Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Dang bosses....

Would make me think twice about inviting them over for pizza.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Fri, Sat, Sun progress:

Started by first mortaring the sides of the entry arch and a soldier brick on each side. Then started slapping soldiers into place.

The only thing I'm doing differently (at least I haven't read it anywhere) is that I'm placing a thin strip of flattened corrugated cardboard cut from a box between the soldier course and the edge of the floor bricks. This is so I get a nice clean gap for thermal expansion.

My first attempt with the cardboard strip was wide enough to stick out so it could be removed (it can be seen in the interior pictures). I soon discovered it got in the way of my trowel and sponge. My strips are now narrow enough that they can't be seen or removed. Once the oven floor goes above 500F the first time, the strips will burn away (So that's why the pizza tastes like cardboard!).

Although my soldiers were all trimmed for a fairly snug fit, I got in a hurry yesterday and set two of them twisted slightly out of alignment. I discovered it too late and had to compensate with a couple of fat, ugly joints (overhead picture, 3 o'clock position). Oh well. When it's all done, I'll be the only one that knows. Message to self: "Slow down, have fun... slow down, have fun."
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Looking awesome Ken!!

How bout some dimensions on your opening.

What are you most worried about now?
        I think I'm most worried about the dome to entry arch transition. Take lots of pics when you get there! Help a fellow out!~

Keep up the good work.

and take your time!
        enjoy!

cuz i have a feeling we will both miss looking forward to building our oven.
        My thread:
        My costs:
        My pics:

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
          Looking awesome Ken!!
          How bout some dimensions on your opening.
          Thanks!
          The door jam is 19"w X 12"h, the opening will be 20"w X 12.5"h. No magic to these numbers. I found them here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Meta...r-p-16240.html

I'm not using the FB door, but I figured the size should be right.

What are you most worried about now?
          I think I'm most worried about the dome to entry arch transition. Take lots of pics when you get there!
          Actually, I'm most worried about keeping this darn Kaowool insulation board dry. It's a pain. Even slightly damp and it gets a lot mushier than I'm comfortable with. If I had it to do over, I would build an island of vermiculite concrete (and save $250). Every day I have to throw a tarp over the whole project in case of rain.

I have the transition worked out in my head. I'm just going to do it one course at a time and make it happen.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
            <snip> I'm most worried about keeping this darn Kaowool insulation board dry. It's a pain. Even slightly damp and it gets a lot mushier than I'm comfortable with. <snip>
            This is an interesting comment about the insulation board.

James and I found the SuperIsol board about the same time - I ordered my about a week before he offered it at the FB Store. A side comment is that I spent a couple of dollars more once freight was factored in to the equation than I would have if I had bought from FB.

Anyway, the SuperIsol board, when damp or wet from normal WFO construction, does not seem to get soft.

When I set the floor and attempted to mortar it in place, the SuperIsol board sucked up so much moisture from the mix that is was impossible to continue. Ultimately I figured that teh weight would keep it in place and set it dry.

J W

Comment

Thanks!

Actually, I'm most worried about keeping this darn Kaowool insulation board dry. It's a pain. Even slightly damp and it gets a lot mushier than I'm comfortable with.
              I have the same problem. I have bricks over my boards and when the dewpoint hits in the morning everything gets covered in moisture. Thats fine when the day gets back up to 90F but the boards that are covered in brick don't really get to see that heat, and so they stay moist. Well I was standing on the oven floor yesterday and the bricks would sink slightly into the board! This didn't happen when they were dry. So now of course I'm worried.
              Oven Progress
              Bread Photos
              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
                I have the same problem. I have bricks over my boards and when the dewpoint hits in the morning everything gets covered in moisture. Thats fine when the day gets back up to 90F but the boards that are covered in brick don't really get to see that heat, and so they stay moist.
                What kind of boards are you using? About two hours after finishing my soldier course today the sun dried everything out and the boards were again very rigid and sturdy.

I think that once the oven is finished out and protected from the elements, it won't be an issue. Any moisture that makes it's way into the floor from humidity will be driven off when the oven is fired. Once the dome is in place, we won't have anything heavier than an iron skillet or two on the bricks. Should be fine. Seems to be working for others!
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Comment

I'm placing a thin strip of flattened corrugated cardboard cut from a box between the soldier course and the edge of the floor bricks. This is so I get a nice clean gap for thermal expansion.
                  I used a 2? x 4? strip of vinyl from our old kitchen floor to achieve a clean gap - it worked a treat, but fortunately I was able to remove it and proceed to the next lot of perimeter bricks (I didn't lay a soldier course, and my perimeter bricks were level with the floor). A cardboard flavour is one thing ....

Rather than just let the gap fill up with ash (or more likely mortar from subsequent courses!), I filled it with dry firebrick dust from my brick cuts. Hopefully this will permit a little movement if it stays dry.

... when the dewpoint hits in the morning everything gets covered in moisture.
                  I had the same problem before my floor went down - the Cal Sil sheets were covered with plastic sheet, but I overlooked the condensation factor. Result - the insulation sheets had a big moist patch in the middle of the floor area which was particularly difficult to dry (with a fan heater). To overcome this, I?ve since elected for a double layer approach - see pic. The tarp also lets me work on the dome in inclement weather.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                    A cardboard flavour is one thing ....
                    Once the floor hits 700-800F I don't think cardboard flavour will be an issue
                    Anyway, I grew up with Italian delivery pizza in Philadelphia. The cardboard taste will bring back memories!

Rather than just let the gap fill up with ash (or more likely mortar from subsequent courses!), I filled it with dry firebrick dust from my brick cuts. Hopefully this will permit a little movement if it stays dry.
                    I've thought about doing this very thing. But my cardboard in the crack should keep out unwanted mortar.

To overcome this, I?ve since elected for a double layer approach - see pic. The tarp also lets me work on the dome in inclement weather.
                    I've seen several people with tarps. I might go to WalMart and get an inexpensive one. Seems like a good idea.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

What kind of boards are you using? About two hours after finishing my soldier course today the sun dried everything out and the boards were again very rigid and sturdy.

I think that once the oven is finished out and protected from the elements, it won't be an issue. Any moisture that makes it's way into the floor from humidity will be driven off when the oven is fired. Once the dome is in place, we won't have anything heavier than an iron skillet or two on the bricks. Should be fine. Seems to be working for others!
                      Aluminum Silicate boards. Yes after drying they are back to their original strength. I can put a brick on a board and stand on it w/o any deformation at all. I just have to be able to keep concentrated weight off of it while damp.
                      Oven Progress
                      Bread Photos
                      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post

I had the same problem before my floor went down - the Cal Sil sheets were covered with plastic sheet, but I overlooked the condensation factor. Result - the insulation sheets had a big moist patch in the middle of the floor area which was particularly difficult to dry (with a fan heater). To overcome this, I?ve since elected for a double layer approach - see pic. The tarp also lets me work on the dome in inclement weather.

Cheers, Paul.
                        Good idea! The double tarp will also help me in the days to come since rain is likely to return.
                        Oven Progress
                        Bread Photos
                        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

2nd course of dome bricks cut and mortared. My angle cuts aren't quite as accurate as I would have liked. I didn't get the micron-sized joints some of the pros here are getting, but I still used a fraction of the mortar that would be required if I didn't cut. So that's a good thing, right?

Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Comment

Its hard to tell in the pic (kinda small on my monitor), but are your bricks tapered on all four sides?
                            Oven Progress
                            Bread Photos
                            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

You bringing sexy back!

Looking good.

Excellent work.

I hope i can do as well!
                              My thread:
                              My costs:
                              My pics:

Comment

Its hard to tell in the pic (kinda small on my monitor), but are your bricks tapered on all four sides?
                                My soldiers were tapered slightly (no calculation, I just cut a shallow angle on them).

The second course required 28.5 half bricks. I tapered the bottom and sides. The top, exterior and interior sides are untouched. The bottoms of the second course bricks are tapered so the interior side is closely aligned to my curved foam dome gauge (not shown in picture).

I'm pretty happy with the results... I'm giving the second course a grade of "B". I'm shooting for at least a B+ on the 3rd course
                                Last edited by Ken524; 09-20-2007, 05:59 PM.
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                                X