Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
    I've been thinking of going to thirds, but am concerned about straight joints. You don't seem to have had a problem - just the odd cut brick? Or was it not quite that simple?
    Paul, the row of thirds worked out very well. I only had to make 2 or 3 custom cut bricks to keep the joints from lining up. The lighter weight bricks made laying them easier.

Your dome is looking grand!
    Thanks!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Very nice looking dome their Ken. Im sure you will cook some great meals in it
      Regards
      Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
        Has anyone else noticed that most of the current domes are being built without forms? Les, Dave, Wayne, KC, Sarah, Frances, Paul and a few others are all building form free.
        Ken,

Ill be going no forms as far as I can based on what Dave mentioned. I want to be able to get to the inside of the oven to clean and mash in the mortar if I have to.

BTW, your oven is immaculate. Mine looks like a pigpen compared to yours!

Thanks for posting.
        Steve Kennemer
        Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          I want to be able to get to the inside of the oven to clean and mash in the mortar if I have to.
          That's the biggest benefit I see with going no forms. You can see right away if your mortar work is ok on the inside. When I pulled the form off my arch, I had a lot of touch up work to do!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Wow! It looks more impressive with each course. And stiil no forms? The inside is so clean and neat. Are you sponging them?
            Dusty

Comment

Totally agree with you guys on forms free. That is the exact reason for me going that path. You feel free.....
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ken, it's looking fantastic (as from the start) How are you supporting the 10th course without forms? Is the mortar allowing you to set them that easily? I know you went to thirds and my plans have me cutting brick less than one inch on the interior dimension. I may re-think my approach when I get to the 8th because gravity is already jerking my chains

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Ken, I believe you mentioned sticks for supporting at times? Les, this might be the way to go. You and Ken likely have the cleanest looking ovens, not to say others aren't great, these are CLEAN and AMAZING.
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                    The inside is so clean and neat. Are you sponging them?
                    Yes. I let the mortar set for about an hour then go back with a sponge and bucket of water to clean things up.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                      How are you supporting the 10th course without forms? Is the mortar allowing you to set them that easily?
                      The 10th was pretty easy. The mortar was just sticky enough to keep them in place. I would place the brick, tap out the excess mortar and hold it in place for a couple of minutes.

The 11th course is being a bit trickier. I laid about 5 bricks Sunday. Had to continuously tap and hold them in place for 10 to 15 minutes before I could let go of them. After they "grabbed", I took a lunch break to let them set a bit before continuing.

My employer then rudely interrupted my lunch and I've been out of town since. It's probably for the best that the first 5 will be thoroughly set before I continue on Thurs.

I may re-think my approach when I get to the 8th because gravity is already jerking my chains
                      Yeah, gravity sucks. My 10 year old daughter was helping me hold the bricks in place the other day. We were joking that the perfect place to build a dome would be in orbit on the shuttle. Maybe Forno Bravo should look into that!
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

I just have to post a really unconstructive comment here: the mortar I ended up with was soooo sticky, I just slapped the brick in place and it stayed there... it was really really cool to work with.

I'm thinking I would have had to support the upper rows if I'd been using the same mortar you all are using.
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

12th Course.

This was challenging. I had to hold the bricks for several minutes to keep them from sliding.
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Comment

13th Course. Gravity finally insists that I support from below!

I used a big bouncy ball I found in the garage. Works great. It's a tad under inflated which works out very nicely since it's a much smaller diameter than the dome.

Barring unforeseen interruptions, I'll have a completed dome tomorrow!
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Just awesome Ken.

Very beautiful work !

Must be the pilot in ya!

Great Job, it is really neat to look at!
                              My thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                              My costs:
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                              My pics:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Ken, it looks great!

I've been wondering about continuing without a form and will probably switch to some sort of support too, after my next row.

Must feel good to be that close to being done!

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X