• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpringJim
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome Enclosure

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    ...the buscotti are good then? I need to try those.

what were you expecting Frances?

and you're right Ken, it needed some more toasting the second time...

Jim

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Hurray!

Friday afternoon we set up a build-your-own-pizza bar on the patio and cooked 10 pizzas (accompanied by a nice Southern Indiana red wine). We had a blast.

Saturday after lunch, the oven was still at 370F so we made a batch of Xabia Jim's Biscotti (pictures below). The biscotti's were great and we devoured them all. They were a tad chewy. I don't think I cooked them long enough the 2nd time.

After we were done baking the biscotti we decided to run to the store and grab a 7lb pork shoulder (Boston Butt). We rubbed it with Famous Dave's rib rub and put it in the oven at 8pm last night. At 9am this morning the shoulder came out and pretty much shredded itself. The oven was still at 220F. Our Sunday BBQ lunch was outstanding.

This was our first real trial of the fully insulated, completed dome. I can't tell you all how tickled I am with this thing. Everyone was thoroughly impressed. Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Here's to many more weekends and recipes to try and share....
    very nice Ken....

(you're not supposed to eat all the biscotti in one sitting )

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

accompanied by a nice Southern Indiana red wine

Indiana is producing wine? Gotta love global warming Great job Ken - the investment is paying dividends! You got to be proud.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I forgot to mention...

The enclosure is looking awesome!

I gotta get to mine............

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Congrats my friend.
    It looks like you made full use of the firewood that you burned!

It looks like(to me) that your WFO exceeded your expectations!
    That's a wonderful feeling.

Great Job!

How did you serve that pulled pork?

Dave

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

I'm just catching up with your progress - congratulations! You've sure been busy!
    The enclosure looks great and that first marathon bake session sounds like it was a hit.
    Guess you've got those Q.C. cuties to thank for keeping you on track .

Leave a comment:

• jet
    replied

Ken,

Your oven looks great! Is the roof metal? Was it difficult to install?

Thanks.

John

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    Southern Indiana red wine??? Is that close to Tuscany
    I knew I'd catch heck for that!
    There are several wineries in southern Indiana now. They seem to be turning out some acceptable drink.

Leave a comment:

• Ed_
    replied

Ken,

Congratulations! Looking back over your build has been inspiring, but your description of your weekend cooking might be the real kick in the pants that gets me started!

Well, that and finding some recycled bricks...

The biscotti look delicious.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Cool Ken, sounds as if you had a blast! ...the buscotti are good then? I need to try those.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Fun stuff Ken. It all looks great! Nice to do some retained heat cooking, huh?

Southern Indiana red wine??? Is that close to Tuscany

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Hurray! We had our first successful weekend of baking. My parents visited for my daughter's 11th birthday. She wanted pizza. So I hustled to get the backerboard, roof and chimney in place so the oven would look presentable.

I had a couple small curing fires in the last week but had yet to try "Pizza Heat" since the vermiculite concrete was added earlier in the month.

Let me tell you... This oven performed amazingly!

Friday afternoon we set up a build-your-own-pizza bar on the patio and cooked 10 pizzas (accompanied by a nice Southern Indiana red wine). We had a blast.

Saturday after lunch, the oven was still at 370F so we made a batch of Xabia Jim's Biscotti (pictures below). The biscotti's were great and we devoured them all. They were a tad chewy. I don't think I cooked them long enough the 2nd time.

After we were done baking the biscotti we decided to run to the store and grab a 7lb pork shoulder (Boston Butt). We rubbed it with Famous Dave's rib rub and put it in the oven at 8pm last night. At 9am this morning the shoulder came out and pretty much shredded itself. The oven was still at 220F. Our Sunday BBQ lunch was outstanding.

This was our first real trial of the fully insulated, completed dome. I can't tell you all how tickled I am with this thing. Everyone was thoroughly impressed. Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Roof is in place. I also finished installing the backerboard on the front. When my arms, shoulders and legs recuperate I'll add roofing material under the eaves and the the front exposed studs.

The second picture sort of gives you an idea of where the oven is in relation to the patio. The patio will eventually be covered by an arbor and I'll build a food prep table.

Leave a comment:

• vincent
    replied

It's really looking good Ken. Very nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

This morning I got busy with the backer board. I finished up the sides and back. I decided to leave the front open until I finish re-curing and have a few hot fires. I want to have access just in case.

As you can see, my Quality Control staff was on hand to double check my work.

Durock vs. Hardibacker:
    I used several sheets of Hardibacker and 1 sheet of Durock. I figured it would be fun to compare them since the cost difference was negligible. I'll write up my comments in this thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/c...-one-3838.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X