Starting a 30" Pompeii oven in Minneapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a 30" Pompeii oven in Minneapolis

I've been reading this forum for a couple years now. Planning a 30" igloo style Pompeii oven based on the Forno Bravo plans. Have found some great deals on craigslist for the chimney and insulation board this winter, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'll be posting progress as I go. Here is a picture of the site with the forms for the concrete slab. I'll be adding wire mesh and rebar this weekend before the pour.

6" class 5 substrate
    5" slab thickness
    the stand will be 44" wide, leaving room for finish material and apron
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Re: Starting a 30" Pompeii oven in Minneapolis

Here's a closer pic.

Question, is it absolutely necessary to put a plastic sheet down as a vapor barrier under the slab? I've read mixed opinions on this. I've never put plastic down under a slab. Is the concern for the curing process? I'll keep it plenty wet during the curing process. The gravel base is 3, 2" layers of class 5 that were each thoroughly compacted.
    George

See my build album here.

Comment

Here is the oblique drawing of the stand. Will have mesh/rebar inside.

Will plan to put down a vapor barrier. What could it hurt?
      Attached Files
      George

See my build album here.

Comment

Hey that is a nice looking patio. I think the reason for the vapor barrier is to help control the currying process. I did not put plastic under my base, but I did cover it with plastic after I pored it and left in place for a few days. Same with the oven support slab. I believe it helps to keep it from cracking.

Good luck with the stand it looks very interesting. Are you going to make it out of block or is it going to be formed and pored? I did a mix of the two block stand and cast arch. Turned out pretty good. Looks like you have a good plan in place. Good luck.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the complements on the patio. I've attached a pic of the rest of it. Put it in two years ago.

Your oven base looks great (not to mention your kitchen)! The arch really turned out well. I hope mine turns out as well. Glad to see that the hardboard worked as that was my plan, but your forming gave me some ideas on how to strengthen it. I'm planning to form and pour the entire base. I am going to add a few inches to the height based upon reading your thread. I've got it at 40" now...planning to do 42"-44". The recommendations on your thread for threaded rod was helpful too. Planning to do that now as well.

Are you aware of Smith-Sharpe Fire Brick Supply in NE Minneapolis? Med duty bricks at $2.30 each. They also have the insulation board and blanket. I was able to find the entire chimney assembly (6") for $40 and a 2" 4'x4' calcium silicate board for $40 on craigslist in March. I was very pleased with those two finds!
          George

See my build album here.

Comment

Got the slab poured today. A friend and my son helped...that's me in the yellow supervising
            George

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
              I was able to find the entire chimney assembly (6") for $40 and a 2" 4'x4' calcium silicate board for $40 on craigslist in March. I was very pleased with those two finds!
              6 inch is to small for a 40 inch oven you will want an 8 inch or larger.

You may want to swing by and see my 10 inch it breathes well but still occasional smoke out the front with the wrong wind.

No staining of the decorative arch but I can show you many reasons why bigger is better.
              Last edited by mrchipster; 05-09-2015, 06:32 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Hey chip I think he is doing a 30" oven. Not sure if that changes any thing on the chimney. That is a pretty good score on the calsil. I got mine from mcgills warehouse. It is interesting stuff.

Glad to see you got your slab pored. It feels good to have that done. Now each step forward it starts to look like something. I got my insulation and floor on today and now it looks like more than a concrete dog house. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Randy

Comment

I'm doing a 30" oven. The Forno Bravo plans specified 6" for 32"-36". I'd love to see your oven.
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

I got my interior stand form and rebar/mesh up this weekend. Need to add a bit more rebar/mesh on the front before adding the outer form, but hopefully will have the stand poured before this weekend.
                    Last edited by gastagg; 05-17-2015, 01:30 PM.
                    George

See my build album here.

Comment

Looks good. Excited to see your progress. I am in SWMN and after chatting with Chipster I am looking to start my build in a few weeks.

Comment

Hey it is looking good. How thick are you going to make the walls? Should be a good looking stand. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Randy

Comment

Some great forms beginning here. But, please use plenty of bracing and/or removable fill if you plan to use that thin masonite.

just sayin'
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm planning 5" walls, which will give me 2" or so on each side of the rebar/mesh. I plan to brace the bottoms of the forms all the way around with braces attached to my slab forms and use threaded rod to keep things tied together in the middle. Will probaly also add some bracing to the top that I'll have to trowel around.
                            George

See my build album here.

Comment

I have Randy to thank for the idea on how to form the arch.
                              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Working...
                              X