This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of 3 innovations

I have visited photobucket and uploaded 12 images of my oven under construction. The photos attempt to show 3 innovations that I have made during the construction of my 42" oven. The first is the hearth construction where I have a 4" layer of concrete in rebar on the bottom with 2.5" layer of vermicrete on top of the concrete, then a 57" diameter circle of concrete 2.5" thick on which the oven hearth bricks will sit surrounded by an insulating layer of vermicrete. Time will tell if it works. Another innovation is that of setting the correct angle on each course of bricks without the use of wedges. I found using wedges a very tedious chore so tried just laying down a trowel full of mortar on which to put the bricks. Initially I used the gadget seen in the "measuring angle" photo, but disbanded that idea after a while and just used my eye. The third innovation was to use the 34" ball within the oven as support. So far it has worked very well. After finishing a course I deflate the ball to the right size and lay the next course. The photos can be seen in my next posting. I put up only 4 images because the system couldn't handle 12 of them.
    Cheers,
    Davy
    Last edited by Davy; 04-09-2006, 09:13 AM. Reason: Link to photos doesn't work.

Comment

Images may need to be made public on PhotoBucket

Hi, Davy,

(M) I clicked on the URL you provided but when I got to PhotoBucket I was asked for your Password. Could it be that you didn't make PhotoBucket "public"?

(M) Your Photobucket URL, below, is followed by mine. There seems to be an indication that your URL may be a s secure site judging by the s74 which precedes the rest of that address. Note that mine has no s.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/abpo/

http://photobucket.com/albums/a318/marceld/

(M) I think that those settings for PhotoBucket may be stored under your "Profile" ??

(M) I look forward to seeing how you used the ball. It seems like a far better solution than the ballons I used. I found a source for a beach ball that offers even a larger ball than 34", but not a full 42".

Ciao,

Marcel
      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Oops

Sorry, it looks like I messed up again. I'll try one more time to get it right with the photobucket images later.
        Cheers,
        Davy

Comment

Maybe this time

Here's another attempt to post some images. Just 4 this time.
          Davy

Comment

WAY KOOL, Davy !

(M) Wow, Davy, that sure looks like you're havin' a BALL ! I think that's an important innovation but perhaps I should reserve judgement until the last course is laid and hear back from you if there were any unforseen problems.

(M) In your 2nd image it shows the angle iron supported bricks. That's where I had some trouble. My angle was far more off than yours. I'm not sure how to work around that; it seems to be unavoidable because the angle iron is straight and you're trying to navigate a needed curve. Not that it really matters since you'll likely be covering the igloo with Perlcrete &/or a "house". It will get more difficult, even with the ball since the gaps between bricks get larger. Take your time; you have all spring.

(M) Keep up the good work and congratulations. I'm impressed!

Ciao,

Marcel
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
            but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Masonry heater association oven

http://mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/wildac06b.htm

This is a fun photo journal of a weekend oven project.

They talk about an oven light - castable refractory frame with a ceramic glass window with electric light behind it.

Anyone got one of those in their oven?

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Oven light?

Originally posted by christo
                http://mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/wildac06b.htm

This is a fun photo journal of a weekend oven project.

They talk about an oven light - castable refractory frame with a ceramic glass window with electric light behind it.

Anyone got one of those in their oven?

Christo
                I'll say it is fun. Wow! lots of good pictures there. I love the shape of the oven and everything about it. That is really cool. Were you there Cristo? Does the light really go out when you shut the door?

Chad
                Renaissance Man
                Wholly Man

Comment

Argentine "horno de campo" oven

Although these ovens are called "mud ovens" in Argentina, many are made of fire brick and refractory mortar, like this one I built with a friend in Las Vegas. The entire process from breaking ground to our first pizza is documented photographically at: http://nervegna.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Brick Oven Photos

Hello Marcel!

I don't recall seeing an answer re sleeping soldiers - my supplier wants full flat tapered bricks to be used on their side for the first course...

I was considering putting down a course of 11 (in my case for the 39in dome) full UNtapered bricks for the first course, sitting straight on the SuperIsol. (I have thought up a kind of insulated 'well' filled with perlite cement mix to take the outward thrust of the dome...)

BTW, my supplier recommends a one-inch thick sheet of SuperIsol - anything thicker than that would be a waste of dough, they stated. Is that acceptable? Or should I put a bed of perlite/cement mix onder the SuperIsol as well?

Thanks in advance for any pointers on these subjects!

Rgds,

Carioca
                    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Good ideas in this series of pictures - and the construction shots also demonstrate what I meant when I said I prefer well-timed snaps to a YouTube video...:-)

Cheers,

Carioca
                      "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

I am new to this forum and I am very excited to see pic of brick ovens here before I make mine. have a great day to every body

Comment

Thanks for joining the group Del. There are great resources and a lot of very helpful people here to help.
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

/Users/david/Desktop/IMG_0102.JPG/Users/david/Desktop/IMG_0101.JPG
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

/Users/david/Desktop/IMG_0102.JPG/Users/david/Desktop/IMG_0101.JPG
                              This is my first oven It is about as small as I dared go 500 mm diam. Works really well though. It'll still be over 200 C at midnight. Has 2 1/2 inch walls and 3" fibreglass insulation.
                              David
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David,

Glad to see you made your oven, and that it's working well despite its smaller size. Is smaller really better?

Here's a link to a traditional Argentine oven I built with a friend in Las Vegas. Happy cooking!

Argentinean Campo Oven - A Masterpiece

Walt

Comment

Working...
                                X