My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Wow! I just watched that video. I wish I had seen it a couple of months ago. It does the job of explaining the process that words could never do!!!!!!

Comment

Here's a quickie update on our patio. I've been busy building some bar-height counters and a food prep counter next to the oven. The tile counter top is done. The food prep area has granite tile.

I wanted a solid piece of granite for the prep top, but $800 was over budget so we went with tile. (<$100). I was hoping to lay it flat enough to slide a peel on, but my amateur tiling skills weren't up to it. It still looks really nice and is fine for building pizza's on the peel (which is how we've been making pizza anyway).

Next step is to stucco. I bit the bullet and hired a guy to stucco it for me. My elbow and shoulder are on the mend and the Physical Therapist would shoot me if I screwed it up on stucco .
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Looks very cool Ken, nice place to be. Do you have fences in Kentucky or is that all your land?

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les,

We live in an equine friendly "5 acre" subdivision. Everyone has at least 5 acres. We got lucky and got an 8 acre lot near the end. We love it! Lot's a places for the kids to hike and explore. We have a creek at the back of the property that is loaded with fossils and a slave-built stone retaining wall. I need to do some research on the area to find out the dirt.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,
            Very nice job, great looking oven and patio area. Listen to your Physiotherapist.
            Eric

Comment

Sweet, I really like the pergola. Listen to the therapist, take some time to rest and don't wear out those joints.....seriously. I finished off both shoulders on my build (as well as a few other projects). Nothing a couple of surgerys couldn't fix, but I pretty much lost a year of fun and free movement because of it.
              I won't mention that you hired a stucco crew if you don't mention the fence builder I just used.....If anyone asks, YOU did a helluva job.

RT

Comment

Wow, that's great! Lovely sitting area and lovely suroundings.

It all looks so inviting and restful, like you'd want to sit down there and just not leave again. ...so maybe its a good thing I'm sitting half way round the world from you.
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks RT! I can definitely sympathize about the shoulders. After I built the arbor, my right shoulder hurt for over 6 months. I finally when to an orthopedic guy - he informed me I have arthritis... and I thought 44 was still young!

Oh well... I'm going to the gym now and working with a personal trainer. The shoulder is starting to feel better and I've lost 20 pounds in the process; so I'm better over all.

Frances, if you are ever at our end of the planet, you are always welcome to sit and relax as long as you like!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Comment

Ke
                    Looks Great. Love the Pergola. What are the details on the outdoor fan? I have an open pergola and bought a "wet rated" fan. The box bill be enclosed so I'm guessing I'll be okay. Just wanted to check before I install it.

Thanks
                    Dick
                    I'll have to post some new pics of my counter area.

Comment

Hi Dick,

I bought two "wet" fans and had the electrician install them. He said they were "technically" for covered porches. There is about a 5 or 6" diameter area on top of them that shouldn't be exposed to water.

My electrical boxes didn't quite cover this area so I fashioned some circular shields out of some heavy plastic (I think they were bottoms of margarine containers or something similar). We put the shields between the fans and the boxes and caulked them. So far so good!

Good luck with your fans!
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,

Thanks. My electrical box will be completely covered/sealed and "think" my fans are "wet rated" but I'll confirm when my electrician hooks them up. I just run the wiring

Dick

Comment

The stucco guy finished up in 3 days.

Here's to you Mr. Professional Stucco Application Guy!

Professional stucco job = $1500
                          Avoiding elbow and shoulder surgery = Priceless
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Comment

Finished! Our patio/pizza "restaurant" is officially done.

...and I have a beer can chicken in the oven as I type (but that's for a different thread!).
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Comment

Very, very nice Ken. Awesome job!

Les...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les! We had our christening yesterday with a Labor Day pizza party. We cooked about 16 full size pizza and appetizers. Everything tasted great on the new bars and tables.
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                                X