Durham NC Pompeii Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durham NC Pompeii Build

4. Soldier course set (with cardboard filler between floor and bricks for heat expansion room).
    5. Interior arch built.
    6. Two courses of bricks cut and mortared into place. I struggled a bit with these courses and a few of my joints line up with the joint below it. The mortar between the bricks is throwing me off and over the space of about 10 bricks, my carefully laid out joints are no longer spaced correctly.

Comment

Re: Durham NC Pompeii Build

I have added a few more courses of brick. I was able to get past the arch and now can do full rows without having to cut in for the arch. I ran out of brick (at the 210 brick mark) in the last photo. Also check out the hawk that was eyeing the WFO (he was about 15 feet away on the swing set).

Comment

I have finally finished the dome! I ended up using an exercise ball to do the last 3 rows. I am not as happy with the results of those last rows as the ball made it impossible to clean as I laid the courses. I put on a full mask and safety goggles this afternoon and sanded the excess mortar at the top smooth. I realize no one will be able to see the top of the dome while it is in operation but I wanted to make sure there weren't any loose bits of mortar.

Comment

I was able to get the arch built for the door reveal section as well as the vent work. I also figured out how to mount the chimney plate adapter though I need to finish bricking it into place. I still have not figured out what I am going to do for the facade on the entry arch. I have ordered a piece of granite for my entry floor which should be ready tomorrow. I have started the curing process with a halogen work lamp that I just put in the oven this morning.

Comment

I made great progress on my oven and have the final stucco coat on it. I need to finish my countertops and apply the final color/stain to the stucco. I still havent figured out what to use for the opening arch facade.
            Last edited by fremen325; 11-24-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I finally (after 2 years of just using my oven) put the last touches on it. I installed the final arch facade bricks a few months ago but didnt like the way the two column bricks (which were a full size brick cut in half) looked so I stucco'd over the column bricks. I finished coating the oven this morning during a slow part of the work day. Here are the latest pics!
              Last edited by fremen325; 10-03-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X