New build - 1.2M dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jonv View Post
    cnegrelli I dug out a photo that shows the break... it's only a small gap so its effectiveness is limited, but it does appear to help a fair bit.
    jonv,

Just curious if the break results in smoke escaping prior to going up the flue?

Marc

Comment

• Hi Marc. There is nowhere for the smoke to go. The gap is filled with ceramic fibre rope and even if it were not, the outer shell completely encloses the oven.

Comment

• Mate your build is impeccable. I haven’t seen such a precision build as yours, but there probably are some. As such I’m stealing ideas from your post. I just hope mine turns out as good. Cheers from down under !

Vince Ieraci

This is rocket science.

Comment

• Thanks very much, and good luck with your build In my view, the key to a good build is in the planning and research - I trawled through lots of builds on here to try to understand all the issues involved before planning my own and I think it was time well spent.

Comment

• Jonv, nice build and very informative. Thanks

Comment

• Beautiful build Jon
              Did you ever get that Tandoor vessel? Am curious as to the shape you are using.

Comment

• Sadly no. I was hoping to get one from India but I think I’ll try to make one - clay, sand, horse hair and some friends to stomp it then form it by hand. Haven’t really done anything since the gazebo went up - been a bit unwell - hopefully will get back to it later this year. I think the shape will be broadly cylindrical but bellied out in the middle.

Comment

• We have a pottery place here in my town. It is a government project and they will make me anything I like. Am just starting my build. Is over in the 'Brick oven Photos' section.
                  I hope you get well soon. I see the weather is still crap over there, so that must be depressing in itself.

Comment

• Oops, this thread is in 'Brick Oven Photos' as well

Comment

• Thanks At least I’m not missing good building weather!

Comment

Thanks At least I’m not missing good building weather!
                        Wahahaha. Will the upcoming UK heatwave prevent progress ?

Comment

I added a waterproofer to the render but I'll brush over some sealer later just to make sure.
                          What type of waterproof did you add to the render?
                          I can see that you have invested in 2 layers of the 50mm ceramic blankets, does the external layer of the dome get warm or hot when you burn wood? or is the insulation adequate?
                          I cannot stop gazing at your oven admiring the perfection in the details. very well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alomran View Post
                            What type of waterproof did you add to the render?
                            I can see that you have invested in 2 layers of the 50mm ceramic blankets, does the external layer of the dome get warm or hot when you burn wood? or is the insulation adequate?
                            I cannot stop gazing at your oven admiring the perfection in the details. very well done!

Thanks!

It was a while ago so I can’t remember exactly what waterproofer I used, but it would have been a can of ordinary stuff from one of the local builders merchants.

The insulation was the 128kg/m^3 stuff and is more than adequate - when the oven is up to temperature the outside is only just warm to the touch. The dense blankets are also easy to cut and hold their shape nicely, which helps.

Comment

• I see that you have left a thermal gap between the dome apex and the chimney/flue chamber, is this to avoid absorbing any movements from the variations temperature between two spaces?
                              Did you use in total 100mm of ceramic thermal blanket and 100mm of vermiculite?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The gap is there primarily to reduce conduction.

I didn’t use any vermiculite, just 100mm of ceramic fibre.

Comment

Working...
                                X