Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    ...so, when exactly do you plan on getting that far?
    Frances, Looks like it will be spring before the stone & stucco. I'm going to try to get the framing, cement board and roof done before the end of December.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
      I'm reviewing your chimney anchor attachment. Did you mortar it in place or use a high temp caulking material?
      George,

I put down 1/2" of mortar and squished the anchor down on it to get a good seal. Then I heaped up some mortar on the corners and made sure it oozed over the sides to bond with the mortar oozing out the edges. With the weight of the chimney pushing down, I don't think it'll go anywhere.

Also, You're using an 8 inch chimney, correct? What is the dimensions of the square anchor plate?
      12"x12" for the Duratech 8" plate.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Comment

I love the photoshop drawing of your housing.

I am sure the final product will look even nicer.
        You can sure see the whole picture. Great vision.
        That's hard for me to do sometimes.

Have you started your curing fires yet?
        My thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
        My costs:
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
        My pics:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
          Have you started your curing fires yet?
          Nope. We went out of town for the long holiday weekend. I had planned on curing and building the enclosure this week, but as luck would have it... Rain

This is also the busy season at work. It's going to be a busy month. I'll try to squeeze in oven work when I can.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,
            thanks for your help with the vent placement.
            The reason I'm sweating it a bit is that Julian/Gentcpa recently had difficulties with expansion of the anchorplate causing cracking of his arch.
            Did you see those posts?
            G.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

The reason I'm sweating it a bit is that Julian/Gentcpa recently had difficulties with expansion of the anchorplate causing cracking of his arch.
              Did you see those posts?
              Yes, I've been following those closely. If I understand the problem correctly, if you have a hair more than 8"x8" on the interior dimensions, that will give the 8" pipe some breathing room. If the pipe is snug inside your transition, you might have problems. I hit a few spots on my interior with the angle grinder to assure the pipe can expand a bit. I hope that works.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

Thanks (again) Ken,
                I think I understand what you're getting at. I thought the pipe mounted outside the plate and just sat on top. From what you've indicated, the pipe goes inside the anchor plate. Is that the case?
                I'm just getting ready to order chimney supplies. I think I need to hold them in my hands to really get a feeling for the problem.
                George
                GJBingham

-

Comment

George,

I wish I had taken a picture of the anchor before I installed it. I threw together a 4-minute CAD drawing of it. It's a bit rough but I think you'll get the idea.

The plate has a threaded, insulated section on the upper side that accepts the chimney pipe. Underneath the plate, the thin, 8"diam inner wall protrudes about 1-2". This is the area that expanded on Julian and he was snipping.

If you have a bit of clearance around the lower ring, you should be ok (if I understand Julian's problem correctly!).
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,
                    You're awesome! That cover's it entirely!

You'd never guess this setup from the stock photos on the internet. I think I can deal with that. I've burned out the abrasive disk on my neighbor's grinder. I'll get another an make that sucker fit!

George
                    GJBingham

-

Comment

I'll make that sucker fit!
                      Ahh, the bigger hammer method! Been there. Not always as a last resort either.

dusty

Comment

Finally some time for oven work! First fire went well. I used Monday's newspaper. It didn't generate much heat so I threw in some cardboard from my insulation board box. That got things going a bit. I was really pleased that the vent took most of the smoke! Only a little bit came out of the front right after lighting. After that, everything went right into the vent and out the anchor.

Everything thing cooled down very quickly. I didn't want to waste a week of good weather staring at curing fires so I decided to go ahead with the insulation and start working on the enclosure. (Keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any cracks needing repair!)

I used two boxes of 1 inch, 6# Kaowool blanket (100 sqft total). Everything has 2 layers (2 inches) minimum. Some areas have 3 or 4 layers due to overlap. I threw all the leftover blanket on the top so it has a solid 3-4" of blanket.

This stuff is thick and heavy. I can't imagine any heat leaking out. I'll fill the enclosure with loose perlite. I found a local supplier with 4cuft bags for $16 each.

I think I'll start a new thread for my enclosure pictures.
                        Last edited by Ken524; 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM. Reason: Content
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

I used two boxes of 1 inch, 6# Kaowool blanket (100 sqft total). Everything has 2 layers (2 inches) minimum. Some areas have 3 or 4 layers due to overlap. I threw all the leftover blanket on the top so it has a solid 3-4" of blanket.

Where did you buy the Kaowool blanket? Did you buy it from our host FB?

thanks,
                          fb66

Comment

Originally posted by fullback66
                            Where did you buy the Kaowool blanket? Did you buy it from our host FB?
                            Fullback,

I bought the Kaowool blankets at a local refractory supply, Louisville Firebrick. They were $70/box (I'm buying a bunch of other stuff from Forno Bravo, so I think James will forgive me ).

Ken
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken, before going with the loose vermic. get some Matrilite 18 and coat a couple inches over the blanket. Then go w/ loose vermic.
                              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Acoma,
                                What is Matrilite 18?
                                Where do you buy it?
                                fb66

Ken524-Thanks for the info. on the blanket.
                                fb66

Comment

Working...
                                X