X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

It's nice to be able to make more progress posts to my enclosure thread!

I finished up the framing last night. I'm amazed at how sturdy the structure became as I screwed in the last few parts. It's finally starting to look like something.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

That gets on my goat, too. Here the shops decide what you can and can't build for the whole country - if they don't sell it, you can't build it. No way they'd order anything from another country for you...

Lucky we live close to the boarder, so I can check out what German and French DIYers are "allowed" to build, too.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Robert,
    Thats what I had to go through to get my finish coat of stucco. Eight weeks before I got delivery to the store!

Someone, somewhere at the stores decided what we would use a lot of, and what we wouldn't. They don't stock it if it isn't used regularly, and charge extra for the product if you really want it. Hmmm, yes - good business for them, but somewhat unfair for products that are used everyday throughout the US and elsewhere, but are not the norm for your region. (Waaaaa )

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Have a store do a transfer. Contact the corp if the manager will not help. They do store transfers all the time. You only need to know the closest one that carries it. Costs are involved.

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Like Ken I'm pretty fortunate:

Within a 30 minute drive of my house I've found:
    firebrick/heat-stop 50
    HD/Lowes that carry the foundation materials/metal studs I'll need.
    I might even be able to find a double wall chimney from Lowes.

The only specialty items I've ordered:
    FB Blanket
    FB board (still going to use 3 1/2 per perlite/portland) as well
    KS-4 Plus - Still researching but I think I'll use this for my vent.

Dick

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied

You are right on George! That's why I asked....I have not been able to buy anything for my oven so far at Lowe's and HD....they don't even know what a fire brick is or refractory mortar....ciao Carlo

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

That torques me off. How come your HD and Lowes carry metal studs and mine don't? I don't get it! I can't find them anywhere! Perhaps its the huge supply of fir around here that makes wood less expensive and easier alternative for these stores.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
    Hi Ken, where did you buy the metal studs for the enclosure?
    Carlo,

Home Depot and Lowe's. They carry slightly different products, but they are compatible.

As others have stated, metal studs a very different to work with than wood. Now that I have the hang of it, I really like building with them. The other day I realized I needed to push back the front of my enclosure about 1/2" (to leave room for the hardibacker). With my cordless screwdriver, snips and pliers, I made the adjustment in about an 45 minutes. It would have been an all-day pain-in-the-butt with wood studs.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied

Hi Ken, where did you buy the metal studs for the enclosure? Thanks Carlo

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Ken, if I am correct, you have a 10-12" chimney base, with a 3' chimney flue? I was going to do the same, with my chimney flue being 3' too.
    That sounds about right... I believe the base of the Duratech Chimney mount is 12" square.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, if I am correct, you have a 10-12" chimney base, with a 3' chimney flue? I was going to do the same, with my chimney flue being 3' too.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Hi Dick... Ahh yes, our miserable Ohio Valley weather. I think spring may be just around the corner after this week's wave of rain and cold. Today's 70F high was such a tease!

My current plan is to partially cover the exposed bricks with concrete board and cut some standard house brick into splits to make a decorative red brick arch to match our house. It will be sort of a double arch... some of the cream arch will be visible behind the red brick arch. I hope it works as planned!

Here is what I'm shooting for:

Ken

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Ken,

What's the plan for the front arch? Were you going to leave it exposed or cover it up with concrete board (I hate to see that given the great work/detail you put in)? I was asking since having similar weather patterns (cincy) wasn't sure about exposed firebrick to the elements. Or were you planning on putting roof over it?

I just hate the idea of covering up my front arch.

Let me know.
    Thanks
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Thanks... now that the weather is back to cold, I'm having trouble getting motivated to work with water, vermiculite and cement. I'll probably do some cooking until a stretch of warm, dry weather comes along and then get busy building again.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Welcome back! I figured you were about done by now after all that warm weather down south.

I love coffee toys. I bought a Starbucks Barista automatic espresso machine a year ago. I don't know how I ever survived without it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X