My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Ken, wouldn't the significance of the trust meeting the chimney at apex be as much of impact as strapping the chimney? Same thing... metal to metal.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Robert,

I think on a house, building code doesn't allow the chimney pipe to touch building materials, trusses, roofing, etc. You are supposed to use stand-offs, insulated bracing, etc.

Since this is a "free-standing fireplace" that stuff may not apply. I just want to make sure everyone thinks it's safe.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken

I didn't feel comfortable running by trusses against the chimney so I left a few inches of space and ran metal joists on either side of the chimney to connect the two trusses. The chimney does not run hot, but I was not sure how hot it would get in an enclosure with no ambient air to help cool. I was also concerned about roof movement and the trusses pushing on the chimney. The last concern seems to be unfounded as after I got everything in place and screwed on the roof got very solid.

Two things I would recommend would be to construct your roof in a way to leave an access point, if you ever need to open up and take a peek inside. The other would be to safety wire the vent anchor to the frame. Just in case it came loose the chimney would not be able to go anywhere.
        Last edited by wlively; 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM.
        Wade Lively

Comment

Originally posted by wlively View Post
          I didn't feel comfortable running by trusses against the chimney so I left a few inches of space and ran metal joists on either side of the chimney to connect the two trusses.
          This is almost identical to what I have now, except the metal joists on either side of the chimney actually touch the chimney to brace it.

Even without the roofing or wall material, the structure is firming up more and more as I add components. I'll probably add some hurricane ties (made of scrap studs) to the trusses to make darn sure they won't go anywhere in a storm.

leave an access point, if you ever need to open up and take a peek inside.
          The access point idea sounds like a winner.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,

Truss work looks very nice. I also agree access points are good.

To aid in getting rid of heat and moisture build-up; are you going to have a couple of screened louvered vents at the peaks? Just a thought.

Guerito

Comment

Originally posted by Guerito View Post
              Ken,
              To aid in getting rid of heat and moisture build-up; are you going to have a couple of screened louvered vents at the peaks? Just a thought.
              Guerito
              Yes, I plan on a narrow gap running the length of the peak, then a ridgeline cap on top. Also a couple of vents under the eaves.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken et al,
                I am thinking about throwing up a quick enclosure with a sloping roof and fill it with loose vermiculite, so I can begin my curing fires. It is -8 F today and heater and halogen have been running round the clock to keep mortar above freezing. The latest mortar was put down nearly a week ago, but I am thinking that any moisture not driven out by the fires may be a freezing hazard and a bad thing. I haven't yet decided on a final design for exterior so likely what I put up this weekend would be dismantled in the spring, making way for the final design.

My question, were it you what would you use (as material) for side walls and roof on this temporary structure?

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
                  My question, were it you what would you use (as material) for side walls and roof on this temporary structure?
                  Given the unfortunate tendency for the temporary to stretch into infinity, I'd make it REALLY temporary, think refrigerator box and duct tape.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ha! A dose of reality from dmun. Good call. Somehow things become good enough after you've used them for awhile.

Ken,
                    Regarding the studs touching the chimney, I'm not sure if stainless steel is impervious to corrosion that occurs when two dissimilar metals contact each other. That would be my only worry.
                    Another possible option is to purchase (What?? More money???) chimney straps and use that as an interior anchor, or possibly a roof mounted anchor box that surrounds the chimney giving the necessary 2 inch spacing from combustables. (yes, I know the studs won't burn ) There's a lot of different hardware for the duratech systems on the web.
                    G.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                      Given the unfortunate tendency for the temporary to stretch into infinity, I'd make it REALLY temporary, think refrigerator box and duct tape.
                      That might fly if not for my wife, who agreed to this entire project only on the basis of a perfect integration with her gardening and backyard. As mentioned in earlier posts she has already served me notice for the current tent like structure, so this can be transitional, but something better than a large kenmore logo in her face all winter.

Next?

Jim

Comment

Stucco now, enclose later?
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post

Next?

Jim
                          You can do what I did.
                          A little wire fence cage around the dome.
                          Cover it with screen.
                          And then pour you insulation in.

Dave
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                            You can do what I did.
                            A little wire fence cage around the dome.
                            Cover it with screen.
                            And then pour you insulation in.

Dave
                            PERFECT!!!
                            Thanks!
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                              Regarding the studs touching the chimney, I'm not sure if stainless steel is impervious to corrosion that occurs when two dissimilar metals contact each other. That would be my only worry.
                              George,

I never would have thought of the dissimilar metal possibility. What I'll do is move the braces back 2" from the chimney pipe and secure some leftover 2" Kaowool hardboard between the braces and the pipe. That will secure the chimney and avoid both temperature and dissimilar metal problems.

Thanks for the great brainstorming!
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Comment

Sounds like a great solution to possibly a non-problem. I stress about little things like that and ignore doing an awesome job on my dome. Penny wise and pound foolish........ kinda my style.
                                G.
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X