Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build - 1.2M dome

Hi folks,

Having planned to build a wood fired oven for a couple of years now, things are finally under way

Our builder gave us a head start by preparing the groundworks; now all I have to do is get on and build the oven. I'm planning on a dome with an internal diameter of 1.2M - a bit big for pizza but I want the space for bread - along with a BBQ, hot and cold smoker, and a tandoor.

So far we have poured the slabs, tiled the patio area, and put some brick pillars in place to take timbers to support a roof which should extend over the patio and the cooking area. Blocks, ballast, cement, and so on, should arrive next week ready to make a start on the oven itself. In the photos, the large slab is for the oven and the long slab for the BBQ, smoker, and tandoor. The smaller slab will be a worktop with fridge and storage space under. We put some ducting in place for electrics which we'll think about later.

I won't be making too much progress until the end of August, but hope to have more photos to share later...

JV

Looking forward to seeing this outdoor kitchen go up. 1.2 m (47 plus inches for us Yankees) is a big oven. I see you went with rebar instead of fibers. I am particularly interested on how you do your tandoor. Another UK builder built a parrilla in his outdoor set up.

He is his thread link
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-surrey-london
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the link.

For a long time I had planned for a 42" model. I decided to go large in case I want the extra floor space for a big bake. I agonised over the size for a long time, and perhaps I have it wrong, but time will tell... For the tandoor I'm thinking of buying a clay liner and simply providing a suitable enclosure; I've seen them made from a couple of flower pots, but the proper liner has just the right shape.

Comment

A little progress; started laying out the block work. I'm currently thinking that four courses plus the hearth plus 100ml of calsil and 76mm of firebrick should make a reasonable working height - approx 1160mm. I don't need all the space under the hearth and it's pretty big so I'm putting two walls across the middle. I'll probably fill the gap too.

Comment

Dry stacking these blocks seemed like a good idea - but some packing is needed in places. The blocks vary quite a bit.

Comment

Made a bit of progress this week - the base is stacked and ready for the cores to be packed with concrete. I chewed out a channel along the top and bottom of the blocks forming the lintel and wired some rebar in there - perhaps overkill, especially as I only have a small opening, but better safe than sorry

Comment

Nice work and a good start.

Comment

That is the correct way to do it. In fact you can get knock out blocks, bond beam or lintel blocks which have such a channel already cast into the blocks Using these then allows the omission of the exposed angle iron. (This point is perhaps a consideration for the revision of the plans)
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

That's interesting - I hadn't realised that such blocks were available. My local builders merchants only stock the basic blocks.

I suppose I could simply have propped it until the concrete is poured, but we had some old angle iron free...

Comment

Long day today filling the cores. I seem to recall seeing that some folk don't fill all of the cores... which I suppose is fine. I decided to fill the lot, and soon wished I hadn't! At least I have a mixer for this - realised today that this is the first time I haven't mixed up my concrete/cement on a board

Will fill the central space with more concrete and assorted rubble later...

Comment

Filled the central void with concrete and rubble then framed up for the hearth and added some 1/2" rebar and 1/4" mesh. All ready for the big pour - on Monday, weather permitting - thankfully with some friends coming to lend a hand

I added a couple of tension wires on each side to help prevent bowing of the frame - can't remember now which post I saw that on, but thanks for the idea whoever you were!

Comment

With help from friends, the slab has been poured

Comment

Been sorting through a mountain of firebricks

I have nine at 12" x 12" x 3" which should cover most of the floor, and some 12" x 6" x 3" for the cuts around the edges.

I have some flats for the sides of the arches and for constructing the vent, but the rest are arch bricks. 3"/2.5" side arch bricks are pretty close to the dome radius I'm aiming for so should let me have pretty thin mortar joints, just a little bigger on the outside; 3"/2" arch bricks should be good for the inner arch; and I have some 3"/2.25" for the outer arch/vent area. The latter are not quite such a good fit, but still better than making it from flats.

With 4.5" thick dome, or more if I add some muck on the outside, I am wondering whether I should have more than 3" on the base, especially for bread... any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by jonv View Post
                            Thanks for the link.

For a long time I had planned for a 42" model. I decided to go large in case I want the extra floor space for a big bake. I agonised over the size for a long time, and perhaps I have it wrong, but time will tell... For the tandoor I'm thinking of buying a clay liner and simply providing a suitable enclosure; I've seen them made from a couple of flower pots, but the proper liner has just the right shape.
                            I too am anxious to see the tandoor! And will of course love watching the rest of the build Stand looks great.
                            TravisNTexas

Comment

As it happens, my brother is currently attending a course in India - when he returns next spring he should be bearing a genuine tandoor liner

It sounds like a long wait, but the oven will take a while and then there is the smoker and bbq too, so I doubt I will be complaining about the timing!

Comment

Working...
                              X