Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    I seem to remember you leaving a gap between the floor and the soldiers. I am there now. What was that all about?
    Dusty,

Apparently, if you put the soldiers tight against the floor, the floor can (or will) expand when heated and push out your soldier course causing dome cracks. The plans recommend leaving a small gap between the floor and soldier course to allow for the expansion. The gap will fill with ash which has some compressibility.

I cut some corrugated cardboard strips from an old box and used them as spacers between the floor and first course. Some of the strips I pulled out, some are stuck in there. They will burn away during curing. The cardboard also will keep stray mortar from falling and dripping into your gap.

Here's a pic:

Click this link to see the full size pic

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ken524; 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken, I totally forgot that detail. Thanks. I have this noted for my self as well.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Yep! That helps alot. I waited to set the soldiers because I sorta remembered you talking about that cardboard. I don't recall reading it in the plans, but I read them a while ago. I suppose I need to refresh. Thanks Ken. I think I'm done for today, but when I resume, I will set the soldiers with a piece of cardboard spacer.

dusty

Comment

And I forgot to mention. Now that I have started, and have begun to realize the magnatude of each small detail, I appriciate your finished dome even more...FIVE times as much!

dusty

Comment

And I forgot to mention. Now that I have started, and have begun to realize the magnatude of each small detail, I appriciate your finished dome even more...FIVE times as much!

dusty
            Ditto on that one Dusty.

He made it look easy.
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Hey Dusty, don't let the magnitude of each small detail get you bogged down. As long as the bricks resemble a crude dome, it's going to cook pizza!

I seem to enjoy over-complicating things to make them more challenging (James has even blown the whistle on one of my ideas ). The downside to this sickness is that there are others here enjoying pizza tonight while I'm still scheming up a design for my vent transition.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

Yep. See, I have gaps all over the place round the hearth.... it happened all by itself because I could only cut streight lines with my anglegrinder and even then it was all pretty aproximate.

But then, after cooking pizza, I come here and admire Ken's dome.
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Vent to chimney anchor transition. First of two courses.

Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

Actually, I'm enjoing the the challenge now that I finally get to start the dome. My project is an outdoor kitchen and there were many steps to finish before I could begin...They're done! I've been looking forward (and working towards) the oven part of the project for a month.
                    I appreciate your attention to detail. I figure that that oven is going to be around for a long time. I want to be done, but when I am, I don't want to be wishing that I would have done this or that.
                    Ken, another question. When you cut two bricks and there is no space between them for mortar- like you so often did- how did you "glue" them together? Is there a small bit of mortar in there? Ref-mix? Heat stop?

Thanks,
                    dusty
                    Here's a photo of my finished floor.

Comment

...I don't want to be wishing that I would have done this or that.
                      I feel the same way. I'm not in a big hurry to get it fired up. I really enjoy engineering and design. I'll probably start preliminary work on my enclosure before starting a fire, just to make sure the mortar has adequately cured in the dome and vent.

When you cut two bricks and there is no space between them for mortar- like you so often did- how did you "glue" them together? Is there a small bit of mortar in there? Ref-mix? Heat stop?
                      I used HeatStop50 (dry) for everything. All joints are mortared. After buttering a brick, I place it into position and tap it until the excess mortar oozes out. Sometimes I ended up with a great joint, sometimes I needed extra mortar to fill the gaps. I ended up with a big flat spot on the handle of my father-in-law's mortar trowel from all the tapping . I think I owe him a new one!

I was surprised at how smooth the HeatStop is. It really is like creamy peanut butter. You won't have any problem getting tight (or fat) joints with it (and Refmix is supposed to be even better).

Here's a photo of my finished floor.
                      It's looking super. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Keep up the great work!
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

I used HeatStop50 (dry) for everything. All joints are mortared.
                        I though you had left both your floor and the space between your floor and your soldier course without mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
                          I though you had left both your floor and the space between your floor and your soldier course without mortar.
                          You are correct... sorry for the confusion! I should have specified the dome and arches.
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Comment

Thanks Ken. I ordered two bags of refmix yesterday from FB and it is sitting on my porch already today! I'm hoping that if I make most of the joints narrow enough that two bags may be enough mortar. I'll find out soon enough as I am anxious to get started.

dusty

Comment

After a spell of cold weather, rain, and work I was finally able to finish my chimney transition today... And that also completes the oven!

Next task is to start assembling insulation, studs, and enclosure materials. Tomorrow I head out to the sheet metal roofing places and look at roofing material.

I'm going to give the vent a good week or two to cure before starting to play with fire.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post

I'm going to give the vent a good week or two to cure before starting to play with fire.
                                You have much more patience than me Ken! I didn't wait long enough.. But (and James would agree) cracks add character!

I was wondering what you have been up to, and now I see.

The vent looks great!

A question for you though:
                                What size is the opening on the transition?
                                I need to go bigger.....
                                But I am just not sure how!

I will be anxiously waiting for fire pictures.
                                Last edited by asudavew; 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM.
                                My thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                                My costs:
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                                My pics:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                                X