Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Italian, Australian Oven

Originally posted by Ageo308 View Post
    He said its a small 1 brick hole on the opening but then opens up further (not sure how much) as the chimney is built. He said it acts as a suction which is better
    It's a venturi. Bernoulli's Principle.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      It's a venturi. Bernoulli's Principle.

Is it? lol i dont even know.
      Regards
      Adrian

Comment

Way to go guys. That's excellent.

I see that you built the shape for your oven enclosure with wire, but not rebar. How did that work? Also, how are you going to waterproof the oven?

Looking good.
        James
        Last edited by james; 10-21-2007, 10:58 PM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
          Way to go guys. That's excellent.

I see that you built the shape for your oven enclosure with wire, but not rebar. How did that work? Also, how are you going to waterproof the oven?

Looking good.
          James
          James, when rendering we always use chicken wire (recommended by the field furnace guys also). Has worked for 100's of ovens (over the years).

As for waterproofing do you mean the dome? (im assuming yes) if yes water doesnt penetrate render (a mixture of builders clay, sand and cement). Its like when you cement render a house, water doesnt penetrate the walls. And it wont affect the heating of the oven because of the insulation (the blanket is over 2 inch's thick and in some areas we are doubled up). So the heat from the oven will be absorbed by the bricks/mortar and then the rest is soaked up from the insulation.

To be honest this is a 1st for building 1 but we have seen many been built and have gotten advice from people that have built many for years. The only way to really know if its good or not is too actually use the oven for 2 months and then see.

hopefully everything should be fine

A good example was today, outside today it reached 37 degrees Celcius (98.6 degrees F). But inside the dome it was really cool as the insulation kept the heat out (which would work vica versa, meaning it will keep the cold out when raining).

Lets wait and see
          Regards
          Adrian

Comment

Very interseting..well, if he has built many than I'm sure its a proven method. Please try to document the chimney building with photos I'm very interested in seeing this and I'm sure others are as well.
            http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
              Very interseting..well, if he has built many than I'm sure its a proven method. Please try to document the chimney building with photos I'm very interested in seeing this and I'm sure others are as well.
              Ill see if i can get in there today and snap some photos off.
              Regards
              Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian,
                been watching your build progress and looks good. You are really close to pizza now.

What wood (type) do you have access to/going to use?
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                  Hi Adrian,
                  been watching your build progress and looks good. You are really close to pizza now.

What wood (type) do you have access to/going to use?

Thanks mate, i started curing yesterday (just a real small fire) and to test the chimney (not bad so far).

The wood im using just to start the fire is small sticks (old) and the larger peices we have heaps left over old wood fence pailings (they seem to work well). What im going to do is use thow to fire it up, then buy some apple wood and use it for pizzas (throw it in when the temp has been reached).

Ill try and take some photos of the chimney but i can only do it from the bottom.
                  Regards
                  Adrian

Comment

Working...
                  X