Forno Tito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forno Tito

Been a while since I posted, but I have been (slowly) getting work done on the oven. I have actually finished the dome itself (not pretty, but it feels stable as a rock), and I got a set of FB pizza peels from my wife for my birthday. Soon I hope to graduate from "digital camera pizza" to the real thing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00712.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	267504 I have also started the front landing. I am planning on a second arch attached to the oven opening with a 3/4" reveal for a door. The vent will be built into the arch by cutting the middle bricks. I've yet to decide between masonry chimney and duratech. Masonry is cheaper, but the duratech would certainly be less of a weight load on my arch...
    Either way, I am figuring about 24" of chimney - sound right?

Name:	DSC00716.JPG
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	267505 As you can see, the top of my dome ain't exactly pretty. I had a hard time cleaning drips with the styrofoam boards in place. I was working on making it pretty when my wife pointed out that nobody but me will care, and she wants pizza! So it will remain "rustic."

Name:	DSC00720.JPG
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	267506 My new peel! My wife bought me both the round peel as well as the rectangular one. I highly recommend these items, and can't wait till I put them to good use.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

excellent...i cant wait to see how you finish out the landing and the chimney. Again, thanks for posting the progress!
      Steve Kennemer
      Austin, TX

Comment

Looks good. The dome will perform well. I would use duratech for convenience and to mitigate concerns about weight on your arch. With your corner installation you have less room to buttress the sides of the vent area to provide support for the arch. If you are set on a masonry chimney you could span angle iron across the vent above the arches to distribute the weight more directly on the pad below. A 24" chimney should function fine.

I like the digital pizza self portrait!

Comment

Got the Duratech today, and finished the opening arch. The vent is a space I fashioned between the two arches by cutting the middle 5 bricks of the arch roughly in half on an angle. It measures about 5" by 12" - pictures too follow (it got too dark).

After this, it will be time to start on the enclosure. My vermiculite is paradoxically hard but crumbly so I am thinking of cutting it away down to the concrete along the edges so the studs will have something solid to anchor into.

Now I really have to start thinking about that roof. I was thinking slanted shed style, but my wife wants the traditional peak. I am not looking forward to fashioning that on a corner install.
          "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I thought the same thing about my perlcrete, until I thought about how much fun that was going to be. Then I remembered I had some 5" concrete anchors left over from the deck. Plenty long enough to go thru the perlcrete and into the slab and the perlcrete is plenty hard enough in compression.

Yeah, the tradition roof looks like it will be a bear. What about a 5 sided hip roof?
            Last edited by wlively; 08-26-2007, 06:45 AM. Reason: typo
            Wade Lively

Comment

First Fire!

I think these pics are like the ones we show of our babies. Only those who have one truly appreciate the beauty.

Name:	DSC00732.JPG
Size:	807.5 KB
ID:	267535 Upper vent opening

Name:	DSC00730.JPG
Size:	561.1 KB
ID:	267538 Inside vent opening. No that is not the chimney for the oven! That's the VERY VERY long Duratech we used for the basement wood stove. I really should own stock in that company.

Name:	DSC00736.JPG
Size:	869.8 KB
ID:	267536 Outer arch reveals the..uh...reveal

Name:	DSC00741.JPG
Size:	864.0 KB
ID:	267537 FIRE!!!!

I would say about 10-20% of the smoke came out the front, but that is without a chimney and in a never before fired oven. I think it will be OK.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Awwww its a cutie...oh and its breathing fire already? you must be sooo proud, before you no it he will be smokin...what can you do you gotta let em grow up...
                Just bustin you chops. It looks great.

Did your building department give you crap about the chimney for the wood stove being so many feet higher than ________ (fill in what ever is up their butt this month) Its amazing how all the chimneys built from 10 years back to the first building in (any-town USA) managed to function or not catch the house on fire.
                http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Re: First Fire!

Originally posted by JoeT62 View Post
                  I think these pics are like the ones we show of our babies. Only those who have one truly appreciate the beauty.

[ATTACH]3334[/ATTACH] Upper vent opening
                  Joe,

Your oven looks great! I noticed in the Upper Vent Opening picture there is a small gap between the reveal arch and vent arch that you bridged with some splits. Is this by design? If so, why?

Thanks!
                  Ken
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                    Joe,

Your oven looks great! I noticed in the Upper Vent Opening picture there is a small gap between the reveal arch and vent arch that you bridged with some splits. Is this by design? If so, why?

Thanks!
                    Ken
                    Sort of. I wanted the upper arch to "stick out" slightly from the columns. Just an aesthetic thing. It leaves a small channel that I am hoping will be like little smoke catchers and funnel it into the vent.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
                      Awwww its a cutie...oh and its breathing fire already? you must be sooo proud, before you no it he will be smokin...what can you do you gotta let em grow up...
                      Just bustin you chops. It looks great.

Did your building department give you crap about the chimney for the wood stove being so many feet higher than ________ (fill in what ever is up their butt this month) Its amazing how all the chimneys built from 10 years back to the first building in (any-town USA) managed to function or not catch the house on fire.
                      Thanks for the kind words, Uno.

My chimney is far enough (barely) away from the house so I didn't have to go above the roofline. I too think it's a little silly since they don't regulate those chimnea things which people put right on their deck!

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT62 View Post
                        Sort of. I wanted the upper arch to "stick out" slightly from the columns. Just an aesthetic thing. It leaves a small channel that I am hoping will be like little smoke catchers and funnel it into the vent.
                        Excellent idea. Again, it looks great. Thanks!

Ken
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Second Fire

Started a second fire in the oven this morning, and will do another tonight. I am using the "Ernie Banks" method of oven curing (lets play two!)

Until my insulation arrives, I'll keep them down to a dull roar. Although the top of the dome did get warm on the outside this morning. I could still hold my hand on it, but the heat from the fire was definitely coming through!

Name:	DSC00748.JPG
Size:	822.6 KB
ID:	267542

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Forno Tito Disaster!!!

OK, maybe not quite a disaster, but a bit of a setback.

On Thursday morning, I went outside to check on the oven and wipe some soot off the face of the front arch that had gotten there from the fires. When I wiped I noticed that the entire center of the arch moved (the middle 5 bricks). Bummer!!!!

I toyed with simply re-mortaring them in as one piece, but decided to take them apart and rebuild it. When I chiseled my mortar off I noted that the centers of the mortar "pancakes" were still dark from moisture - not nearly fully cured. Lesson learned: let ALL the mortar (not just the dome) set up for a good week before firing up.

In addition, I thought I cheated on the mortar joints a bit and left them too wide, so perhaps there was too much shear stress on them? In any case, I decided to change the arch a bit and create more of a keystone in the middle by turning a brick on it's flat side and tapering the edges. Now the arch is as tight as the oven entry arch and (I hope) much more stable.

Name:	DSC00766.JPG
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	267591 The culprit. Too much, too soon.

Name:	DSC00774.JPG
Size:	855.0 KB
ID:	267592 The soot in the low vent is quite visible here.

Name:	DSC00776.JPG
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	267593 You can see the middle of the mortar is still dark.

Name:	DSC00777.JPG
Size:	855.1 KB
ID:	267594 The new arch! I think I actually like the look of this quite a bit better than the old one, so I will call this crisis an opportunity!

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

looking good!

Note to self.... be patient.........

It must be hard!
                              My thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                              My costs:
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                              My pics:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Looks great, Joe. I give you so much credit for doing that yourself. I hope I have the courage to do it someday.
                                Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Working...
                                X