Forno Tito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Needed

OK, so I probably should have made the block stand & hearth bigger, but the boss was not gona have it. I was wondering if I could still squeeeeeeeze a 42" in the space I have. The issue becomes space in the front - the landing zone. Right now a 42" oven (on center) gets me pretty close to the front apron. I could squeeze a couple of extra inches out by centering the oven a bit back (but then of course i lose some insullation on the sides. I will go with the smaller oven if needed of course, but my "Toolman Tim" side is grunting "BIGGER!!" at me.

The pictures are of a dry run 42" internal diameter.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Soldiers done

Well I was on call for July 4, and it was a thankfully quiet day. I had a chance to do some brickwork. I have now completed the soldier course. I decided ultimately to slightly decrease oven size to a shade above 40" - I will also do an extended apron after the dome and vent are complete (inspired by Balty's fine work).

Two shots of the cooking floor:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	floor1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	267290

Name:	floor2.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	267291

Soldier course finished - starting to work on the oven opening. I am going simple here - squared off with the angle iron on top. I'll do an arch opening on the facade.

Name:	soldiers.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	267293

Finally, I did some work on making my styrofoam forms. I struggled with how to cut the board without making a complete mess and discovered that the old cheap Ginzu steak knife worked best! The glass of wine is optional.

Name:	form.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	267292
      Last edited by JoeT62; 07-06-2007, 08:18 PM. Reason: formatting
      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Re: Forno Tito

Great looking pattern on the floor. I tried and tried and couldn't figure it out and then my wife rode in to the rescue and layed out the nice herringbone pattern like you have. Your stand is also a nice touch. Looking forward to more pictures.

Mike
        Mike
        "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Dome progress

Made a bit of progress today - actually got halfway through the 4th course when the rains came. I'll definitely need that 3rd bag of Heat Stop (I bought two) - I'm already a third of the way through the second bag. Contrary to some folk's experience I've heard, this stuff is lump free and in my limited mortar experience, works well.

Name:	2ndcourse.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	267308 Second course

Name:	3rdcourse.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	267307 Third course

Name:	3rdcourse2.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	267309 Closeup of floor and three courses.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Looks great Joe! Are you going without a form?

S

Comment

Originally posted by swripley View Post
              Looks great Joe! Are you going without a form?

S
              Well....so far!

I've got some styrofoam cut up and for these first courses found it easier to use a 1/4 circle piece of it as a guide that I swung around as I worked. I plan on constructing the full form soon (halfway through the 4th course, but I think the 5th will be tempting gravity a bit too much).

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I used a full brick for my soldier course. Through 6 courses I was thinking I didn't really need the form. By the time I hit 7 I was greatful to have it. I can see how you could go without one entirely, but you would have to work a lot faster than I do.

S

Comment

Fourth course

I got the fourth course done last night and cleaned up some of the mortar drips this morning. So far, so good!

Name:	4thcourse1.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	267311

Name:	4thcourse2.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	267312

Name:	4thfloor-and-wall.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	267313

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Looking good, nice work. Watch your head joints (vertical joints) though I see a lot of them lining up with each other. The joints are the weakest link in masonry, having them line up is like an on open door for the crack monster who will eventually visit the oven. If you keep them staggered its much stronger. I'm not saying tear it down but keep this in mind as you continue.

I don't know how much the cladding helps "hold" things together Id be interested in those that have built the oven and didn't stager the joints (in places) how its holding up. Please comment if you can.

Listen, I'm a pro and I know its hard to remember all the "rules" and lay the darn bricks Hey this is oven dome build is a difficult project for a first time mason and it has its own set of complex issues. So anyone reading this please don't take offense. I have said it before and will again the ovens you guys have built on this site are very impressive and the work very nice . Its no lie, there are a lot of guys out here doing masonry for a living who's work is...lets put it this way you wouldn't want it in your backyard. Ill post some pics..I just don't know where would be the appropriate area? Ill figure it out it will be a major ego boost for those doubting your skills...

Here is a pic of the side of a community mailbox for a gated neighborhood in my town..thats a 4' level and they were are out of plumb almost an 1" with 2' to go
                    http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I think it is looking great. I cut some bricks down to avoid those vertical joints as I went around. I think that is good advice from Uno.

Uno, It is nice to have a professional on the forum. Thanks for your contributions...

Drake
                      My Oven Thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
                        So anyone reading this please don't take offense.
                        Uno -

No offense taken at all. I appreciate any and all advice. I too noticed the dreaded "line-ups" when I went to do some clean up this morning, and resolved to be more careful with the alignment. Please keep the advice coming!

Joe

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

You might try doing a dry course run before you add the mortar. This way you can see how the ring will look once it is cemented in. Quite a few of the builders have used keystones to help in offsetting the courses. That means that each ring may have one or two bricks that have been shaved. If you don't want your keystone to be seen (as it will be smaller than allt he others you can out it close to the opening.

Comment

looking good...thanks for posting.
                            Steve Kennemer
                            Austin, TX

Comment

More Progress

Made a bit more progress this weekend. I put down the 5th & 6th courses and worked on the entry arch. I was originally going to go with angle iron, but ambition (and the fine work of others on this forum) inspired me to go for the arch. My current struggle (and an all too familiar one it seems) is getting the arch tied into the dome. I see my way, but it will be a lot of cuts!

Name:	DSC00683.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	267346

Name:	DSC00685.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	267347

Name:	DSC00687.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	267348

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Courses 7 & 8

Been busy at work, so I have not made as much progress as i would like. I've been able to get courses 7 & 8 up. Picked up my fourth bag of Heat Stop today, but further brickwork must wait - I'm going on a dive trip tomorrow!

Anyway, the top of the dome (I'm measuring 4 more courses) is now in sight.

Name:	DSC00694_1.JPG
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	267356

Name:	DSC00698.JPG
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	267357 hopefully better at staggering those head joints (harder to do than it seems with tapers)

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Working...
                                X