My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

I'm finally back from all the holiday activity with absolutely no progress to report on the oven. It's still out there covered with tarps getting rained on waiting for a 4" coat of Vermic.

My last adventure was a Christmas day failed attempt at Focaccia Bread. Tasted great but was tougher than shoe leather. 1 pound of James' white powder shot to heck!

The good news is that I received a Bialetti Moka Express coffee maker for Christmas. That's been a fun toy.

The biggest surprise was when my wife handed me a set of car keys on Christmas morning. I looked out at our driveway and found a "new" 1987 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton pickup (runs good/needs work). I guess she's officially fed up with me loading firebricks in the back of our '05 Honda Odyssey.

So, if you all can't find me, I'll likely be dividing my time between Forno Bravo's message board and the Dodge Classic Truck boards!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Welcome back! I figured you were about done by now after all that warm weather down south.

I love coffee toys. I bought a Starbucks Barista automatic espresso machine a year ago. I don't know how I ever survived without it.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks... now that the weather is back to cold, I'm having trouble getting motivated to work with water, vermiculite and cement. I'll probably do some cooking until a stretch of warm, dry weather comes along and then get busy building again.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken,

What's the plan for the front arch? Were you going to leave it exposed or cover it up with concrete board (I hate to see that given the great work/detail you put in)? I was asking since having similar weather patterns (cincy) wasn't sure about exposed firebrick to the elements. Or were you planning on putting roof over it?

I just hate the idea of covering up my front arch.

Let me know.
          Thanks
          Dick

Comment

Hi Dick... Ahh yes, our miserable Ohio Valley weather. I think spring may be just around the corner after this week's wave of rain and cold. Today's 70F high was such a tease!

My current plan is to partially cover the exposed bricks with concrete board and cut some standard house brick into splits to make a decorative red brick arch to match our house. It will be sort of a double arch... some of the cream arch will be visible behind the red brick arch. I hope it works as planned!

Here is what I'm shooting for:

Ken
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Comment

Ken, if I am correct, you have a 10-12" chimney base, with a 3' chimney flue? I was going to do the same, with my chimney flue being 3' too.
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                Ken, if I am correct, you have a 10-12" chimney base, with a 3' chimney flue? I was going to do the same, with my chimney flue being 3' too.
                That sounds about right... I believe the base of the Duratech Chimney mount is 12" square.
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Comment

Hi Ken, where did you buy the metal studs for the enclosure? Thanks Carlo
                  Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
                    Hi Ken, where did you buy the metal studs for the enclosure?
                    Carlo,

Home Depot and Lowe's. They carry slightly different products, but they are compatible.

As others have stated, metal studs a very different to work with than wood. Now that I have the hang of it, I really like building with them. The other day I realized I needed to push back the front of my enclosure about 1/2" (to leave room for the hardibacker). With my cordless screwdriver, snips and pliers, I made the adjustment in about an 45 minutes. It would have been an all-day pain-in-the-butt with wood studs.

Ken
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

That torques me off. How come your HD and Lowes carry metal studs and mine don't? I don't get it! I can't find them anywhere! Perhaps its the huge supply of fir around here that makes wood less expensive and easier alternative for these stores.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

You are right on George! That's why I asked....I have not been able to buy anything for my oven so far at Lowe's and HD....they don't even know what a fire brick is or refractory mortar....ciao Carlo
                        Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Like Ken I'm pretty fortunate:

Within a 30 minute drive of my house I've found:
                          firebrick/heat-stop 50
                          HD/Lowes that carry the foundation materials/metal studs I'll need.
                          I might even be able to find a double wall chimney from Lowes.

The only specialty items I've ordered:
                          FB Blanket
                          FB board (still going to use 3 1/2 per perlite/portland) as well
                          KS-4 Plus - Still researching but I think I'll use this for my vent.

Dick

Comment

Have a store do a transfer. Contact the corp if the manager will not help. They do store transfers all the time. You only need to know the closest one that carries it. Costs are involved.
                            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Robert,
                              Thats what I had to go through to get my finish coat of stucco. Eight weeks before I got delivery to the store!

Someone, somewhere at the stores decided what we would use a lot of, and what we wouldn't. They don't stock it if it isn't used regularly, and charge extra for the product if you really want it. Hmmm, yes - good business for them, but somewhat unfair for products that are used everyday throughout the US and elsewhere, but are not the norm for your region. (Waaaaa )

GJBingham

-

Comment

That gets on my goat, too. Here the shops decide what you can and can't build for the whole country - if they don't sell it, you can't build it. No way they'd order anything from another country for you...

Lucky we live close to the boarder, so I can check out what German and French DIYers are "allowed" to build, too.
                                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                                X