouples, as someone here mentioned WHEN they fail they will be virtually impossible to change.

Today was pour day!? I need to thank the family and friends that made short work of about 4,000 lbs of concrete. I was a little worried how things were going to go but all turned out well. Biggest challenge now is to keep it from freezing tonight (low temps 27F). I'm going to tarp for the evening?. Next couple of days should be in the 50's.
                          I will post the photos later?. I having a little trouble in that area.
                          Your concrete should fine at 27 degrees because it gives off heat as it cures. I would be a little concerned if it were to get down to the high teens.

Comment

No, he should still cover it below freezing, because the outer layers will freeze, heat from the slab won't stop it.

Straw and a tarp is a cheap insulator and a lot of guys I know still do this. They sell insulating tarps too..under 50 bucks will get you one that will cover the slab.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                              No, he should still cover it below freezing, because the outer layers will freeze, heat from the slab won't stop it.

Straw and a tarp is a cheap insulator and a lot of guys I know still do this. They sell insulating tarps too..under 50 bucks will get you one that will cover the slab.
                              I guess I neglected to say it should still be covered with insulated blankets being the best, common sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X