Italian, Australian Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian, Australian Oven

Finally my dad bit the bullet and we are underway.

Here is the base we made out of left over bricks.
    click on the pics to enlarge

Here is the slab we poured which is from normal concrete (we were advised from Field Furnace's in Wetherill Park as Andrew and Joe are very experienced in building wood fired ovens).

The concrete dry with now some I.F.B Insulation Fire Bricks to hold the heat.

Regards
    Adrian

Re: Italian, Australian Oven

My dad just putting up the arch in place so he knows where to build (my father is a hands on person and likes to build it by feel).

Now the Fire Tiles are on (which is the cooking base, also know as refactory tiles). These are actually from an Italian Bakery so he didnt have to buy them (they arnt cheap).

Both the Insulation Bricks and Refactory Tiles have been packed tight but the tiles do have some slight gaps so we will seal those with some fire mortar plus when we cure it the ash will cover up any other holes.

In this pic we have started the dome using dry pressed bricks (about 75c a brick if you know the brick yard). Using the fire mortar we are packing them very close to keep it nice and tight. You will noticed the gaps behind the bricks but we are going to fill those up with fire mortar when the dome is complete.

Regards
    Adrian

Comment

Here are some pics of the 2nd course and making sure its nice and smooth but more importantly packed tight.

Thats it for now but hopefully by this weekend we should have the dome complete.
      Last edited by Ageo308; 10-15-2007, 11:21 PM.
      Regards
      Adrian

Comment

The 3rd course almost done but here are some pics of the inside a bit cleaner and smoother.

Tomorrow we should finish the dome.
        Regards
        Adrian

Comment

Ok here is the update for today.

My dad on a role getting the dome built.

Then our family friends come in and decide the oven is too far back and want to make it bigger (so my dad agrees) and off goes some bricks to adjust the oven.

My dad back on a role.

Regards
          Adrian

Comment

The inside of the dome and a view of it almost complete.

Just to note we had a guy come past that builds them professionally recommending to my dad that dry pressed bricks are good but the fire rated bricks are better (almost $2.50 per brick more thow) but my dad being a hard headed italian hes happy with these. When we build my oven im using the fire rated bricks.
            Regards
            Adrian

Comment

Adrian,

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying watching you and your hard headed Dad make great progress. Way to go.

What's the difference between a dry pressed brick and a fired clay brick (as you would find here in the states at Home Depot or a brickyard)?

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                Adrian,

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying watching you and your hard headed Dad make great progress. Way to go.

What's the difference between a dry pressed brick and a fired clay brick (as you would find here in the states at Home Depot or a brickyard)?

James

hehe a dry pressed brick will do the job but the fire clay brick (or fire rated brick) is more tightly pressed and is used for high temperature applications. My dads mates that came over have built 3 ovens using the normal dry pressed bricks but if your gonna do it right you might aswell spend that little extra and use the best. I know this oven isnt followed like some others but my dad is from the old school and just learns off others that has done it.

P.S we finished the dome yesterday so ill get some pics up later.
                Regards
                Adrian

Comment

Finally everything is just about done.

Here is the finished dome (my dad and his maltese mate).

He wanted a wall frontage so up that went.

Then the kaowool blanket

Regards
                  Adrian

Comment

Making sure we covered everywhere (with some double ups in certain spots) and then the chicken wire to prep it for the render.

My brother inlaw rendering it

Finished but not real smooth as my father wants to paint it and have a rough feel (olden day looking oven). Came up good thow

Last edited by Ageo308; 10-20-2007, 08:50 PM.
                    Regards
                    Adrian

Comment

So just the chimney needs to be bricked up a little more and some finishing touches, but other than that this time next week we will be curing it.

Regards
                      Adrian

Comment

Looks good. One question, you are going to make the opening to the chimney larger than one brick aren't you?
                        http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
                          Looks good. One question, you are going to make the opening to the chimney larger than one brick aren't you?
                          Thats what i told my dad at least 2 bricks, he's convinced 1 is enough since his mother's old wood oven (made mainly for bread) is the same. I still dont understand the real reason for making it larger? anyone care to explain?
                          Regards
                          Adrian

Comment

Well, the larger the opening the more room smoke and hot gasses have to go up the chimney.. With a one brick width all your smoke and fire is going to lick the inside and front of the arch center and blacken it. It would be interesting to know if the front of the other oven is like that, I'm sure it is, it has to be.
                            http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
                              Well, the larger the opening the more room smoke and hot gasses have to go up the chimney.. With a one brick width all your smoke and fire is going to lick the inside and front of the arch center and blacken it. It would be interesting to know if the front of the other oven is like that, I'm sure it is, it has to be.

Ok i asked my dad and finally got a reason. He said its a small 1 brick hole on the opening but then opens up further (not sure how much) as the chimney is built. He said it acts as a suction which is better (he has built many more chimneys than i have).

The only way to really know is use the oven for a couple of months and see the effects.

Thanks for the heads up thow
                              Regards
                              Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X